No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about losing weight

Hi everyone

I have gone primal for only a week now and am still reading a lot about it. But I am still not sure about the right amount of carbs for me. I am 30 years old, 1.68 m and 53 kg, so just on the lower range of the BMI. I went primal for the health issues (keeping the sugar-insulin level balanced etc) but actualy not in order to lose weight.

I have never had any weight problems, have exercised regularly and eaten healthy (until a week ago I thought this would include wholemeal, wheat, etc) and I am now a little bit worried about losing weight by not eating enough carbs. I have to admit that I felt a bit weak this last days.
    The other thing why I am worried about the right amount of carbs is that I exercise regularly, I have Kung Fu training three times a week and on the other days I do some light cardio and core training. That may be a bit more than Mark suggests in his Primal Blueprint Fitness but I really enjoy my workouts and would not like to them down just because of the missing carbs...

So my question to the maybe more experienced among you, how much carbs can or should I eat in order not to go under the 150 grams per day, suggested for maintaining weight. I have the feeling that only by eating meat and vegetables, this would mean a lot of food, or no? And I am actually not always that hungry.... So, can I complement this with non processed carbs like potatoes, sweet potatoes and plantains for example?

Thanks for any advice :-)
    Vanessa

Absolutely. There are also numerous tuber vegetables and squashes to help you out. Fruit, if it doesn't upset your sugar balance also an easy way to add carbs. Plain white rice is also considered appropriate for people with high activity who do a Perfect Health Diet version of Paleo that admits in the safe starches.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

absolutely include starchy tubers, squashes and carrots. fruits like bananas if you want them.

you'll have to play around with your macros and see what works.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Another vote for sweet potatoes, plantain, even bananas for that matter. Anything starchy that you can digest and is from a clean source, pretty much on the table.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

MORE CARBS.

Except I'm arguing for MORE FRUIT CARBS. Tubers are great (I eat them too) but I love my fruits.
          ------
          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Simple answer is yes. Potatoes are very very very good calorie delivery devices. You can load one up with your favorite toppings (fats and proteins) and really pile away some quality calories. I like to put full fat yogurt, pulled pork, grass fed cheese, and some homemade BBQ sauce over top of mine for a post workout bomb.

Comment

Thanks so far for the helpfull advices :-)

Comment

No problems, most of us are very good at gaining weight and know every possible way of doing it on any sort of macros and restrictions. It's losing it that's the trick for us.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Had simillar problem 6 months ago. Actually I was quite fit 1 year ago, then tought I should loose some weight, as a result I've lost 6kg in fat and MUSCLES. I haven't noticed that immediately, but then my friends told me. Started using myfitnesspal app, gained 3kg in 6 months and am gaining muscles again.

My advice: Don't mess around with diets, start tracking food and exercises - learned it the hard way
                  My blog on fitness gadgets: ProgressGear.com

Comment

Working...
                  X