Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you get off track...

I'm thinking this has been written, but I thought about it and wanted to pass along info on how I deal with getting off track.

The subject came up for me recently because I had an injury that altered my overall healthy living plan (because I couldn't work out, and thus couldn't burn as many calories per week).

This is just my personal opinion, take it fwiw, but I think that psychologically, it works.

Whenever you start any type of change that leads to weight loss, inevitably, you’re going to run into a situation where you stop enforcing that change.

Maybe you get sick and tired of it, maybe you’re injured, maybe the change needs a simple tweak that you decide not to implement “just yet,” whatever the case may be. (I mention injury because many of you not only change your eating, but you workout too.)

My feeling is that when you get off track like this, follow a few rules:
    1. You must acknowledge that you’re actually off track. This should be easy if you laid out a plan for yourself, and you’re not following it. Some of you build in “cheat” days, but only so many, and you know when you’re going beyond what you initially allowed.

2. Once you’ve acknowledged you’re off track, then make an agreement to not dramatize it. What’s meant by dramatizing it is that you take it far more seriously than you should. Instead, make the acknowledgement, and know that you have corrective steps to deal with it. Here is where you understand that it WILL be dealt with.

3. Take a week off. Identify the first date after your week is over that you will begin getting back on track.

4. Ease back into the plan starting on your first day. If you were limiting yourself to 1500 calories after getting 3500 a day, then go for 2500 for a week. Then 2250 for the next week. Then 2000 the next week. If you were on an intermittent fasting diet, 8 hours eating, 16 hours not…same thing. Start your eating at 9am. Then 9:30. Then 10am. The point being to just ease into it over the course of anywhere from 3 to 10 weeks.

5. During the easing into it phase, tell yourself over and over, that you can get to the goals you set for yourself, and you’re not getting off track for the entire calendar year you’re in. Obviously, you can’t know whether this is true, but I feel that it’s good to "set" your attitude.

That’s it. Of course, if you do this seven or eight times a year, then you’re never really on track, and you need to tell yourself that too. My feeling is that you should not fall off track any more than twice a year, and even that’s not so good.

At the same time, your diet shouldn’t tax you so mentally that you fall off of it so often. For example, if you have a 1500 calorie a day diet, and you’re falling off of it 8-10 times a year, you have to come to the realization that a 1500 calorie a day diet is not for you.
Working...
X