No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet feedback please for a newbie trying to gain weight

Hi,

I'm a newbie and keen to start off right. I started a week ago or so, but only yesterday did I feel I was anywhere close in terms of the amount I need to eat. I'm under my BMI and on a slightly restricted diet due to numerous allergies, the major one being nuts and peanuts. I worry about my calcium intake, but without nuts I'm not sure what to do, other than dairy.

Anyway, here is my food diary for the last two days. I know it's far from perfect, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't need to gain much weight, just a few pounds or so, but most of all I just want to feel well.

27/01/14
    Breakfast:
    Mug of cocoa - goats milk and sweetened with honey
    Some live goats yoghurt drizzled with honey

Lunch:
    Diced leg of pork fried up in cream with lots of onion and garlic
    Patties made from leftover sweet potato and potato mash, fried in butter.

Snack:
    Roughly 50g of dark chocolate

Snack:
    Glass of 'innocent' smoothy

Dinner:
    Pork Loin chop fried in extra virgin olive oil
    Sweet potato / potato mash with butter
    Brussel sprouts chopped up and fried in butter with two large onions and loads of garlic

Bedtime:

28/01/14
    Breakfast:
    Some live goats yoghurt drizzled with honey

Snack:
    Two ingredients pancakes - 1 Banana and 1 egg - fried in butter

Lunch:
    Patties made from leftover sweet potato and potato mash, fried in butter. Garnished with a sprinkling of semi-hard sheeps cheese.

Snack:
    Roughly 25g of dark chocolate
    An organic apple
    A glass of 'innocent' smoothy

Dinner:
    Roast Pork belly
    Sweet potato / potato mash (made with butter)
    Brussel sprouts chopped up and fried in butter with onion and loads of garlic
    Last edited by Lettie; 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM.

Hi. I realize you're in the UK and this, apparently, is an issue but, red meat. Go for it.

Comment

Hey... For one, I'd say don't worry about BMI. If you feel undernourished and frail, and want to build muscle (as opposed to trying to fit some one-size-fits-all medical standard), the solution is eating more calories than you burn, doing power workouts to stimulate muscle growth, and increasing protein intake.

So yea. Lots of fatty red meat. If you burn a lot of calories, some good starches can help. White rice is a bodybuilder staple, and while not primal, it's safe.

Comment

Thanks. No problem with that - I like nothing better than (beef) steak, or reindeer if I could get it.

However, I'm limited slightly by meat prices. Beef over here is very expensive. Mince less so.

How does lamb fit into the picture? Does it count as red? :/

Comment

Of course, though here in the US lamb is more expensive than beef. XD But I'd go with pork if I was on a budget. Nothing wrong with pork, it's awesome meat.

Comment

Lamb is Good!
            Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Sigmoid View Post
              Hey... For one, I'd say don't worry about BMI. If you feel undernourished and frail, and want to build muscle (as opposed to trying to fit some one-size-fits-all medical standard), the solution is eating more calories than you burn, doing power workouts to stimulate muscle growth, and increasing protein intake.

So yea. Lots of fatty red meat. If you burn a lot of calories, some good starches can help. White rice is a bodybuilder staple, and while not primal, it's safe.
              Good point. In my 20s I was 1lb or so lighter, but way more muscled. I'd never even heard of a BMI - But I felt well and was active. So yes, I'll try to be less hung up on it. Even today I seem to have more energy. It was a bit of a mental adjustment to 'allow' myself to eat what looks like two dinners and then some, lol.

Edit. Good news re. Lamb. Shoulder of lamb isn't much more expensive than pork over here
              Last edited by Lettie; 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X