Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing weight, gaining permanent health

I'm starting a weight loss/health gain competition with a few friends and could use some tips. A little background- I'm a female in my mid-20's, 5'6" and weighing 130lbs. When I first started primal about 5 years ago i got my weight down to 115lbs (i have a very small bone structure) by eating 75g protein, 100g fat, 20g carb all meat, veggies, healthy oils. I kept my calories to 1200 a day and upped them a couple times a week. As I lost weight, my carbs went up and probably averaged around 80g or so. I walked an hour a day, sprinted twice a week, lifted weights twice a week. i did IF some days usually 8/16. it was pretty easy. I felt and looked the best i had in my entire life. In the last 1.5years my weight has gone back up to 130lbs. With all the available nutrition information i didn't know what to eat for health. I never went back to grains or packaged food but didn't keep my diet dialed in. I'd like to lose the weight again (and maintain this time) and gain back my endless energy-hence the challenge. Now, I know everyone has a different theory but given what has worked for me in the past what are your thoughts? I'd like to hear ideas for both nutrition and exercise.

I met with a trainer who gave me this eating plan:

Breakfast:smoothie with protein powder (all natural and made from pea protein), greens, 1/4c berries
    Lunch: salad w/ low carb veggies, olive oil, chicken or fish
    Snack: shake (pea protein)
    Dinner: low carb veggies, olive oil, 4-6oz chicken or fish

For exercise he recommends a mix of boxing, yoga, running- too much?

Thank you for taking the time to read.

i'd be starving if my meals were shakes or 4 oz. of chicken.

at your height, age and activity-level 1200 cals is too low, even if your plan is to lose. unless your frame is very slender 115 seems quite low? is it maintainable without too severe a restriction?

i'd get that to 1500, with more satisfying proteins (eggs instead of pea protein), do less running and more lifting. toss in some tubers and actual servings of fruit on days you need the carbs.

Last edited by noodletoy; 01-21-2014, 05:27 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Once i reached 115 I increased my calories and was able to maintain within a few pounds depending on what i ate that day. I didn't feel restricted because I ate a decent amount and allowed myself wine/chocolate/primal cheats a few times a week.

Comment

From the look of it, you are looking for treats, hence 2 shakes. At your activity level, if you have a calorie control like this, I would suggest trying to eat a piece of fruit with supper, instead of front-loading sweet flavors at breakfast, and have a breakfast and lunch that are not sweet, and are not liquid. If you can, skip breakfast all together and have a huge lunch (a lot more meat or fish and veggies), and a lighter supper. If you are an early riser, alternatively have a huge breakfast & lunch and skip supper (or just have a fruit instead of supper). having the digestive breaks often helps in lowering the BF%. It is fat you want to drop, not the weight, right?

A combination of boxing, yoga and running sounds like an overload on cardio side with not enough strength training. Your previous schedule sounded better balanced. I would drop running or boxing (whichever you like the least), and add 2 heavy lifting sessions in.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I'm looking to lose body fat, correct. I'm drinking shakes, only because I was told to do so by the trainer but not because I need treats. Last time I lost the weight I did so without fruit, skipped breakfast and ate a big lunch and medium size dinner.
          Last edited by RunningFree; 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

So, if it works, why do you want to try something different?

Comment

As I wrote in my first post, with the plethora of available information I deviated from the diet thinking there was a healthier alternative. Health is more important than vanity fat loss. I was curious to see which plan primal folks would deem healthier and would still aid in my goal.

Comment

Originally posted by RunningFree View Post
                I'm looking to lose body fat, correct. I'm drinking shakes, only because I was told to do so by the trainer but not because I need treats. Last time I lost the weight I did so without fruit, skipped breakfast and ate a big lunch and medium size dinner.

rinse, repeat.

i'd worry that those shakes would set me up for a fail later in the day. 2 big meals. the end. do not fear fruit on occasion. i stick to frozen berries and then local stuff in-season. i do eat small servings of rice and potatoes.

please, for the love of pete, have some red meat, shellfish and liver. this is one of the "girliest" meal plans i've seen in awhile.
                Last edited by noodletoy; 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I actually used to eat a lot of meat until this trainer told me to stop, but I actually felt better and had more energy then. Maybe it's time to go back to what I was doing before.

Comment

Fire this trainer.

Sent via Transmogrifier

Comment

Originally posted by RunningFree View Post
                      As I wrote in my first post, with the plethora of available information I deviated from the diet thinking there was a healthier alternative. Health is more important than vanity fat loss. I was curious to see which plan primal folks would deem healthier and would still aid in my goal.
                      I'd ditch the pea protein (why pea anyhow?) and eat more meat at meal time. Also more offal and variety of both animal types and parts.

Comment

How much fat do most of you eat? As I wrote in my first post, I was consuming about 100g coming from meat, avocado, olive oil and coconut oil.

Comment

I am not primal but I eat about 50g of fat or less a day. All animal fats too... None of that monounsaturated or polyunsaturated stuff.
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

If your goal is to find a balanced health approach, I would suggest you monitor your energy levels to dial in your fat need. Right now your trainer has you on a lower fat/low carb and higher protein approach which works for an event fat loss, but becomes ineffective after a few weeks of trying. It can be used for maintenance, at low body weight/fat, but energy levels/wellbeing is going to suffer, rabbit starvation is a potential possibility.

I don't know what your BF% is at the moment, if it is in the low twenties, you might give a thought to increasing muscular mass right now since you have accumulated a bit of a protective fat over the last year, which will enable your body to put on muscular mass. Judging by what you have written, your body has not been comfortable at the desired weight when you have reached it (that 15 lbs increase once you have relaxed your guard and started eating to satiation - again, sorry for the assumptions), so it might be hard for you to just drop the body fat to the levels of the naturally slender body type.

You might to consider mollycoddling your body into a firmer, athletic looking built, rather than the elfin silhouette - again, I am shooting in the dark here. take a look in the mirror, and assess your fat deposition pattern, height, proportions, and see where you would benefit from building up rather than reducing. Try going by the mirror rather than by the scale from there, and while it feel unnatural, add nutrition and build, rather than reduce nutrition and cut. Keep in mind that the professional level of leanness is hard to achieve with a non-professional lifestyle as a side-project if you do not have a genetic predisposition

I am the last person to suggest anyone ODs on bacon, but if you have noticed that you do well on higher fat, you should explore that further rather than deviating from it imo (though I would still go for unprocessed meats and seafood).

Success can be achieved in a number of ways, the trick is to find your own. If you think that what your trainer offered you has some merit, give it 6 weeks (barring really crappy reaction by your body or spirit), and if you do not see improvements, go back to what worked before or try something new.
                            Last edited by Leida; 01-22-2014, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                              Fire this trainer.

totally.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X