Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rutabagas?

Anyone here eat these regularly and if so how do you prep them? Seem to have a pretty good nutrition profile and I'm looking for a lower carb potato sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

I love them, but only eat them occasionally. For some reason, they are expensive around here. I usually peel and cueb them and then cook them in my pressure cooker and then top them with some butter. I think you can prepare them pretty much anyway you prepare a potato. Although I'm not sure they would deep fry all that well since they are pretty low in starch.

Comment

I cook and eat them regularly. I peel them, cut into 3/4-1" cubes, and pressure cook for 4 minutes. To steam them normally takes a lot longer to make them tender. Then I add butter and salt. There are usually leftovers to snack on or add to another meal as a quick vegetable.

Comment

Steam and mash is pretty simple. I'm a potatohead but you might try parsnips, celeriac, turnips. Also daikon or jicama for cold crunch.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Thanks for the info. I boiled and mashed with butter and a little heavy cream and they were very good! Def going to be eating more I these.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I peel and cube them, throw them in the crockpot with a hammock, fill with water and slow cook them. Add a pat of butter to the water for a little hint of butter flavor.

Comment

They're also good eaten raw, much like carrot sticks. As kids we ate them with hummus or sprinkled with lime and chili powder.
              Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
              34yrs old, 5'5"
              CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
              GW: 135lbs or less
              Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Comment

If you like sheppards pie, you can mash them and use them as a potato substitute for the 'tater topping..... I like them better than turnips, as they have a milder flavor than turnips. I'm pretty sure you can eat the tops just like you do turnip greens, which are pretty tasty cooked with bacon and chicken broth.

Comment

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                  I'm pretty sure you can eat the tops just like you do turnip greens, which are pretty tasty cooked with bacon and chicken broth.
                  Indeed. They are similar to turnip greens. Nice mild flavor and pretty tender.

Comment

Working...
                  X