Ad Widget

Collapse

I want to go back to the Stone Age

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to go back to the Stone Age

    I've wavered over time over calories, ratios, and such. I'm thinking it's time to go back to the Stone Age. I really can't handle carbs, except for vegs., some rice, potatoes (love sweet potatoes). Wheat, even whole and mixed grain is absolutely out of the question... insulin resistant, carb craving and gluten intolerance. When will I ever learn?

    Anyway... I though I'd ask for a quick look-over of where I'm at and where I want to be. If anyone feels this has been beaten to death on the forums, I understand. A search doesn't turn up anything similar to me. So here goes...

    56 y/o male.
    5'5"
    200 lbs
    ~25-26% body fat.
    Goal weight 170-175, b.f. 15-16%
    Desk job, but I lift weights a couple of times/week. I mean lift hard & heavy, plus cardio.

    I have my macros set at 1900 calories
    Carbs 71g (15%)
    Protein 43g (30% about .9g/lb of estimated lbm)
    Fat 116g (55%)

    I'm wondering if anyone has a similar situation, set up, and if this looks reasonable.

  • #2
    Hey there! I would keep lifting hard 2-3x per week with a week off every so often. If you're doing cardio, I would do very slow cardio on the days you're not lifting or get in a walk on your lunch break. Throw in a sprint once per week. Do *not* limit your calories, but keep an eye on your carbs. On the days you lift, eat more carbs (up to 150), on the days you don't lift, keep carbs under 75ish (you'll have to play with these numbers). Everyone's body is different at different times (season/age/health status/sleep/activity level/etc), so you'll need to be constantly playing with your ratios/workouts. Stay in-tune with your body. After the first few weeks of Primal, you can trust it. It will tell you what it needs. You may be getting sick and it says, "Hey, feed me sweet potatoes and fruit, we've got a lot of healing to do." or it may say, "Feed me a giant steak because we need to repair and build a ton of muscle." Don't ignore it. It knows best. Btw, I'm a 5'-6" 163 lb. nursing mom and I lift "heavy" (relative, huh) 2x per week and stay home with my kids and do housework. I need to eat more than 1900 cals per day and I'm still losing weight.
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

    SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
    CW:166.4 lbs.
    GW: 143 lbs.

    Just keep going.

    New goal:

    Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

    Comment


    • #3
      That looks right in line with the primal blueprint. You know yourself better than the rest of us. All those failed experiments help shape your process.

      How much can you squat? I like to think I'm doing pretty well for a lady almost 50 at just over bodyweight. I hope to keep progressing. I was in the gym the other day waiting in line for the squat racks and some 50-something guy was doing his deadlifts and he turned and said to another 50 or 60-something guy, "this is the fountain of youth, isn't it?" I agree.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have my macros set at 1900 calories
        Carbs 71g (15%)
        Protein 43g (30% about .9g/lb of estimated lbm)
        Fat 116g (55%)
        is that protein number correct? i am a 5'2" female and most days i eat 80-100 gms protein.

        also i feel like besides hitting macros, it's the food source that really matters. like is your protein all skinless boneless white meat or will you be having ruminants and liver?
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

        – Ernest Hemingway

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Fdispenza View Post
          Protein 43g (30% about .9g/lb of estimated lbm)
          Calorie target seems OK for fat loss at your size. Protein is a bit low, however i'm focusing only on the formula and the 43g you ended up with:

          You definitely have way more than ~50lbs of lean body mass. I'm 5'5 and as a woman, it's between 95-120lbs lean alone -- before the required fat we carry.

          Men carry more lbm per the same size frame, generally. If you are aiming to hit the .9g/lb it needs to be at *least* over 100.

          Comment


          • #6
            No need to make it complicated, shoot for a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for more normal sized persons, if you are very fat reduce to around 0.7 or very lean 1.3 gram! Don’t overthink those estimates, just eat lots of proteins from various sources…
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

            - Schopenhauer

            Comment


            • #7
              Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies. It looks like this is a pretty good plan then.

              Originally posted by PrimalJes View Post
              Hey there! I would keep lifting hard 2-3x per week with a week off every so often. If you're doing cardio, I would do very slow cardio on the days you're not lifting or get in a walk on your lunch break. Throw in a sprint once per week. Do *not* limit your calories, but keep an eye on your carbs. On the days you lift, eat more carbs (up to 150), on the days you don't lift, keep carbs under 75ish (you'll have to play with these numbers). Everyone's body is different at different times (season/age/health status/sleep/activity level/etc), so you'll need to be constantly playing with your ratios/workouts. Stay in-tune with your body. After the first few weeks of Primal, you can trust it. It will tell you what it needs. You may be getting sick and it says, "Hey, feed me sweet potatoes and fruit, we've got a lot of healing to do." or it may say, "Feed me a giant steak because we need to repair and build a ton of muscle." Don't ignore it. It knows best. Btw, I'm a 5'-6" 163 lb. nursing mom and I lift "heavy" (relative, huh) 2x per week and stay home with my kids and do housework. I need to eat more than 1900 cals per day and I'm still losing weight.
              The cardio I do is either 30-40 mins. treadmill walking, 3+ mph, 5* incline, and such. Other times I do a kettlebell swing routine, 15 sets, 10 reps each set (Tracy Reifkind routine).

