X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ileneo
    started a topic Coconut Palm Sugar

Coconut Palm Sugar

I am new to Primal living, just about 4 months in. I am faced with my family coming to my house for Christmas this year, so I will have to have some treats & desserts available. I want to know if Coconut Palm Sugar is an acceptable sweetener for the primal life? Any information would be very much appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone!!

• picklepete
    replied
    IMO when it comes to sugar total quantity/fructose is my limiting factor, not the GI or BG levels as it would be for a starch food. It's like counting the calories in alcohol--they're present but not the main issue.

Leave a comment:

• poing
    replied
    I read that taking the sap from the coconut tree to make coconut sugar damages the tree and it cannot be successfully returned to coconut production, so it is an unsustainable industry. Personally I'd rather have the actual coconuts.

Any unrefined sugar will contain more nutrients than refined sugar. I use molasses, honey and unrefined cane sugar (turbinado, muscovado, demerara) as sweeteners. How much it raises blood sugar depends on what you eat it with - mixing it in food containing protein and fat will slow down sugar absorption.

Leave a comment:

• ileneo
    replied
    Thanks for your reply...I was more referring to the lower glycemic index and that it was a better choice than just regular sugar. I myself do not eat sweets and have cut out fructose completely from my diet for about 5 yrs. Most things we eat are processed in some way unless we grow them ourselves, and I was just hoping that it was a better choice.

Leave a comment:

• picklepete
    replied
    If you're limiting fructose then it's not much different than refined sugar. "Seasoning" doses from a teaspoon are fine.

Are the guests primal? Once a year treats will have no impact. If I bake something with coconut sugar it's because I have it on hand, not the tiny nutritional difference. The quantity is more important.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X