Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many carbs ?

Hi, I'm a 44 year old male . Unfit, vegetarian and hi carb till 40. Chronic cardio and CW based healthier eating till 42. Primal and Crossfit since age 42.
    Lost 20 kg over age 40- 42 and a further 2-3 % far after turning primal. Am now 77 kg , 21 % fat , 185 cm .
    usually eat max 100 g carbs a day . Typically salads , 4-5 eggs , meats on rest days and add small bowl rice and 1/2 small sweet potatoes on workout days (Crossfit 3X week).
    However, for the last 1 year, I havent really made any major progress in my workouts or in fat loss. Folks at crossfit tell me I should eat more carbs . I'm conscious I'm not at a "bro age" to eat like a body builder . My bigger priority is staying healthy and going primal has helped me shed a host of health issues. But it would be nice to perform better (be first in a WOD for a change ) and build up some muscle, lose some fat.
    (Typical diet on rest day for bfast 4 boiled eggs & salad , lunch - salad, olive oil, 1 chicken breast , dinner - stir fried veggies, stir fried fish/small piece of lamb/pork) Workout day : protein shake , fruit, add half small bowl rice and 1/2 small sweet potatoes .
    Any advice welcome .

If you're looking for performance and you're pushing yourself adequately, go ahead an up the clean carbs. Carbs are fuel, and if you're going to be using them they're not going to hurt. Just get them from good sources.

If the Crossfit 'bros' are pushing you to get your carbs from grain sources, I'd tell them where they can put their advice. Staying under 100g of the clean stuff, all the time, is not going to suit most people well for high-performance athletics.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (Sept 2015): 200
    CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

My husband is 41, loves building strength/muscle, and is definitely over 150g carbs/day.

I'm currently 37, f, doing daily hot yoga (5-6 days/wk) plus kettle bells, and I decided to go nutso with my carbs and yesterday I took in 290g -- mostly from fruit but with a lot of veg, too -- and that was part of a 2000 cals/day diet (which is basically a lot for me). My appetite has finally picked up. I'm at 60C/20P/20F in terms of my ratios.

We're both doing great, looking lean and healthy, etc. I just got tired of being high fat, and since I can now afford what I love (fruit!), I went for it.

My juicer broke, so I'm on green smoothies for a bit. When the piece comes for my juicer, I'm definitely back on that!

Comment

3x per week Crossfit needs carbs. Eat up; maybe reduce your fat intake a touch, but if you're looking for workout progress just eat, I say.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
          Sent via lightsaber
          Did you trade in the Raptor?
          I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
          SW (Feb 2012): 278
          SBF: 26% (Scale)
          CW (Sept 2015): 200
          CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

I am not some bro bodybuilder either. Female law student, went from under 50g carbs a day to 150-350g carbs a day (depending on what I crave/what my physical activity demands) and instantly gained a lot of strength on my lifts.

Eat moar carbs. Reduce the fat (not the protein) to account for the added cals from carbs.
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by accidentalpancake View Post
              Did you trade in the Raptor?
              New phone, new messaging service.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

I'm 35 year old male. I've done high carb lift days and I've done fasted lift days. Frankly I lift better fasted as long as my workout isn't more than 45 minutes long (hint: it never is). Beyond that I don't eat any more carbs than you do. Fact is that at a certain point (past noob gains) performance improvements certainly slow. At 46 they slow even more so. The only thing that I find consistently true is that you need plenty of protein.

Comment

If you're 40-something and you're competing with 20 or 30-somethings, you're probably not going to find an easy dietary tweak that'll make you win the WODs. That just seems to be the way it goes. Perhaps that sounds defeatest, but a) I never believed it either when older people told me everything changes in your 40s and b) even though I might not win any WODs, it's in my 40s that I walked across the US (bottom to top) and managed to walk 36 miles on my longest day and do daily 26-31 mile days.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Have you tried adding more fat?

If you have time and want some really good info from actual researchers and biohackers who have tested it out, I would recommend listening to some of his podcast:

The Bulletproof Executive

The bulletproof coffee is life changing. Really good stuff. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Omg here we go... Eat moar fat!!!
                      ------
                      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Omg here we go... Eat moar fat!!!
                        yikes yes! JUST SAY NO!!!!

Comment

How many carbs ?

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                          yikes yes! JUST SAY NO!!!!
                          Lol clarification for everyone else (seaweed I think you got it)....I was being sarcastic because of the previous post... Not suggesting OP to eat moar fat.
                          Last edited by turquoisepassion; 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM.
                          ------

Comment

Is it odd that I have a cheaper source of grass-fed organic meat and eggs (at least by pound for most of their stuff) than I do for any sort of organic fruit? I mean I can get it, but it costs an arm and a leg.

Also, the science and experiential data I've read on bulletproof coffee/tea/mate is solid, but I just can't get over drinking three tablespoons of liquid oil. Yuck.

And I LOVE my fatty foods!
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                              Lol clarification for everyone else (seaweed I think you got it)....I was being sarcastic because of the previous post... Not suggesting OP to eat moar fat.
                              I don't get the suggestion. I read all over MDA to eat fat for energy but I've seen you post more than once not to eat more fat. Can you explain?

Comment

Working...
                              X