Ad Widget

Collapse

Doctor calling me back soon after blood tests - what info to ask for...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor calling me back soon after blood tests - what info to ask for...

Hi there

Been Paleo for a while enow and all going good etc

I had some blood tests done earlier in the week to test for diabetes, cholesterol, anaemia…

Outside of "do I have it…" ;-) what should I ask the doctor in terms of information to take away. I'd like the facts and figures to use so when I'm reading up on stuff I have the right information.

I'm going to ask for the HDL and LDL of my cholesterol test but was wondering what else is worth asking for…if in deed there is anything!

Thanks in advance
    UK PBer

I would just ask for the full lab results. They should be able to provide you with a printed copy.

I guess if they did a full anemia workup, it could be helpful to know your ferritin, TIBC (total iron-binding capacity), and UIBC (unsaturated iron binding capacity) in addition to your hemoglobin. If your ferritin is tapped out, that indicates iron deficiency. From what I have heard (Chris Kresser and Anthony Colpo) you want low-normal ferritin (25-75 ng/mL). If it's too high it can cause oxidative damage.

Chris Kresser's AHS 2012 presentation:
    Iron Behaving Badly: The Role of Iron Overload in Metabolic Disease

Anthony Colpo on iron:... well, I tried to access Anthony's site, but it appears to be down at the moment. Google can give you the link as fast as I can though :-)

Comment

Thats brilliant thanks so much Yodiewan!!!! Appreciated - I'll check out the sites as well! Always up for new information!
      UK PBer

Comment

@yodiewan All done - didn't do all the tests I thought they were doing but I got a few measurements including one from what you recommended to ask for

thanks

Oh and I'm happy because they all came back healthy and no diabetes :-) GO PALEO! :-) lol
        UK PBer

Comment

Originally posted by spursberry View Post
          @yodiewan All done - didn't do all the tests I thought they were doing but I got a few measurements including one from what you recommended to ask for

thanks

Oh and I'm happy because they all came back healthy and no diabetes :-) GO PALEO! :-) lol
          Awesome! I need to lower my fasting glucose (oddly post-prandial seems to be fine). I have a strong family history of diabetes. So I am always happy to hear when people prevent or reverse diabetes with lifestyle and diet.

Comment

I was getting close to danger levels but Paleo lifestyle change - inc workout/fitness - have, today has shown, changed that.

Thanks for your help today

All the best
            UK PBer

Comment

Working...
            X