Ad Widget

Collapse

is non-organic meat better than nothing?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is non-organic meat better than nothing?

Hi,
    I weigh around 175lbs and I am 5'6. I want to get to around 130/140 and I'm trying to eat more protein so I don't lose to much muscle. I've been eating more eggs, chicken, tuna and yoghurt, but the chicken isn't organic and most of the meat at my house isn't organic (most of the other things are). Would it better better to stick to the organic sources and eat less overall? :s

Also does anyone know if 60g carbs a day is too much to lose weight? I find that if I go much lower I get too reliant on dairy to make up the calories.. I have a fairly active job (according to my nike band I burn over 1000 cals more than on non-work days!) and it involves a fair amount of lifting. Would this make it okay to have 60-70g carbs per day?

At the moment I am feeling great eating the way that I am, although I don't seem to be losing weight (or if I am it is extremely slow..) a typical day would be greek yoghurt with honey and nuts for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and then a stir fry/chicken/fish and vegetables for dinner. I've only recently started trying to eat less because I had a few nutritional deficiencies which I wanted to sort out and I was worried cutting out calories might make them worse.

Would it be better to have a banana with almond butter for breakfast? I am a creature of habit and I like planning ahead and eating from a similar choice each day, boring right

Sorry for the rambling post, but does anyone have any input?

Thank you!

Eating meat is better than not.

I don't have a lot to spend on food either but I've found that grass fed ground beef works best for me so I use that daily, cheaper than CAFO steaks! I rarely eat chicken, bacon or prepared meats bc it's too expensive to find anything quality.

Salmon is my second best choice. Fresh, wild and on sale followed by wild canned (which is very economical and easy to use).

Other seafood third, I'll try what's wild and in sale, fresh or flash frozen.

If trying to lose weight, I'd do without the almond butter and put that money toward more meat! Same goes for snacks like nuts, pork rinds, cheeses, chocolate....those things add up!

You can eat grass fed ground beef, wild fish, decent eggs, grass fed butter & lots of org veggies (buy on sale and go for the loose stuff, not the packaged clamshells w less food for more $) affordably, especially if you cut out the extras.

K

Comment

vegetables are very low-cal, so i don't understand the trade-up to fatty dairy for cals? you'd need like 2 pounds of raw spinach to equal 1 ounce of cheese in cals...

you don't say how much food you are actually eating? is it 1000 cals or 3000? you should be losing on 60-70 gms of carbs, if they are mostly veggies and low-sugar fruits. i would drop the honey and nuts and avoid the nut butter. dairy is also problematic for people, so you may look at that.

non-organic meat is better than no meat. i can get grass fed ground beef very cheaply and red meat is VERY filling. i also eat lots of eggs and tinned salmon and sardines. do you cook for yourself? start learning to cook and eat oogly bits like liver, hearts and gizzards.

oh, and just skip breakfast, lol.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Grass fed and organic are not the same thing.

You can get grain feed organic meat.

Go for the grass fed/pastured meats.

And if you do want to buy certified organic, do research into the certification process. The farmers may still be allowed to use chemicals or have residues of chemicals that you may not agree with.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Sometimes organic meat (even grain-fed organic) can cost more than actual grass-fed or pastured meat just because of the "organic" label mark-up. It costs a lot to get organic certification every year!

Get to love canned sardines too. There's an economical protein option with b-vitamins, vitamin D, selenium, magnesium, and omega-3s. All nutrients sorely lacking in most people's diets. Eat lots of them and leave the fish oil on the store shelves.

And yes, grass-fed would certainly be optimal, but don't let only being able to be 50% better than the rest of the world keep you from making any changes at all.

50 > 0
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I don't know what CAFO is in other countries. Here in the U.S., CAFO means that the animals are probably given antibiotics daily. CAFO beef/butter/other dairy is a double whammy as it's also given growth hormones. For me that means no compromise on beef/butter/other dairy. But I will very occasionally buy CAFO chicken or pork - the price disparity here is almost overwhelming. Honestly, I can find CAFO pork for as low as $2/lb while non-antibiotic pork or wild pork is $7/lb and up.

As a note, I've noticed that if I eat CAFO chicken for a day or two, my armpits begin to smell unfresh. I thought it was a coincidence, but it's happened a few times.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

joanie, not sure where you live, but i can get hormone-free dairy pretty easily in supermarkets in new england. we buy grass-fed cream and milk from a local dairy anyway, but just wanted to point out that not ALL dairy is jacked.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I eat regular meat. I get grass-fed sometimes, too. I figure it's better to eat meat than meat substitutes no matter if the beef got some antibiotics and cement dust in the last few weeks of its life or not. Not that I'm happy about that, but I'm not living in the 'bu with tons of money.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Have you tried getting organic odd bits? Liver and kidneys? I just made a kidney dish and it was a lot of work but it came out well. However, in general I'd say that non-organic meat is definitely better than no meat. Also, grass-fed and organic are not the same. For cattle, 'organic' can just mean organic feed, so you'd be paying a premium for crap. Watch out for that.
                  Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Noodletoy, it's terrible here as far as finding decently raised food that is also reasonably priced. I spent a lot of time searching when I first switched from CAFO to local or grass fed. I do the best I can, but backward thinking areas just aren't making the same effort to provide these foods for locals the way forward thinking areas are. I get a substantial amount of my food from online sources to save money. I really want to buy local, but the locals just aren't providing it at any realistic price. I've recently started making protein shakes a daily supplement because just for me, that was the better compromise than going back to an all CAFO diet.

-----------------

Just a general statement. Anyone assuming that people who bust a hump to not support CAFO production or eat those products have tons of money is are making an unfair assumption. All locales are not the same. Perhaps we drive beater cars (or have no cars), or don't pay for television. Perhaps we heat or cool only one room in our homes. Perhaps we haven't bought a new article of clothing in over a year. No one can tell from the outside looking in how or why a person makes certain choices. Everyone's priorities are different.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                    X