Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The place I like has a separate "Gluten Sensitive Menu" which says "Possible cross-contamination in the fryer may occur in Seasoned Potatoes, although we take every precaution to avoid it. Gluten free toast is toasted in a non-gluten free toaster. Please consider your tolerance level!"

Since I'm not celiac, I'm fine with that. A couple of crumbs isn't going to really impact me at all. If you had a serious reaction, I doubt you'd be risking going out at all very often. I never like to put my health risks in someone else's hands, so if it's going to be them making the call as to whether I'll get sick or not, it's less stressful to just stay home.

I don't see the menu and precaution as being obnoxious. I think it takes a ton of money to have a completely separate kitchen for gluten free (from what I have been told, flour can stay in the air for up to 24 hours), and even then, one small mistake from the new crew member that doesn't follow a single rule, and you've got a lawsuit because you said it was gluten free. I think it's helpful for people who would fart the whole way home if there were breadcrumbs in the meatballs but won't even notice a lone wayward bread crumb.

That doesn't mean we're eating that way for attention, just that we're not as sensitive as some others.

ETA: That's why I very rarely go to Italian restaurants. I stress during the whole meal because they put wine in freaking everything, and I end up with a migraine for 3 days.
    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      I'm sure that's what they think they are doing. But what they said in that "disclosure" is that the "gluten-free" food they serve isn't actually gluten-free. It is intended for people who have no real reason to eat gluten-free, the kind of people who are said to eat that way because it makes them feel "special", and actually it can contain as much gluten as the untrained kitchen staff feels like putting in it.

It's not like they said, "We try very hard and have taken precautions to minimize cross-contamination, though it may happen." What they said was basically, "We make no special effort to try to keep the food on this menu safe, and yeah, whatever."

It would be really easy for them to offer a gluten-free option or two by purchasing pre-packaged gluten-free entrees. The gluten-free option doesn't have to be cooked on the same grill using the same utensils as the ones with the malt glaze. It can be something completely different. There are lots of options out there.
      The restaurant I'm referring to is rather expensive. If I got a pre-packaged, frozen entree there I would be rather upset...
      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

there are additional liability issues serving a "meal" from other vendors. if it causes illness in any way the restaurant is still in trouble, even if it's not "their" food.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I don't have any heavy duty sensitivities, so on the rare occasion that I eat out, I try to eat at a nice place, then I just order something good and put my faith in the chef.

For something like trying a place that has a new duck hot dog with blackberry sauce, I just don't eat whatever bread it's served with. For someone where even cross contamination is an issue, this wouldn't work.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Yes, eating out is still a joy. Sometimes I tuck it within the 80/20 rules and just eat what ever I like and sometimes I stick to as primal as possible.

Fried food isn't the standard in Holland, so it's relatively easy to stay away from the grains.
            I normally order appatizers that are meat based (like carpaccio) and the main course is always a big piece of meat. The side dishes in Holland are almost always white potatoes and vegetables in all forms and sizes. So you can choose what ever fits into the diet.
            Next to that, I try to order grilled meat as most of the times they don't use oils or butters with that.

Desert is a whole other thing, as eating out is a treat, the desert can be what ever I like. Most of the time it's something chocolate based.
            My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X