X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear
    started a topic Vitamins...skin issues

Vitamins...skin issues

I've read that vitamins can cause skin problems, particularly the B-complex. I'm currently doing without my multivitamin (Rainbow Light), as of 3 days ago, to see if it resolves a problem with red spots/small pimples on my nose. I've tried everything else...it's down to this.

Anyone have vitamin issues? Do you all take multivitamins? Why? Why not?

Thanks.

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Timber View Post
    Back in my twenties (in my 50's now) I was a performance cyclist and was constantly dabbling in supplements (all legal, "natural" stuff) to get an edge. At one point I became incontinent and that ended all of that for me. In addition to those supplements making me sick they also did absolutely nothing positive for my performance. If you believe everything your read, even within the paleosphere, you will be taking a multitude of supplements. Many times the information can be compelling and very believable but I have come to realize that the honest and respectable information givers only have about 1% of the information needed to actually make the recommendation. Our bodies are quite a bit smarter than we give them credit for.

As for the whey protein, I don't see any problem with it. While I believe that consuming a whole food will do more good for you, adding some whey should be ok.
    Regarding the whey (thanks for your input, incidentally...), I'm probably going to do a workout Monday and have my normal whey shake, just to see if I have a skin reaction over the next 24-48 hours. However, I may not...partly because I agree with much of what you say about supplements.

Your comment about our bodies being smart is absolutely in line with our (spouse and me) thinking. I am fortunate in that I'm healthy (eat healthy, organic foods...take no medications...exercise regularly). I've always felt the human body is an excellent regulator and will perform well if you don't go out of your way to disturb its normal balance. At the other extreme is someone like my mother-in-law who, bless her heart, believes the medical community exists to help you "fine tune" your health with prescription drugs. The evidence doesn't support her view, in that she is constantly taking something new to combat the effects of some previous drug she took to "correct" some perceived ill that she suffers. Her entire body is a stew of medicines, and it would be hard to imagine a natural balance occurring in that environment.

But I digress... Whey shakes, while a natural substance, are something one must go out of one's way to ingest. The effect on me, after I've had one, is kind of like an adrenaline "hit", and that's something that troubles me...it's not a natural body response.

Still improving, though...so it's likely the vitamins or the whey.

Please...any more comments would be most welcome. This is a great forum.

Leave a comment:

• Black Timber
    replied
    Back in my twenties (in my 50's now) I was a performance cyclist and was constantly dabbling in supplements (all legal, "natural" stuff) to get an edge. At one point I became incontinent and that ended all of that for me. In addition to those supplements making me sick they also did absolutely nothing positive for my performance. If you believe everything your read, even within the paleosphere, you will be taking a multitude of supplements. Many times the information can be compelling and very believable but I have come to realize that the honest and respectable information givers only have about 1% of the information needed to actually make the recommendation. Our bodies are quite a bit smarter than we give them credit for.

As for the whey protein, I don't see any problem with it. While I believe that consuming a whole food will do more good for you, adding some whey should be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    I am taking only vitamin D3 now. No multivitamins, as I said...at least for a week or so. It's been 3 days, and already my nose is clearing. This is greatly encouraging. But the other thing I haven't done, for 5 days, is drink any whey protein shakes made with Mark's Primal Fuel. Normally I'd have one after each workout, 3 times a week.

The vitamins were a daily intake issue, while the whey was just 3X week, so I'm still leaning toward the vitamins, particularly because the B-complex in the ones I was taking (Rainbow Light without iron) was in concentrations of 300-400%+ RDA amount.

If anyone has thoughts on whey shakes, though...be grateful for the input.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• noodletoy
    replied
    most multi's have too much of what you don't really need and not enough of what you do.

agree with the above about magnesium, k2 and will add d3, especially if you live in the northern hemisphere and work indoors.

