Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low carbs and hormones

I just found this article stating that low carb diets are great for fat loss/body composition maintenance, but can increase cortisol production. Thus, high cortisol levels lower testosterone levels and thyroid hormones, making muscle gains harder, and harder to mobilize stored fat. Plus all the other negative responses to imbalanced hormones. So what do yall think?
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-los...low-carb-diets
    Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Also, say cortisol levels and adrenaline levels are imbalanced, what kind of dietary changes would be recommended? I may have some imbalances. I get about 60-70% of calories from fat, 25% protein, and 10% carbs. Somewhere around there. I eat about 80g carbs/day and strength train 3 days a week. Are these hormones mainly reflections on lifestyle rather than nutrition?

Comment

Last time I read T nation the quality of articles was pretty bad but, but yes low carb diets can have undesirable effects, especially if you are exercising. I would stay above 100g at a bare minimum, up to 200g + if what you are doing is really intense.
      Last edited by AMonkey; 11-29-2013, 01:31 AM.
      http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

T Nation only cares about selling their products and promoting AAS.
        -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

If you read the article on t nation, it makes sense. Plus, they agree that low carb is good for fat loss, etc. The article just explains how to make sure you use it correctly for training. I washoping to get more feed back on my followup post.

Comment

fwiw, i am female and have been eating lc for 4+ years. it helped balance my hormones, which were falling badly out of whack and causing weight gain and health issues.

i think there is a lot of chicken little bullshit on the interwebz about lc being detrimental to hormones that is unproven and false.

read volek and phinney: "the art and science of low-carb living." or peter attia's blog.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

That's what I like to see, noodletoy. Thank you for giving me some info to reference. Ill check it out.

And as far as athletes go, Mark does say 100-150g is a good range, 200g if you are Michael Phelps.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
                If you read the article on t nation, it makes sense. Plus, they agree that low carb is good for fat loss, etc. The article just explains how to make sure you use it correctly for training. I washoping to get more feed back on my followup post.

T Nation ins not a valid scientific source. They are 100% bro-science. The contributors are all body builders, most of them staff that are trying to push products. 90% of the articles on there are nothing more than produt placement. They can't go 2 paragraphs without pushing one of THEIR products or an affiliates newest paid-routine. They rely heavilg on bro-science "you need 12 billion grams of protein to get swole bro!" They regularly mention abusing prescription drugs, banned drugs (like clenbuterol for cutting... in the U.S. clenbuterol is for HORSES) and banned substances like AAS. You are better off not reading anything on there.

Comment

@ryanmercer, interesting, i didnt find any such hype in that article, but ill keep my eyes peeled. I think its a bit harsh to generalize everyone one on t nation as "bro scientists", a lot of the athletes writing the articles have studied exercise science, and they have years of successful programming experience. Obviously, they are a business and try to sell their supplements, but Ive read countless articles that simply offer workout programs for free. And even though one writer said something to the likes of, "I know this program has an extremely high work load and frequency, and I wouldnt have been able to do it without X-Supplement, but that's just what this program is about", they leave it to the reader to decide if they want to follow the plan. Many of their programs are very simple and straightforward, allowing even people in the primal community to follow it and have great results. Even Mark tries to sell his supplements, even though if you eat 100% primal, organic, etc, they arent necessary. So let's just be cool about it, and like everything else we read, take it with a grain of salt. Thats why I cross reference. Not all bros are idiots.

Comment

T Nation promotes illegal activity. Experience or not, that's not a worthwhile source of information.

Comment

Dunno, I got a testosterone boost on low-carb paleo.

Comment

I checked my cortisol while doing steak and eggs and it was normal/low. So *poof* goes the bullshit.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
                          T Nation promotes illegal activity. Experience or not, that's not a worthwhile source of information.
                          C'mon really? Who gives a damn about drugs? FYI Clen is amazing for weight loss, though it has some bad side effects. Some people are willing to take that risk.
                          http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                            C'mon really? Who gives a damn about drugs? FYI Clen is amazing for weight loss, though it has some bad side effects. Some people are willing to take that risk.
                            Because injecting your body full of synthetic steroids, swallowing synthetics that are hell on your liver, taking horse asthmas drugs that burn up all available potassium in your system etc... aren't exactly paleo, or smart.

Comment

Working...
                            X