No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on report "Cows fed corn, not grass, make for healthier beef"

Hi everyone,
    I live in South Korea and while researching the quality of the beef here, I came across this article-
    Would love your thoughts on this:
    Cows fed corn, not grass, make for healthier beef » Abilene Reporter-News
    Thanks,
    M.

The thing that I would question is if it is indeed increasing the nutrient content. The only reason I question this is because beef is a great source for saturated fat which is important in hormone production.
    Last edited by nburgraff; 12-19-2013, 08:41 PM.
    http://nickburgraff.com/

Comment

So he's claiming that corn-fed beef is healthier because its fat shows more resemblance to canola oil.

That's all I need to know.
      I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Comment

Ooh, ohh! It's opposite day again...but that means it's NOT opposite day at all.

We all know corn-fed is crap. You just walked into Mass and screamed "Hail Satan."
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Hmm. A one-note article that determines what's "healthier" on the basis of "saturated fat=BAAAAD", throws up the reviled specter of "trans fats" without distinguishing between industrial and natural ones, and fails to mention omega-3 vs omega-6 PUFA content and their significance even once. Yep, that's about par for the course in today's media environment. I suppose the oleic acid thing could be a nice talking point for the grain pushers.
          6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
          ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Funny stuff.

Would love your thoughts on this:
            My thought (singular) is mostly that you joined today just to post something that most of this community knows is wrong.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

He doesn't mention anything about PUFA content......he implies that saturated fat is bad, which is bullshit......what Cantare said.....I can't take this seriously
              The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
              SW - 192
              CW - 180
              GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

Par for the course. At least it is not the NY Times, which seems to be getting a little better.

For anybody wondering about the transfat comment Chris Kresser has that covered here: Can Some Trans Fats Be Healthy?

Comment

Apparently the author of the article doesn't read The Stockman Grass Farmer.....

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                    My thought (singular) is mostly that you joined today just to post something that most of this community knows is wrong.
                    Good one. And I might add that the reader is from South Korea reading a small town Texas newspaper. I suspect he's being paid to do "search engine optimization".
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                    X