Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple sap - EASY DIY beverage!!!

Do you have a drill and a few bucks to drop at a hardware store? And any maple tree? Then YOU can easily "make" maple sap! It's almost like coconut water, nutritious and sweet. Internet is plastered with DIY plans, bottom line is: you drill into the tree, put a pipe in, and catch the sap as it drips out. In the eastern U.S., they use sugar maples, but Big Leaf and even vine maples work well, too. Best to do toward the end of winter when it's cold at night and warm/sunny by day, that's when the sap moves the most. It's a source of potassium, magnesium, zinc, and a slew of other great stuff. Almost tastes like a very weak green tea. If you have the trees, hit it!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Water - the ultimate DIY beverage.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
      Water - the ultimate DIY beverage.
      did you dig your own well?
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        Do you have a drill and a few bucks to drop at a hardware store? And any maple tree? Then YOU can easily "make" maple sap! It's almost like coconut water, nutritious and sweet. Internet is plastered with DIY plans, bottom line is: you drill into the tree, put a pipe in, and catch the sap as it drips out. In the eastern U.S., they use sugar maples, but Big Leaf and even vine maples work well, too. Best to do toward the end of winter when it's cold at night and warm/sunny by day, that's when the sap moves the most. It's a source of potassium, magnesium, zinc, and a slew of other great stuff. Almost tastes like a very weak green tea. If you have the trees, hit it!
        What about an autumn blaze maple?
        Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
        Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
        Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
        Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
        1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
        GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
        CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
        49 - 5'7.5"
        Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Can I just drink maple syrup?

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
            did you dig your own well?
            No, but that's certainly a very paleo-esque goal to have.

I'll have to put that on my to-do list.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Do you have a drill and a few bucks to drop at a hardware store? And any maple tree?
              No.

Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I've been looking for a low carb, sweet flavored, bbq sauce recipe. I found one but maple syrup is one of the ingredients. I also see honey used in low carb recipes. Isn't both maple syrup and honey a lot of sugar? Something we are supposed to avoid.

Comment

As for actual syrup, if you're freshly ditching SAD and re-tuning your taste buds, yes, avoid sugars. If you're old and bored and like trying new things for poops and giggles because once you die, you don't get to, go for it! Not like we're going to live on the stuff. 1.5 gallons is about to render us a mere 1/2 cup of syrup.

But the raw sap from the tree is almost pure water. It's much like a watered down coconut water or weak tea, and is a source of minerals and electrolytes. I'd offer it to anyone who isn't allergic to water. The tree does not give you syrup, it gives you water.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

As for actual syrup, if you're freshly ditching SAD and re-tuning your taste buds, yes, avoid sugars. If you're old and bored and like trying new things for poops and giggles because once you die, you don't get to, go for it! Not like we're going to live on the stuff. 1.5 gallons is about to render us a mere 1/2 cup of syrup.

But the raw sap from the tree is almost pure water. It's much like a watered down coconut water or weak tea, and is a source of minerals and electrolytes. I'd offer it to anyone who isn't allergic to water. The tree does not give you syrup, it gives you water.
                    Sugar water.

Comment

This reminds me of home. The farm house up around the corner had a field with a handful of sheep and a sugar shack.

Comment

I just found out that hickory, birch, alder, butternut, and black walnut trees also can be tapped for edible sap. So, I guess you don't even need maples to make syrup, or just to enjoy some tree water! Making Syrup From Pacific Northwest Trees - Real Food - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Comment

Working...
                        X