Ad Widget

Collapse

Roasting your own nuts... Is it OK? And other portable breakfast ideas.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting your own nuts... Is it OK? And other portable breakfast ideas.

Hi All, I just had a question regarding the roasting of nuts and seeds.
    Last edited by super_nat; 02-15-2014, 01:08 PM.

Welcome to the world of conflicting information. I limit my eating of nuts because of the high calorie content and weight gain. Some folks say only eat raw, others don't eat and some gorge themselves silly on them. I figure I'm playing it safe by having a small amount of almonds or walnuts.

I'd be more inclined to take some hardboiled eggs and bacon or other protein for a simple portable breakfast - add some baked sweet potato as well. btw - I solved the in-law problem by moving 3,000 miles away.

Comment

fritatta muffins.

or go visit after breakfast.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
        fritatta muffins
        I was going to suggest this as well. Those things are great. Here is an example recipe:
        How to Make Healthy Egg Breakfast Muffins | Paleo Grubs

As far as nuts, I think roasting them is fine so long as you don't overheat/burn them. It's certainly better than buying commercially roasted nuts that were likely roasted using industrial seed oils. Even better would be soaking/sprouting them and then dehydrating. And then roasting them if you choose to. In case you haven't seen Chris Kresser's take on nuts, here it is:
        Another reason you shouldn't go nuts on nuts

Comment

I only toast nuts for holiday recipes, usually 200-250F for 1 hour. They should smell very perfume-y and not taste bland or bitter--then I store in the freezer. But ya, they're not a great meal staple. I'd bring a bento with boiled eggs, yogurt, pickles, or fruit.
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'll look into the egg ideas for sure. I'm just a bit worried about cooking a egg dish and then transporting it as the drive is 5 hours.
            Last edited by super_nat; 02-15-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

if the drive is 5 hours how often are you actually there for breakfast?

pack a cooler for the car.

eat before you go.

say you're not hungry.

meh, why argue?
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

btw, eggs are pretty stable at room temp, raw and cooked. it's common in france for hard-cooked eggs to be out on bars for a snack with a drink and in spain fritattas are out all day at room temp.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Once a month for 3 days each visit so the arriving after breakfast isn't really an option

I'll give it a go thanks for the help

Comment

I have German in-laws. My mother in-law was very worried I will die hungry in the morning if I do not eat bread, and she won't have anything to feed me (you know, that precious What do you eat? stunned expression), but got used to me eating boiled eggs....
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                    X