Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goat butter vs Cows butter

Could someone explain the difference between the 2.
    I have bought some goat butter just wanted to try and have something different ?
    Is there less lactose in goat dairy or something ???

From London England UK

Fat particles in goats milk are smaller & doesn't separate like cows (floats to the top).
    Butter is mostly fat & my understanding is less lactose then milk

Comment

Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
      Fat particles in goats milk are smaller & doesn't separate like cows (floats to the top).
      Butter is mostly fat & my understanding is less lactose then milk
      Obviously the former wouldn't matter with butter.

As to the latter, does butter have much lactose in it anyway?

Comment

Goat butter vs Cows butter

Everything goat tastes a bit more gamey to me. As to the nutritional profile... it is different (goat dairy supposedly has more) and those who are sensitive to cow dairy might not be so to goat dairy.

Butter still has some milk solids in it. clarified butter has almost zero.
        Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-03-2013, 08:42 AM.
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Supposedly those that are sensitive to cow's milk may be able to tolerate goat's milk better. You would think the same applies to butter and cheese; although, as mentioned, butter has very little in it other than fat. A person would have to be extremely sensitive to dairy if even butter bothered them.

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
            Everything goat tastes a bit more gamey to me.
            yes, despite having access to goat milk (and therefore cream) for some years i still prefer cow's milk which is frustrating because raw cow's milk is £2.5/litre (about 2.5x normal whole milk)

Comment

We get raw goat milk and it is naturally homogenized, no cream on top. I don't understand how you get goat butter. Maybe goats in other areas have fattier milk. Where I live goat butter isn't possible.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

making goat butter:

How To Make Butter From Goat Milk - Real Food - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

my understanding is the lactose content is about the same in goat's milk, vs, cow, but the casein is less.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Goat butter tastes like goat. I bought it once, but it wasn't worth making a trip to the city to a specialty shop.

Comment

Can't wait to try it 2night

From London England UK

Comment

i like it. i also love goat "brie" when i can get it.
                      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
                        Can't wait to try it 2night

From London England UK
                        Was nice not as strong and more acidic than cows I thought , only had 10g over some pan fried rabbit liver though

From London England UK

Comment

Goat butter is pure white like Ivory soap and about $20/lb. here.
                          | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Working...
                          X