Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable Breakfast?

so it is summer now in Australia (i live in nice TROPICAL Queensland) and it is getting harder and harder of a morning now to A) face the heat of the stove and B) cook a hot meal of my regular feed of eggs and chicken and veg etc

this morning it -gasp- almost made me want to SKIP breakfast.

i know i know, my mouth feel dirty just saying it!

my question is….

i have a lot of good quality WHEY available to me, namely this brand…

USA Whey Protein Isolate | Professional Whey

and was wondering if this mixed with organic local full fat milk, or water, or organic coconut milk, would be an acceptable breakfast on those days when its already stinking hot and the last thing i want to do is cook?

(an no, i don't want to pre-make the food and eat it cold)

thanks
    if you don't like my choice of WHEY point me in the direction of what you think is good.

Your Whey looks fine.. Some people on these forums live and die Primal and wouldn't touch it, but a lot implement it into their diet, including myself. I don't see anything wrong with it, as Whole Milk + Whey is a staple in my current diet. If you don't have a lactose intolerance, you should be set. You can always add more to your shake to make it more nutrient dense, such as almond butter, spinach or kale, fruit, egg yolks, etc (Yes some of that sounds gross, but it actually isn't). If you have a blender, it may become your best friend.

I'm pretty damn jealous that you live in the heat, even if you're hating it right now. Much better than waking up and it being 23F outside!
    M / 18 / 155 lbs / 5'9" / 12% BF

Comment

Yesterday I woke @ 5 & didn't break fast till after 1pm. Then it was too hot at dinner so only had a mango & banana smoothy.

Comment

Cold hard boiled eggs are yummy, with cheese & cold meat (like ham) on the side. I know you said no pre made cold meals but it is just a suggestion.

Comment

why is skipping breakfast so strange seeming to you? many on here, myself included, only eat once or twice a day. if i'm too hot to eat, i'm too hot to eat.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I'm with Noodletoy. CW teaches us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I no longer believe that.

Typically, in the morning, I have coffee with a bit of half and half. Then I may or may not have a mug of bone broth with gelatin. If I wake up hungry, I have a couple of scrambled eggs or some cottage cheese. Mornings are usually cooler than later in the day..right?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

Whey protein is fine but you have other alternatives like dairy or fruits. Skipping breakfast is also an option.
              http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I still think breakfast is perhaps the most important meal of the day and that fasting is highly overrated. Then again I think mark is spot on with most of his broad points, but completely off base with others. Anyway...do whatever it is that makes you happy. I suppose it depends on your goals.

Perhaps it's the way you worded things, but why can't you premake foods like egg casseroles and then reheat a slice in the morning? Why do leftovers have to be eaten cold?

As for whey protein, I use it as a supplement. Which is what it is. Whey protein isn't a food group. If you can't get enough calories from whole foods, have a shake. If you are running late to work and haven't had breakfast, buzz up a shake in the blender. But don't make shakes a staple meal.

As for the brand you use, I have no experience with thaumatin, so I really can't say much about it. As for stevia, I think it's nasty, but others seem to like it. Personally, I'd rather have a few grams of pure sugar in my powder than any other type of sweetener, natural or artificial.

Comment

Have you considered frozen smoothies? I wouldn't recommend the whey all the time, I would suggest cracking some raw eggs in for protein. Maybe some cold meals like others have suggested. Smoked salmon maybe?
                  Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

sorry i probably didn't clarify enough in my first post

i have to have breakfast because i take a pill that i have to have in the morning and it must be taken with food.

secondly, i get that hot and yukky i don't actually want to eat, even if it is a cold egg, i don't want to eat. the idea of a drink that is cool and goes down easy is a lot more appealing.

what about Mark's primal fuel? he says it is not just a supplement but can be a meal replacement…

has anyone tried it?

Comment

Mark just said that because it is his product. I would just get the whey protein.

Also you could try liquid egg whites in a carton... A lot of brands just have only egg whites listed as the ingredient.

As we speak I am eating cottage cheese (clean, no gums) with blueberries and mango for breakfast. Maybe you only don't want food because it is too "heavy", and something not as such would be palatable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      ------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Powders, bars, etc are supplements. Use as such.

Tp's suggestion of cottage cheese with fruit is a good one. Perhaps yogurt woukd work. Or just fruit

Comment

I think if you read the ingredients list of Mark's protein, it's not strictly a protein powder. There is also coconut in there so it has some fat and probably some fiber as well as protein. In that way it is more of a meal replacement than a strict protein powder, because of the added fat and fiber.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

How about an avocado and some hard cheese? Or I would actually just go with some yoghurt if it was just to get something inside me to line my stomach for the pill.

Comment

tinned salmon or sardines mashed with avocado and mustard are a fave no-heat required meal for me.

if all that is required is a little bit of food, i'd have 3-4 oz.yogurt with some unsweetened cocoa and a few berries mixed in.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X