Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguelinileugim
    started a topic How much sugar is too much?

How much sugar is too much?

My diet now is 100% complex-carbohydrates free, however now it is medium/high carb, all out of simple sugars from fruits and marmalade (50% sugar 50% fruit).

However, even though my IBS is 100% cured, my immunitary system is completely immune to colds, my libido (and the rest of my hormones I guess) it's great and I just couldn't feel better, I'm worried that I might be eating too much sugar.

I estimate my daily consumption of carbohydrates between 75 and 150 grams, some days all the way up to 200. Yes, it's not much by most standards, but it's all simple carbohydrates, 25% of it from actual sugar (in the marmalade).

So, is this right or should I cut marmalade a bit?

P.S: Also, I'll have some blood analysis in a couple of months, will that sugar affect it?

P.S2: No, I can't eat complex carbohydrates, they trigger my IBS instantly regardless of the quantity

• eKatherine
    replied
    Originally posted by ezzirah View Post
    So it sounds like fiber that is not broken down that is the issue, correct? I had a lady I worked with she has very serious IBS and onions where just evil. So that makes sense to me that onions do that to you. Have you kept your own personal journal of what all triggers "episodes" and what doesn't? Like the grapes maybe there are other things you can eat as long as they are very well cooked.
    If the woman you work with hasn't given up gluten, she should try that. I have read that 60% of those with IBS improve greatly when they stop gluten.

Leave a comment:

• ezzirah
    replied
    I was trying to quote what you responded to me, but I could not get it! LOL....

So it sounds like fiber that is not broken down that is the issue, correct? I had a lady I worked with she has very serious IBS and onions where just evil. So that makes sense to me that onions do that to you. Have you kept your own personal journal of what all triggers "episodes" and what doesn't? Like the grapes maybe there are other things you can eat as long as they are very well cooked.

Just a thought. Hang in there, there is an answer, you just have to experiment some.

Leave a comment:

• Hannakb
    replied
    Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Dunno. Wouldn't all of it be?
    I remember reading something along the lines of a calorie is not a calorie...
    Just because you eat a calorie doesn't mean your body can use it. I'm guessing you wouldn't get as much sugar out of say raw veggies because it's harder for the body to break down some of the cell walls and extract the sugars.

Leave a comment:

• Hannakb
    replied
    If vitamins & minerals aren't, why would the sugars be?
    I don't know either, just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• KimchiNinja
    replied
    Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
    But how much of that is bio available?

Leave a comment:

• Hannakb
    replied
    Assuming consumption of very sweet plants (sweet potatoes and fruits) then assume 30% sugar (% in a sweet potato), so 30g sugar. That's the aggressive scenario.
    But how much of that is bio available?

Leave a comment:

• KimchiNinja
    replied
    Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
    You love to cause trouble and you help no one.
    Actually I provided a shot at quantification, which could be of help. ^^

But yes, I do love to cause trouble.

Leave a comment:

• oceangrl
    replied
    Because when people are young they can "do well" for many decades before problems become apparent. Just sayin'...

"How much sugar is too much" is a very important question.
    You love to cause trouble and you help no one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• KimchiNinja
    replied
    So how about we all put our knowledge egos away and just support him for now.
    Because when people are young they can "do well" for many decades before problems become apparent. Just sayin'...

"How much sugar is too much" is a very important question.

Leave a comment:

• oceangrl
    replied
    Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    That seems like very low, especially since apparently my hormones (libido included) just don't work the way they should if I eat less than 100g or so...

Only complex sugars (and onions, apparently) trigger my IBS, both marmalade and fruit (boiled preferently) are completely innocuous. Though for some reason I can't eat too many grapes...

Most of it still comes from fruit, and the marmalade is 50% fruit anyway.

45g in Spain and for this particular brand.

My IBS is gone since I stopped with complex carbs (and onions, for some reason), my libido and hormones in general are working great since I started eating >100g of carbs a day, as long as the complex carbs are away and the simple are more than a 100g I'm open to suggestions, but thanks anyway!
    Thanks anyway? I am saying keep doing what you are doing if it's working for you.

Leave a comment:

• Miguelinileugim
    replied
    I say > 30g sugar is too much.

Avg hunter/gatherer diet is roughly 20% carbs. So on a 2000 calorie diet that's 100g carbs (matches Mark's carb curve). Assuming consumption of very sweet plants (sweet potatoes and fruits) then assume 30% sugar (% in a sweet potato), so 30g sugar. That's the aggressive scenario.

I think Cordain says a natural amount is more around 15g. So call it 15-30g sugar per day, from plants. Also, if that's true it explains why the 150g many Americans eat is toxic (666% above levels to which humans are adapted).
    That seems like very low, especially since apparently my hormones (libido included) just don't work the way they should if I eat less than 100g or so...

Originally posted by ezzirah View Post
    have you tried just the actual fruit and not the marmalade? or does that trigger your IBS (due to the fiber)?

IMHO, medical test are not the whole story. My cholesterol is at 200, my doctor don't worry about it has been there for years. I went to a health fair thingy my work was doing, my CHO tested at 200 and the nurse there was telling me to get on statins. I laughed her off, and so did my doctor.

Just keep doing what you are doing and IF something comes up in your medical test, then worry about it.
    Only complex sugars (and onions, apparently) trigger my IBS, both marmalade and fruit (boiled preferently) are completely innocuous. Though for some reason I can't eat too many grapes...

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced that there is such a thing as too much sugar, provided you are obtaining it from whole foods (e.g. fruit). Eating spoonfulls of jam may be another matter though.
    Most of it still comes from fruit, and the marmalade is 50% fruit anyway.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
    100g (about half a cup) of marmalade has 66.3g of carbs.
    45g in Spain and for this particular brand.

Ya know..if op is doing well, why don't we just stop analyzing. I seem to remember when he first posted, he had several problems (op, forgive me if I have you confused with someone else), and those problems seem to have been fixed by what he is doing. So how about we all put our knowledge egos away and just support him for now.

My IBS is gone since I stopped with complex carbs (and onions, for some reason), my libido and hormones in general are working great since I started eating >100g of carbs a day, as long as the complex carbs are away and the simple are more than a 100g I'm open to suggestions, but thanks anyway!

Leave a comment:

• oceangrl
    replied
    Ya know..if op is doing well, why don't we just stop analyzing. I seem to remember when he first posted, he had several problems (op, forgive me if I have you confused with someone else), and those problems seem to have been fixed by what he is doing. So how about we all put our knowledge egos away and just support him for now.

Leave a comment:

• eKatherine
    replied
    Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced that there is such a thing as too much sugar, provided you are obtaining it from whole foods (e.g. fruit). Eating spoonfulls of jam may be another matter though.
    100g (about half a cup) of marmalade has 66.3g of carbs.

Leave a comment:

• AMonkey
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X