Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physician: First...do no harm

Primal diets are a great start in taking control of one's own life, but from a recent personal experience I can honestly say that avoidance of health care "providers" is equally important.

Maybe Grok did better than us because he HAD NO DOCTORS!

Last edited by Bear; 01-25-2014, 08:13 PM.

Be quiet and take your statins!
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

Too much meat! Bad Bear! Go veggie and eat your God damn tofu already!

Gotta save you from the wicked heart disease ya know!
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

A doctor here that agrees with you for a variety of reasons:

Comment

That worked REALLY well for Steve Jobs too...
          JOURNAL..
          @BabesWithBBQ.
          Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
          Professional Style Website.
          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

I have an ear infection at the moment. I'm going to the walk in clinic as soon as it opens.

Doctors DO have their uses. Grok would have just had to suffer through this, but I don't.
            Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

if you have something wrong, Doctors are great. My husband would be dead if not for brain surgery to remove a large tumor. But if you have health conditions caused by general unhealthy living, they probably are not doing you any favors. However, every so often you get something that needs intervention.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I'm happy we are currently as advanced as we are medically -- for when it's needed. Sadly I know people who go to the doctor for every ache and pain, many of which can be taken care of naturally or just need some good R&R. What sucks with that though is that many people will utilize their doctor over natural means simply because their insurance covers the doctor, not the natural remedies. I'm lucky now to be able to see a naturopathic doctor and have it covered by insurance because of her choice to work at a family physician's office. I'm wondering how long she will last since she routinely writes prescriptions and then looks at me and says, "Or...you could just take *insert herb here*" So she is costing them drug-company money I'm sure. But I appreciate that i'm able to see her.

Comment

We had a big thread on this "why do doctors tell us to eat stuff that's clearly bad for us." The main gist was that there's so much to learn in med school and residency/intern that doctors are practically forced to stop thinking and turn into memorizing machines. When they do take a nutrition course, they go memorize the CW prepared by the AMA and government.

The story of how CW became established is so old that you can't really place blame anymore. BUT, by now, it's pretty clear that Big Ag and Big Pharma have a huge interest is making sure that CW stays entrenched, even in the face of mounting evidence against CW.

It's ironic really, that the hybrid grains that were developed to help feed the world turned out to be harmful.
                  5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
                    That worked REALLY well for Steve Jobs too...
                    Wait, are we talking about why FRUITARIAN diets suck? Actually this is fascinating stuff right here http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...iet-steve-jobs
                    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2014, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Wait, are we talking about why FRUITARIAN diets suck? Actually this is fascinating stuff right here http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...iet-steve-jobs
                      No. I was talking about him drinking teas instead of getting a real doctor for cancer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwa...tment-regrets/

I am perhaps slightly more capable than the average joe of self diagnosis (biochem background) but damn, if I have anything above flu-like symptoms I am going to the doctor. I will chance a dumb professional decision from one who had made it through the hoops than a dumb average joe schmoe decision any day.
                      JOURNAL..
                      @BabesWithBBQ.
                      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

See I must be living in one of those reality distortion fields that they say Steve had. In my reality it was his whacked out eating habits and lifestyle that lead to his demise. Seems to me he saw the doctor plenty. The only point of contention is that 9 months that he waited after CT discovered a shadow on his pancreas to get cut on. But, by then we're gonna blame lack of medical treatment? Come on! It was lifestyle all the way.

"None of us, of course, knows what caused the pancreatic cancer that led to Steve Jobs's death, or what, if anything could have saved him. Diet doubtless played a role, but lifestyle factors, environmental toxicity and genetic proclivities would have contributed as well. Certainly, Jobs was exposed over the years to massive bombardment from WiFi and other electromagnetic fields (EMFs). Medical treatments involving radiation, chemotherapy, a modified Whipple surgery, a liver transplant and immuno-suppressive drugs may also have contributed to his demise."

That sums it up IMO.

And yes if you have something more than the flu (i.e. you couldn't get outa bed if your house was on fire), sure get your ass to the ER.

I know not everyone has the knowledge base to make these decisions easily. Lets face it though, overuse of the ER and such is all fear based. People are scared to death by all these commercials of symptom after symptom. It's making us a population of hypochondriacs. Actually more accurately its giving everyone what those who have studied call "medical students disease".
                        Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Physician: First...do no harm

Uhh. Cancer happens from DNA mutation...from free radicals generated from the environmental stressors like UVA light or mutagen chemicals absorbed through the skin/other membranes or any of those types of electromagnetic waves mentioned in the article you quoted above. Cancer is Infinitely more likely after your DNA has been damaged a threshold amount, because your body has multiple checks and balances and at least a few "checks" must be destroyed before cancer happens.

You don't get those (free radicals and hence mutations and hence cancer) from fruitarian diets. In fact, a diet high in antioxidants such as those from fruit that help eliminate some of the free radicals created by the environment has been shown to decrease the chance of cancer... But that isn't my point. (I think fruitarian diets cause a whole lot of problems they do NOT cause cancer. )

My point is that if he didn't wait, the cancer cells would have been localized to one spot on his body have would not have been spread throughout. Treatment would have been relatively easily since as the article pointed out, pancreatic cancer is one of the types of cancer that is actually well-researched and well-understood and has a very high success of recovery IF there was early detection+ surgery.

He screwed himself by doing alternative methods that just don't freaking work. I will let my mom try to use tumeric for a pimple but we as a family hightail it to the doctors for any sort of stuff beyond the scope of layman understanding.

I am all for other people who want to lay their lives on the line for alternative medicine. Not my problem. I just think it is stupid, like what I think of Steve Job's decision.
                          Last edited by TQP; 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM.
                          JOURNAL..
                          @BabesWithBBQ.
                          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Not really telling me anything there....

I guess except where you claim that a fruitarian diet can not produce free radicals due to the antioxidants. And although you say "that isn't my point" it actually is the crux of your whole post along with the claim that had he not waited those 9 months all would be well. ALL very debatable. Quite easy for free radical damage to outpace his antioxidant intake especially with such a reliance on just fruit juice for long periods....AND not even altering the type of fruit he was juicing/eating for weeks on end.

Food for thought: Fructose Induces Transketolase Flux to Promote Pancreatic Cancer Growth

MY point is that he did go to the doctor AFTER he got all jacked up from his lifestyle choices. So step one isn't run to the doctor....it is lead a better lifestyle so you can say out of "the belly of the beast"! He then (after going) made a personal decision to delay treatment. That may or may not have had effect on how this all played out. No guarantees either way.
                            Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2014, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                              I have an ear infection at the moment. I'm going to the walk in clinic as soon as it opens.

Doctors DO have their uses. Grok would have just had to suffer through this, but I don't.
                              If they prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic (like Amoxicillin)...think twice about maybe an alternative. You do not want to flirt with a possible case of Clostridium Difficile. This is what impelled me to post on this subject...how faith in a health care provider led to an unnecessary broad spectrum antibiotic prescription, which led to a far worse condition...

Sometimes the medical intervention is highly useful...and sometimes it's merely the beginning of a series of interventions that effectively change one's life for the worse. And all perhaps for nothing more than a minor virus misdiagnosed as an infection...
                              Last edited by Bear; 01-26-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X