Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not worried either about my salt intake I do it to how I feel etc.
    But wanted to know if there was a rough guideline / recommendation amount on primal .

From London England UK

Comment

Originally posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
      Yes, there is good science behind this.

Association of Urinary Sodium/Potassium Ratio with Blood Pressure: Sex and Racial Differences

"Dietary Na+ excess and K+ deficiency may play an important role in the pathogenesis of hypertension independent of cardiovascular risk factors. This association may be more pronounced in men than in women."

And:
      Sodium/Potassium Ratio Linked to Cardiovascular Disease Risk - NIH Research Matters - National Institutes of Health (NIH)

"A high sodium/potassium ratio was a stronger indicator of increased risk among the participants in the study than levels of either sodium or potassium alone."
      I am actually wondering if it is not that you have too much salt, but too little potassium.

Now, after the MDA blog post about salt intake I Q'd Mark about it's link not to heart problems, but much more worrysome Multiple Sclerosis connections. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to come up in a Dear Mark post or anything.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
        Is there an actual primal guideline or recommendation?
        It would appear the optimal range is 4-5g, if we look at this study.

-----------------
        "The association between estimated sodium excretion and CV events was J-shaped. Compared with baseline sodium excretion of 4 to 5.99 g per day, sodium excretion of greater than 7 g per day was associated with an increased risk of all CV events, and a sodium excretion of less than 3 g per day was associated with increased risk of CV mortality and hospitalization for CHF."

Urinary sodium and potassium excretion and risk of card... [JAMA. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Comment

Before primal, I never salted anything (and used to tell my parents off for auto-condimenting their food). My blood pressure was 160/100. Now it's 110/80 and I salt everything but bacon and chocolate
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            I salt everything but bacon and chocolate
            +1

But if you cook with chocolate, salt it. Seriously, a dash of sea salt in melted chocolate totally changes its complexion. Lurrrrve it so much.

Comment

Working...
            X