Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter in a protein shake?

Sounds crazy, but has anyone tried it? I need to add a little fat to my protein shake and am not a huge fan of coconut (and I can't get past the taste of avocado when I've tried that as an alternative). I can only think that it would taste good, and I know from the bulletproof people that it froths up nicely when whirred in a blender.

It would be pretty clotty and nasty unless you downed it warm.

Try heavy cream or milk.

M.

Comment

Butter in a protein shake?

O_O

Try full-fat yogurt? If you eat nuts you can put almond butter/cashew butter in.

My favorite fat source in smoothies: melted dark chocolate and cacao nibs.

Also I love whole raw eggs in smoothies.

I am ashamed to admit I have tried a chocolate bacon smoothie shake before.
      ------
      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
        Sounds crazy, but has anyone tried it? I need to add a little fat to my protein shake and am not a huge fan of coconut (and I can't get past the taste of avocado when I've tried that as an alternative). I can only think that it would taste good, and I know from the bulletproof people that it froths up nicely when whirred in a blender.
        Haven't tried it, no, but I have put butter in my coffee. Then added protein powder. Wasn't bad, but it just felt heavy. Couldn't even taste it.

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
        O_O

Try full-fat yogurt? If you eat nuts you can put almond butter/cashew butter in.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't. But thank you.

Challenge Accepted.
        Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
        https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
        MFP Food Diary:
        http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
        (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

O_O

I'm on a Whole 30 now so I can't but... for the future... how did you make that chocolate bacon shake? XD
          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

O_O

Ooh nice. I like the idea of cacao nibs. Do they blend well or does it end up like a chocolate chip smoothie? I don't mind much either way.

Comment

Butter in a protein shake?

Whoa so many replies on the bacon chocolate shake!

This was a long while back as I no longer have bacon (eating peat) but approximately:
              ~1 cup milk of choice (coconut, cow milk, etc)
              ~1Tbsp raw cacao (unsweetened cocoa powder works but I recommend Nutiva raw cacao... Can get from amazon)
              ~sweetener (I used 1-2T grade B maple syrup to compliment the bacon)
              ~1/2 cup blueberries or acai berries (sounds gross but... Berries blend into chocolate well; feel free to omit or substitute)
              ~4 pieces maple bacon. You can just use bacon grease if your blender sucks.
              ~optional: 1 scoop chocolate whey

The proportions are approximate. Adjust as needed. I got the inspiration from chocolate-covered bacon and jack-in-the-box's maple bacon milkshake they had as a promotional. It was like drinking liquid maple bacon ... Wayyy too rich.
              -----------------
              Primalstudent:
              Cacao nibs being blended will depend on your blender. Vitamix and comparable will make the nibs 100% smooth. My craptastic ghettomama blender makes it into bits of chocolate goodness so I usually use cacao nibs and raw cacao powder together.

Also, coconut milk doesn't taste weird in tropical smoothies. Mangoes, pineapples, and etc taste good. Mango +coconut milk + vanilla whey.

Smoothies don't have to be sweet. Avocado + cucumber makes an amazing cold soup-type drink.

Coconut oil is often used in vegan smoothies for healthy fat. It doesn't taste strongly in smoothies and I can't detect chunks even in my ghetto 3.0 blender. Thumbs up.
              Last edited by turquoisepassion; 01-16-2014, 10:13 PM.
              ------
              HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

All you bacon afficionados:

Bacon. Fried. Rice.
                ------

Comment

I've blended hot tea with butter, coconut oil, whey and vanilla extract and/or cacao & maybe some stevia or a splash of maple syrup into a hot frothy shake occasionally as a meal replacement and that was good.

I call it bombproof tea
                  If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

All you bacon afficionados:

Bacon. Fried. Rice.
                    Hey, I had some of that last night. Rice fried in bacon grease with chorizo.

[Russian Voice]Was glorious 1700 calorie day.[/Russian Voice]

M.

Comment

Hahaha that made me laugh.
                      ------

Comment

I just has 1 scoop of Muscle pharm combat chocolate mixed in a blender while pouring 1/2 a cube of melted butter right down the middle.

The result was a thick buttery chocolate shake that tasted incredible. Will do again with other ingredients like coconut oil.
                        I give a cold butter shake 10/10. Totally killed my hunger. Will definately do again.

Comment

Working...
                        X