Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on 14 day RAW VEGAN detox??

I am currently experimenting with my diet and would like some opinions and experience on these types of detoxes.

Bogus crap or offers long term benefits?

I am trying to heal and reverse many health problems. I have attempted low carb, Primal, Paleo, veganism etc. I have considered a water fast but it would be too extreme. Any ideas? I am combining this with 15-20 hours of daily intermittent fasting. Never attempted a detox for such a prolonged period of time, a day at most.

What are you detoxing for?
    Why does it have to be or so long?

Comment

I would imagine your social life would suffer for 2 weeks.
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Why the detox? Dropping vanity Pounds or for health?

For health, detoxes are super unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by cindy01 View Post
          I have attempted low carb, Primal, Paleo, veganism etc.
          How long have these attempts been and how strict? I think you need to stick with something for at least 6 months, maybe longer before you can evaluate the benefits. Jumping from diet to diet doesn't get it done, at least in my experience.

I generally think detox is nonsense, just stop eating the bad stuff and go with what you determine is best for you. The body will take care of the clean up without any special products or methods. GLTY

Comment

The idea that the body can become toxic and need a strict, harsh diet (or cleanse) to rid it of this supposed toxicity is bogus.

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
              Why the detox? Dropping vanity Pounds or for health?

For health, detoxes are super unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
              What are you detoxing for?
              Why does it have to be or so long?
              Mainly insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia issues. To add to the list; brain fog, low energy, lack of productivity, constipation, poor concentration, short attention span, high abdominal fat and blurry vision.

Comment

Mainly insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia issues. To add to the list; brain fog, low energy, lack of productivity, constipation, poor concentration, short attention span, high abdominal fat and blurry vision.
                And raw veganism will somehow fix this?

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                  And raw veganism will somehow fix this?

Sent via lightsaber
                  Low carb was the advice relentlessly parroted throughout the many blogs and websites I visited prior to my ketosis stint. Oh did it worsen my symptoms. Not going back there, ever.

Tried Primal/PHD moderate carb. No improvement. Could probably sprint for a few meters (at this point my body would enter chronic fatigue mode when climbing a flight of stairs)

Attempted Ray Peat briefly, eliminating starch improved my symptoms but not significantly.

Now reattempting the standard low carb, no starch or sugar, only green veggies. Hypoglycemic symptoms improving, however, at the expense of my energy and overall mental clarity. Yes, I am eating enough fat. 200g a day!
                  Last edited by cindy01; 11-30-2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Now hold on here, people. I think you're discounting a few very positive things about raw veganism for a short amount of time.

It's not going to kill you. People have been nutritionally devoid for years through SAD. Why not 2 weeks?

I think it's a great way to detox. Not in the sense that you're clearing out your liver, but you're actually lightening the load on your body for a short period of time by eating easier foods to digest than heavy meats. I also think the psychological benefits are huge - even if it doesn't really "clean" anything, your mind thinks so. This positive psychological thinking can help people with many different symptoms, especially in OP's case, where she tried many things and they didn't work.

Imo, something worth trying, just not good for the really long term. just like all the other hacks our forums have been through...

Comment

Did you try going gluten-free without eliminating other carbs? Are you gluten-free now? Brain fog is a red flag for gluten intolerance, also constipation is common.

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      ...you're actually lightening the load on your body for a short period of time by eating easier foods to digest than heavy meats. I also think the psychological benefits are huge - even if it doesn't really "clean" anything, your mind thinks so. This positive psychological thinking can help people with many different symptoms, especially in OP's case, where she tried many things and they didn't work.
                      I can think of a number of reasons why some people might feel better on a raw vegan diet (at least for a while), but digestibility isn't one of them. Humans are not evolved to digest raw cellulose or plant seeds. A person consuming that diet will automatically absorb less nourishment from the food they eat.
                      Last edited by eKatherine; 11-30-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

You didn't say how long you had tried the other ways of eating. If you did it for less than 3 months at any given time, then it wasn't enough time. These problems didn't get here overnight, so they won't be fixed overnight.

What exactly do you mean when you say you tried "low carb"? There's a lot of different interpretations to that. I'm thinking raw vegan by it's very nature is also going to be fairly low carb unless you have a lot of fruit and starchy veggies involved.

Almost all of your symptoms can be pointed back to the insulin and hypoglycemia issues with a passing glance at thyroid issues. Have you had your TSH checked lately? THose problems you're having can also be hypothyroidism.

The big thing is you have to decide on a way of eating that you think may solve the problem and then stick with it, as another poster said, for 6 months or so to see if there really will be any change.

Have you tried just removing processed food? Don't call it a diet, don't try any one method more than others, just get rid of processed food. If it has an ingredient list, don't eat it. This almost naturally removes most grain since those are rarely eaten by themselves, but leave off anything like oats or corn as well. You'll be pretty Primal if you stick to that and I think you may find that a lot of your symptoms will abate, but you have to give it time.
                        Last edited by RobinNM; 11-30-2013, 04:15 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                          I can think of a number of reasons why some people might feel better on a raw vegan diet (at least for a while), but digestibility isn't one of them. Humans are not evolved to digest raw cellulose or plant seeds. A person consuming that diet will automatically absorb less nourishment from the food they eat.
                          While I personally would not eat a lot of raw fruits/vegetables, I certainly think cooked vegetables have their place in our diets. They also take much less time to digest than meat...have you ever felt completely full for hours off of cooked vegetables?

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            Did you try going gluten-free without eliminating other carbs? Are you gluten-free now? Brain fog is a red flag for gluten intolerance, also constipation is common.

Was strictly gluten-free for six months. Reintroduced gluten with no ill side affects. The same for dairy, except it causes some bloating and constipation but I have not consumed it for a few weeks.

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                            Now hold on here, people. I think you're discounting a few very positive things about raw veganism for a short amount of time.

It's not going to kill you. People have been nutritionally devoid for years through SAD. Why not 2 weeks?

I think it's a great way to detox. Not in the sense that you're clearing out your liver, but you're actually lightening the load on your body for a short period of time by eating easier foods to digest than heavy meats. I also think the psychological benefits are huge - even if it doesn't really "clean" anything, your mind thinks so. This positive psychological thinking can help people with many different symptoms, especially in OP's case, where she tried many things and they didn't work.

Imo, something worth trying, just not good for the really long term. just like all the other hacks our forums have been through...
                            I am committed to anything that will somewhat relieve my symptoms, even marginally. I frantically researched long term benefits of a detox but all I read was short term benefits of clear skin, regular bowel movements and high energy (probably associated with the adrenal rush many experience when going low carb or eliminating either of the major macronutrients, processed foods etc.).

Comment

I don't think a detox will help these. Not a quick fix solution. Finding a WOE that works for you is best.

Comment

Working...
                              X