Ad Widget

Collapse

How much sugar is too much?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How much sugar is too much?

    My diet now is 100% complex-carbohydrates free, however now it is medium/high carb, all out of simple sugars from fruits and marmalade (50% sugar 50% fruit).

    However, even though my IBS is 100% cured, my immunitary system is completely immune to colds, my libido (and the rest of my hormones I guess) it's great and I just couldn't feel better, I'm worried that I might be eating too much sugar.

    I estimate my daily consumption of carbohydrates between 75 and 150 grams, some days all the way up to 200. Yes, it's not much by most standards, but it's all simple carbohydrates, 25% of it from actual sugar (in the marmalade).

    So, is this right or should I cut marmalade a bit?


    P.S: Also, I'll have some blood analysis in a couple of months, will that sugar affect it?

    P.S2: No, I can't eat complex carbohydrates, they trigger my IBS instantly regardless of the quantity

  • #2
    I don't get it... you feel great, but you're worried?

    That cognitive dissonance
    Make America Great Again

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
      I don't get it... you feel great, but you're worried?

      That cognitive dissonance
      About my blood analysis mainly, and also about eating so many simple carbs, you know, just in case I've been straining something out of eating so many simple sugars...

      Comment


      • #4
        No, I can't eat complex carbohydrates, they trigger my IBS instantly regardless of the quantity
        I had this problem, too! Horrible gas, etc. Now I can eat a huge bowl of potatoes! Take heart, these problems may not be permanent for you!
        Last edited by Knifegill; 11-30-2013, 02:43 AM.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

        Comment


        • #5
          I estimate my daily consumption of carbohydrates between 75 and 150 grams, some days all the way up to 200. Yes, it's not much by most standards, but it's all simple carbohydrates, 25% of it from actual sugar (in the marmalade).
          If your weight is good and your mood is good in addition to all the other positives you listed, I wouldn't worry about it. People often need to go VLC to cure something, and some folks use VLC to control hunger signals. But you're not really taking in too many carbs by too many standards.

          If you find yourself crashing or gradually eating more and more sugar in place of nutritious foods, then it would be time to put on the brakes. But for now, it sounds like you're doing great.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

          B*tch-lite

          Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

          Comment


          • #6
            That's a lot of marmalade. How do you eat it, from a spoon?

            Comment


            • #7
              How much sugar is too much?

              Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
              I don't get it... you feel great, but you're worried?

              That cognitive dissonance
              Lolling.

              OP: I wouldn't change something because of worrying from future blood tests. Sugar is a bit demonized around here. I have been eating more sugar and less starch to fuel my workouts and it has been awesome. I feel good and my mood has been much much improved since my lower carb days.

              Fact: starch is broken down into sugars almost instantaneously, starting with your saliva as you chew.

              Finally, "straining something from eating sugars": your body preferentially burns sugars anyway. No strain. In fact, it is much less stressful to burn than protein and fat... (Not that you should avoid the other 2 macros).

              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by turquoisepassion; 11-30-2013, 07:01 AM.
              ------
              HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

              My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


              Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

              " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                I don't get it... you feel great, but you're worried?

                That cognitive dissonance
                totes.

                you are still mostly "low-carb" in comparison to most westerners.

                just curious why so much marmalade?
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                – Ernest Hemingway

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just as a note on the "feel good" thing. Very often feeling good is a sign of health. But people with high blood pressure (as one example) often feel fine. People on drugs often feel very good. So, feeling good is terrific, but fortunately we have things like blood labs, bp cuffs, etc., to tell us when our body hasn't sent us the message yet that there might be a problem.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                  B*tch-lite

                  Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As long as your triglycerides and fasting blood glucose levels are low enough.... Hey I guess whatever works for you! Man, that must be some spectacular marmalade....;-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      How much sugar is too much?

                      No proof of health doesn't mean proof of no health. OP hasn't gotten tests yet so to assume his/her health might be comparable to that of those who only "feel fine" on the surface but really isn't... Is a moot point.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      ------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

                      My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


                      Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

                      " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        If your weight is good and your mood is good in addition to all the other positives you listed, I wouldn't worry about it. People often need to go VLC to cure something, and some folks use VLC to control hunger signals. But you're not really taking in too many carbs by too many standards.

                        If you find yourself crashing or gradually eating more and more sugar in place of nutritious foods, then it would be time to put on the brakes. But for now, it sounds like you're doing great.
                        Great then, I won't worry anymore

                        Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                        That's a lot of marmalade. How do you eat it, from a spoon?
                        Yeah, just like olive oil.

                        Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                        Lolling.

                        OP: I wouldn't change something because of worrying from future blood tests. Sugar is a bit demonized around here. I have been eating more sugar and less starch to fuel my workouts and it has been awesome. I feel good and my mood has been much much improved since my lower carb days.

                        Fact: starch is broken down into sugars almost instantaneously, starting with your saliva as you chew.

                        Finally, "straining something from eating sugars": your body preferentially burns sugars anyway. No strain. In fact, it is much less stressful to burn than protein and fat... (Not that you should avoid the other 2 macros).

                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Got it, thanks!

                        Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                        totes.

                        you are still mostly "low-carb" in comparison to most westerners.

                        just curious why so much marmalade?
                        Sweet, delicious, fruity marmalade... how couldn't I not eat a lot of it?

                        Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                        Just as a note on the "feel good" thing. Very often feeling good is a sign of health. But people with high blood pressure (as one example) often feel fine. People on drugs often feel very good. So, feeling good is terrific, but fortunately we have things like blood labs, bp cuffs, etc., to tell us when our body hasn't sent us the message yet that there might be a problem.
                        Unless those who do the blood test start saying something like: "Your total cholesterol levels are very high! Are you eating enough whole cereals? Primal what you say???"

                        Originally posted by RenegadeRN View Post
                        As long as your triglycerides and fasting blood glucose levels are low enough.... Hey I guess whatever works for you! Man, that must be some spectacular marmalade....;-)
                        It's the one from the supermarket, honey is too sweet and I'm apparently mildly allergic.

                        Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                        No proof of health doesn't mean proof of no health. OP hasn't gotten tests yet so to assume his/her health might be comparable to that of those who only "feel fine" on the surface but really isn't... Is a moot point.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Maybe...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                          No proof of health doesn't mean proof of no health. OP hasn't gotten tests yet so to assume his/her health might be comparable to that of those who only "feel fine" on the surface but really isn't... Is a moot point.
                          I never said either. I said that "feel good" isn't the end-all of gauging health. I assumed nothing. I said that "feel good" isn't the end-all of gauging health.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                          B*tch-lite

                          Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sweet, delicious, fruity marmalade... how couldn't I not eat a lot of it?
                            erm, by eating less? or none? ymmv, but my preference is to eat foods with no added sugars.
                            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                            – Ernest Hemingway

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I say > 30g sugar is too much.

                              Avg hunter/gatherer diet is roughly 20% carbs. So on a 2000 calorie diet that's 100g carbs (matches Mark's carb curve). Assuming consumption of very sweet plants (sweet potatoes and fruits) then assume 30% sugar (% in a sweet potato), so 30g sugar. That's the aggressive scenario.

                              I think Cordain says a natural amount is more around 15g. So call it 15-30g sugar per day, from plants. Also, if that's true it explains why the 150g many Americans eat is toxic (666% above levels to which humans are adapted).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X