Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt & how much?

Never really count / weigh the salt I use but in general how much do most people use on average?

Is there an actual primal guideline or recommendation?

From London England UK

I don't measure how much salt I use, but I use quite a lot. I figure I don't eat processed foods (besides canned meats occasionally) so I need it. I really like the pink himalayan variety.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

My blood pressure is low, so I'm liberal with salt. Currently I have Mediterranean Salt, but next time will go for Selina's Celtic. According to Sally Fallon, Weston Price's research showed that cultures (just over 100 years ago) always found a way to get sea salt. Without it, we can't produce HydroChloric Acid in our stomach. For that reason, I have some with every meal.

Comment

It varies hugely for me based on how much i am exercising/sweating, and the latter is influenced by the weather. When it is 107F in Tucson, I need a lot more salt than during the winter (now).

I go by how i feel. Some of my indicators include dizziness, and how water tastes. If I get dizzy easily, or if water tastes lousy it is typically an indicator that my electrolytes are out of balance.

If I am hiking in the summer heat, or doing a long run I proactively eat more salt or drink an electrolyte beverage. A few pork rinds can be a good salt hit as well

My needs seem to be too variable to attempt to control consciously. YMMV - if your sweat volume is pretty constant, you may have more luck trying to have more control.
        Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Comment

If you crave salt, eat more. Cravings are your body trying to tell you something.

Comment

When I first went Paleo I had only read Cordain's book so I cut out nearly all salt. My cooking really suffered. Chris Kresser's report on salt was what really convinced me it was OK and in fact probably harmful to restrict it too much.
            Shaking Up the Salt Myth: Healthy Salt Recommendations

Comment

A healthy body has many ways to manage sodium (and its counterpart potassium). IIRC global ad libitum average tends toward 3g of each per day, and the effects of fussing over it are generally weak.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I never restrict salt - I like the Himalayan pink and the Celtic grey salts, put lots on everything.

Comment

I just salt to taste and never restrict. If I'm doing lots of cardio I add some salt to my water.
                  http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

never measure and use it on most savory things. as mentioned above, i don't eat processed foods so don't worry about it.

my pantry has kosher salt, normandy sea salt, celtic sea salt, smoked salt and himalayan pink. i think using a variety is good for the trace minerals.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

There's no absolute level of salt that's categorically bad, per se, if you're seasoning your own food and working within the context of what you crave and find flavorful. The main thing that screws with your blood pressure is the ratio of sodium to potassium (1:1 is ideal, but as long as they're reasonably close you're doing ok). If you find yourself craving more salt and really worry about it, just make sure to have some potassium rich leafy greens, cabbage or some nuts with your salt.

I remember an MDA post from a while ago that says as a general rule of thumb, somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon a day will probably be ideal for most people, but also remember this is averaged out over time and doesn't have to be a tabulated day by day thing. There are some days I drool at the thought of more salt, and some where I cringe at it. eKatherine's recommendation to eat according to cravings is one that's worked pretty well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                        There's no absolute level of salt that's categorically bad, per se, if you're seasoning your own food and working within the context of what you crave and find flavorful. The main thing that screws with your blood pressure is the ratio of sodium to potassium (1:1 is ideal, but as long as they're reasonably close you're doing ok). If you find yourself craving more salt and really worry about it, just make sure to have some potassium rich leafy greens, cabbage or some nuts with your salt.

I remember an MDA post from a while ago that says as a general rule of thumb, somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon a day will probably be ideal for most people, but also remember this is averaged out over time and doesn't have to be a tabulated day by day thing. There are some days I drool at the thought of more salt, and some where I cringe at it. eKatherine's recommendation to eat according to cravings is one that's worked pretty well for me.
                        Thanks
                        Perfect answer I'm looking for

From London England UK

Comment

Good science behind Na+/K+ ratio

Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                          The main thing that screws with your blood pressure is the ratio of sodium to potassium (1:1 is ideal, but as long as they're reasonably close you're doing ok). If you find yourself craving more salt and really worry about it, just make sure to have some potassium rich leafy greens, cabbage or some nuts with your salt
                          Yes, there is good science behind this.

Association of Urinary Sodium/Potassium Ratio with Blood Pressure: Sex and Racial Differences

"Dietary Na+ excess and K+ deficiency may play an important role in the pathogenesis of hypertension independent of cardiovascular risk factors. This association may be more pronounced in men than in women."

And:
                          Sodium/Potassium Ratio Linked to Cardiovascular Disease Risk - NIH Research Matters - National Institutes of Health (NIH)

"A high sodium/potassium ratio was a stronger indicator of increased risk among the participants in the study than levels of either sodium or potassium alone."
                          Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Comment

My blood pressure is normal, and low blood pressure runs in the family. I use as much salt as I want.
                            Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

I have heard (but never found an actual study to link to) that there is almost no culture on earth throughout all of human history that did not somehow manage to obtain 10x the current daily recommended dose of salt. So I do not worry about salt intake at all. And to the person who asked about brands, salt is a chemical. You're not going to get any better "brand" of salt because there is no recipe. Choose salt based on what kind of salt it is, plain, iodized, 'lite' salt, sea salt or other natural colored salts. The additions are other natural chemicals or natural algae that make it taste a little different or behave a little differently in recipes (for example because of larger crystals.)
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X