No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloating after lunch - confused

Hi there,

I am getting bloated after my lunch, which I thought was pretty primal, so asking here for some advice.

My breakfast (in case that is the issue), is 2 HB eggs, coffee with cream and splenda. I usually feel fine with this and eat around 8am. Lunch comes around about 1pm, and I have a small portion of home made meatloaf which only has beef / onion (small) / broccoli / egg / seasoning (salt/pepper) as the ingredients. I then have a banana. I am suspecting the banana but can't find anything that backs up my theory. I find it hard to think that either the eggs or meatloaf can be the problem.

Really would like some feedback - I don't have any issues giving up the banana's, and perhaps I will anyway.....!

Cheers,
    PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Lots of things can cause bloating, cut out each item as a test one at a time. And lose the Splenda it is not healthy, Paleo or safe IMO. It also could be part of the problem.

Comment

Try eating the banana first and waiting 14 minutes before eating the meat. Fruit digests faster than meat.

Comment

Meant to write 10-15 minutes... :-)

Comment

I have bloating issues with banana as well. I eat it in small portions and stretcht over an hour to prevent it.
          I'd try to switch the banana with an apple or something similar filling for a while and see if it changes
          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

I like to eat nine bananas at once and watch in the mirror as I become pregnant.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Onions and broccoli could also be problematic for some. For me more than a handful of broccoli/cauliflower gives me bloating and constipation.
              What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Broccoli can bloat me up if I have it in anything other than small, sufficiently cooked portions. I think onion is a FODMAP, which can cause bloating. I didn't know about bananas but apparently they can too. Lol Knife!

Comment

Hi!

Try to have your coffee with no cream and Splenda. That should help.

Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                    Broccoli can bloat me up if I have it in anything other than small, sufficiently cooked portions. I think onion is a FODMAP, which can cause bloating. I didn't know about bananas but apparently they can too. Lol Knife!
                    Well according to this:
                    Modifying Paleo for FODMAP-Intolerance (a.k.a. Fructose Malabsorption) » The Paleo Mom
                    Both broccoli and onions are on the fodmap list.
                    And another fodmap list I found on teh interwebs stated that onions/garlic are pretty much the worst offenders.
                    Oddly enough bananas are not on the list, but a girl I know who has troubles with fructose told me that she reacts badly to them and after all bananas do have a fairly high amount of fructose+sucrose combined.
                    Last edited by Nillos; 01-24-2014, 06:24 AM.
                    What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Try not eating the banana and see what happens. I find that I can have a bit of fruit with meals but if I eat too much I get (my apologies) gassy.
                      Love, peace, and bacon grease.

Comment

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback.

I do eat alot of broccoli (usually steamed with my baked fish of an evening); the bits in my meatloaf are more filler than anything as they're really well cooked and mushy. This week I will make the meatloaf without veg, or onions. Once I finish the bananas I have I'll stop those too. Today I am eating my banana after my breakfast (about to have it) and will see what happens.

As for the Splenda - just read the news it's been moved from a 'safe' food to 'avoid'. I will revert to sugar - need something to cut the bitterness of the coffee. And as I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or anything else vaguely sinful, I'm not giving up my morning java!!!

Thanks again - always very grateful!

PG!
                        Primal - June 3rd 2013
                        Starting Weight - 150lbs
                        Current Weight - 150lbs
                        Goal Weight - 130lbs
                        (Female / 5'4")

Comment

I use molasses in my coffee, if that helps.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Last night I had chicken wings and got really bloated. And I'm full paleo and have been for a long time.

I dunno maybe it just happens from time to time.
                            My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

So I just had my banana and no bloating?

Will eat my meatloaf on it's own, and see what that gives me.

And Heyo Jay, I get you can just suffer randomly - we'll see!

PG!
                              Primal - June 3rd 2013
                              Starting Weight - 150lbs
                              Current Weight - 150lbs
                              Goal Weight - 130lbs
                              (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Working...
                              X