X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryancarter1986
    started a topic Salt & how much?

Salt & how much?

Never really count / weigh the salt I use but in general how much do most people use on average?

Is there an actual primal guideline or recommendation?

From London England UK

• Reventon
    replied
    Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
    I salt everything but bacon and chocolate
    +1

But if you cook with chocolate, salt it. Seriously, a dash of sea salt in melted chocolate totally changes its complexion. Lurrrrve it so much.

Leave a comment:

• magicmerl
    replied
    Before primal, I never salted anything (and used to tell my parents off for auto-condimenting their food). My blood pressure was 160/100. Now it's 110/80 and I salt everything but bacon and chocolate

Leave a comment:

• KimchiNinja
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Is there an actual primal guideline or recommendation?
    It would appear the optimal range is 4-5g, if we look at this study.

-----------------
    "The association between estimated sodium excretion and CV events was J-shaped. Compared with baseline sodium excretion of 4 to 5.99 g per day, sodium excretion of greater than 7 g per day was associated with an increased risk of all CV events, and a sodium excretion of less than 3 g per day was associated with increased risk of CV mortality and hospitalization for CHF."

Urinary sodium and potassium excretion and risk of card... [JAMA. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Leave a comment:

• MEversbergII
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    Yes, there is good science behind this.

Association of Urinary Sodium/Potassium Ratio with Blood Pressure: Sex and Racial Differences

"Dietary Na+ excess and K+ deficiency may play an important role in the pathogenesis of hypertension independent of cardiovascular risk factors. This association may be more pronounced in men than in women."

And:
    Sodium/Potassium Ratio Linked to Cardiovascular Disease Risk - NIH Research Matters - National Institutes of Health (NIH)

"A high sodium/potassium ratio was a stronger indicator of increased risk among the participants in the study than levels of either sodium or potassium alone."
    I am actually wondering if it is not that you have too much salt, but too little potassium.

Now, after the MDA blog post about salt intake I Q'd Mark about it's link not to heart problems, but much more worrysome Multiple Sclerosis connections. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to come up in a Dear Mark post or anything.

M.

Leave a comment:

• Ryancarter1986
    replied
    I'm not worried either about my salt intake I do it to how I feel etc.
    But wanted to know if there was a rough guideline / recommendation amount on primal .

From London England UK

Leave a comment:

• sbhikes
    replied
    I have heard (but never found an actual study to link to) that there is almost no culture on earth throughout all of human history that did not somehow manage to obtain 10x the current daily recommended dose of salt. So I do not worry about salt intake at all. And to the person who asked about brands, salt is a chemical. You're not going to get any better "brand" of salt because there is no recipe. Choose salt based on what kind of salt it is, plain, iodized, 'lite' salt, sea salt or other natural colored salts. The additions are other natural chemicals or natural algae that make it taste a little different or behave a little differently in recipes (for example because of larger crystals.)

Leave a comment:

• Wildrose
    replied
    My blood pressure is normal, and low blood pressure runs in the family. I use as much salt as I want.

Leave a comment:

• Sonoran hotdog
    replied
    Good science behind Na+/K+ ratio

Originally posted by Reventon View Post
    The main thing that screws with your blood pressure is the ratio of sodium to potassium (1:1 is ideal, but as long as they're reasonably close you're doing ok). If you find yourself craving more salt and really worry about it, just make sure to have some potassium rich leafy greens, cabbage or some nuts with your salt
    Yes, there is good science behind this.

Association of Urinary Sodium/Potassium Ratio with Blood Pressure: Sex and Racial Differences

"Dietary Na+ excess and K+ deficiency may play an important role in the pathogenesis of hypertension independent of cardiovascular risk factors. This association may be more pronounced in men than in women."

And:
    Sodium/Potassium Ratio Linked to Cardiovascular Disease Risk - NIH Research Matters - National Institutes of Health (NIH)

"A high sodium/potassium ratio was a stronger indicator of increased risk among the participants in the study than levels of either sodium or potassium alone."

Leave a comment:

• Ryancarter1986
    replied
    Originally posted by Reventon View Post
    There's no absolute level of salt that's categorically bad, per se, if you're seasoning your own food and working within the context of what you crave and find flavorful. The main thing that screws with your blood pressure is the ratio of sodium to potassium (1:1 is ideal, but as long as they're reasonably close you're doing ok). If you find yourself craving more salt and really worry about it, just make sure to have some potassium rich leafy greens, cabbage or some nuts with your salt.

I remember an MDA post from a while ago that says as a general rule of thumb, somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon a day will probably be ideal for most people, but also remember this is averaged out over time and doesn't have to be a tabulated day by day thing. There are some days I drool at the thought of more salt, and some where I cringe at it. eKatherine's recommendation to eat according to cravings is one that's worked pretty well for me.
    Thanks
    Perfect answer I'm looking for

From London England UK

Leave a comment:

• Reventon
    replied
    There's no absolute level of salt that's categorically bad, per se, if you're seasoning your own food and working within the context of what you crave and find flavorful. The main thing that screws with your blood pressure is the ratio of sodium to potassium (1:1 is ideal, but as long as they're reasonably close you're doing ok). If you find yourself craving more salt and really worry about it, just make sure to have some potassium rich leafy greens, cabbage or some nuts with your salt.

I remember an MDA post from a while ago that says as a general rule of thumb, somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon a day will probably be ideal for most people, but also remember this is averaged out over time and doesn't have to be a tabulated day by day thing. There are some days I drool at the thought of more salt, and some where I cringe at it. eKatherine's recommendation to eat according to cravings is one that's worked pretty well for me.

Leave a comment:

• noodletoy
    replied
    never measure and use it on most savory things. as mentioned above, i don't eat processed foods so don't worry about it.

my pantry has kosher salt, normandy sea salt, celtic sea salt, smoked salt and himalayan pink. i think using a variety is good for the trace minerals.

Leave a comment:

• AMonkey
    replied
    I just salt to taste and never restrict. If I'm doing lots of cardio I add some salt to my water.

Leave a comment:

• Zanna
    replied
    I never restrict salt - I like the Himalayan pink and the Celtic grey salts, put lots on everything.

Leave a comment:

• picklepete
    replied
    A healthy body has many ways to manage sodium (and its counterpart potassium). IIRC global ad libitum average tends toward 3g of each per day, and the effects of fussing over it are generally weak.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X