              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              That looks right in line with the primal blueprint. You know yourself better than the rest of us. All those failed experiments help shape your process.
              I'm glad to know I got it right. I suppose that if the carbs are limited, the total calories are not really an issue, within reason of course.

              How much can you squat? I like to think I'm doing pretty well for a lady almost 50 at just over bodyweight. I hope to keep progressing. I was in the gym the other day waiting in line for the squat racks and some 50-something guy was doing his deadlifts and he turned and said to another 50 or 60-something guy, "this is the fountain of youth, isn't it?" I agree.
              I used to squat 295 for 3-4 sets of 608 reps, and pretty much the same for deadlifts. Though I once pulled a p.r. deadlift of 345. The motivation for it may sound silly, but my princess cat had recently died. I wanted to try for a p.r., grabbed the bar, whispered "for Toby", and up came the bar with full lock-out, but not without a lot of howling (I was alone int he gym).

              Unfortunately I can't squat or deadlift anymore because I had lumbar and rotator cuff surgery, ironically not from gym injuries. I can't reach my arm back far enough to hold the bar. But I can do suitcase squats and trap bar deadlifts, where the bulk of the stress is on my legs. Strangely, doing kettlebell swings, if done right are not harmful for me.

              Originally posted by noodletoy View Post


              is that protein number correct? i am a 5'2" female and most days i eat 80-100 gms protein.

              also i feel like besides hitting macros, it's the food source that really matters. like is your protein all skinless boneless white meat or will you be having ruminants and liver?
              I eat liver and virtually anything that has fur, fins or feathers; I eat fat, skin, marrow, and all.

              Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
              Calorie target seems OK for fat loss at your size. Protein is a bit low, however i'm focusing only on the formula and the 43g you ended up with:

              You definitely have way more than ~50lbs of lean body mass. I'm 5'5 and as a woman, it's between 95-120lbs lean alone -- before the required fat we carry.

              Men carry more lbm per the same size frame, generally. If you are aiming to hit the .9g/lb it needs to be at *least* over 100.
              D'oh! That's 143g of protein. I forgot the 1. Sure, I can bump up the protein a bit.

              I thought so too about carrying more lbm than I've come up with. I've been swayed by some guys at another site who said my bf% is way higher. I've got an attachment here (if it works) of me presently. Clearly, my arm isn't flexed, but it's ~16" cold flexed.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                No need to make it complicated, shoot for a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for more normal sized persons, if you are very fat reduce to around 0.7 or very lean 1.3 gram! Don’t overthink those estimates, just eat lots of proteins from various sources…
                Yeah, I tend to over-think. I figure I'm about 25-30 lbs overweight, so around .9-1.0 g is probably a good compromise.

                Comment


                • #9
                  lol. ok, 143 sounds more like it.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                  – Ernest Hemingway

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Fdispenza View Post
                    D'oh! That's 143g of protein. I forgot the 1. Sure, I can bump up the protein a bit.

                    I thought so too about carrying more lbm than I've come up with. I've been swayed by some guys at another site who said my bf% is way higher. I've got an attachment here (if it works) of me presently. Clearly, my arm isn't flexed, but it's ~16" cold flexed.
                    143 is much better :P

                    I'd suggest you host the images separately at a place like imgur, photobucket, imageshack or whatever the cool kids are using these days. Approval takes quite a while when attached to the forum like that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nivanthe View Post
                      143 is much better :P

                      I'd suggest you host the images separately at a place like imgur, photobucket, imageshack or whatever the cool kids are using these days. Approval takes quite a while when attached to the forum like that.
                      Thanks for the tip, I do have a photobucket account. I'll try to edit the post.

                      Arm16incoldflexed_zps7b78cdbc.jpg Dec272013a_zps5d139995.jpg
                      Last edited by Fdispenza; 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Good luck to you! Sounds like you've got your head on straight :P You'll get to your goal.
                        I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

                        SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
                        CW:166.4 lbs.
                        GW: 143 lbs.

                        Just keep going.

                        New goal:

                        Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PrimalJes View Post
                          Good luck to you! Sounds like you've got your head on straight :P You'll get to your goal.
                          Thanks, I hope to stay on track this time. I want to be able to do the Alpha Male Strut & Swagger down at the beachfront.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X