Leave a comment:

• Martini
    replied
    Multivitamins are problematic like loafingcactus already pointed out. I want to add on this and be a little more specific why that is. Some Vitamins and Minerals are problematic if doses are too large and some are even problematic in small doses and tend to be counterproductive. The Second problem sometimes is the things you find under other ingredients.

So to me the better approach seems to supplement only vitamins and minerals which are known to have benefits and have very low risk and avoid those which have low benefits and a higher risk. Fortunately this is quite possible since most people dont have issues with the high risk no benfits ones anyway.

So what to take and what to avoid ?

You probably should avoid Calcium,Vitamin A and Folic Acid at least. To my knowledge those are the most common critical ones.
    You might want to consider Vitamin C, Magnesium, Vitamin K2.
    Those are very benefical on the one hand and have none to very low risk.

Vitamin D has also a lot of benefits and is completly safe if you choose moderate dosing and supplement K2 at the same time.
    If you are a vegetarien or low on eating meet Vitamin B12 might be worth it also.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I am concerned that you are taking a suppliment with megadoses nondiscriminately. Have you evaluated each of those megadoses for benefits and risks and decided that each one is at the right level to treat a disease you have?

If you want to take an insurance policy kind of Multi, I suggest a children's Multi as the doses will be small enough to be relatively innocuous. Do not take any Multi that has more than 100% RDA of anything. And then if you have specific diseases you intend to treat, take specific doses of whatever for that. Know the benefits and risks of the doses and know what you are trying to accomplish.
    First...thanks for your concern. Second...I'm not treating any disease. In fact, I am, and have been, a healthy individual. I take no prescription medications, I run and bike, workout, etc. I am 66 years old, 5'10" and 143 pounds. My spouse is a former World-Class runner, so we spent many years running regularly...though now, not so much. The irritation on my nose concerned me because I was given to believe it could be an outward manifestion of a staph colonization in my nose. I asked, over the past 6 months, to have my nose swabbed (cultured) for staph, but the doctors and a PA I saw said "no point...almost everyone has staph in their nose". Finally I insisted (3 days ago). Result came back negative for any bacteria, including staph. Good news, for sure. But given your comments, I am convinced even more now that my vitamins may be the culprit, as they contain (in the case of vitamin B-6 alone, as much as 300% of the RDA.

I am avoiding multi's for a week. Then, if my nose is completely free of blemish (it is already better), I may try the children's multi you suggest.

Thanks very much!!

Leave a comment:

• loafingcactus
    replied
    I am concerned that you are taking a suppliment with megadoses nondiscriminately. Have you evaluated each of those megadoses for benefits and risks and decided that each one is at the right level to treat a disease you have?

If you want to take an insurance policy kind of Multi, I suggest a children's Multi as the doses will be small enough to be relatively innocuous. Do not take any Multi that has more than 100% RDA of anything. And then if you have specific diseases you intend to treat, take specific doses of whatever for that. Know the benefits and risks of the doses and know what you are trying to accomplish.

Leave a comment:

• ryanmercer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear View Post
    a problem with red spots/small pimples on my nose.

Can you be more specific, are they just clogged pores, do you mean where your nose meets your face? That's not uncommon. If this is what you are talking about, get a microfiber cloth (amazon essentialls has like 20 of them or something for 10$). I use one on my face about every other day just a quick 2-3 passes on each bit of my face and my nose. You'll notice every pore you have the first few times as it gets EVERYTHING out of them. Then they'll 'close' up after time if you keep up on keeing them cleaned. I'd imagine the paleo equivelent would be sweating a lot and getting dirty then whiping the abrasive dirt off in a stream/body of water.

Leave a comment:

• ryanmercer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear View Post
    Why even take vitamins as a supplement at all? After all...GROK DID NOT HAVE VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS! Did he?
    Because the soil is greatly lacking in a lot of them, animals and plants do not have as much access to them, animals and plants are forced to mature faster to be sold faster which robs them of nutrient content... etc.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Why even take vitamins as a supplement at all? After all...GROK DID NOT HAVE VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS! Did he?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X