Ad Widget

Collapse

How worried shoudl I be about soy in my vitamins?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How worried shoudl I be about soy in my vitamins?

If this has been addressed, please forgive me, but I have tried to find something on here about it and wasn't having much luck! I just recently read an article about how many high-quality supplements have soy in them, and sure enough I found that a couple of the ones I take do. How worried should I be about this? I avoid eating soy in my food, so is the amounts in my vitamins a problem? I feel better when I take them so is it a good trade off?

Thanks~

what are you taking and have you sought non-soy-based alternatives?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Is it soy or soy lecithin? From what I understand the latter is pretty benign. Mark Sisson has written about it in the past.

Comment

In a general rule of thumb small amounts of poison will be much less a problem than big amounts.
        So even without knowing the details its probably a good guess that it shouldnt be too much of a concern
        unless you take really lots of pills.

However what I dont understand is, why dont you buy just vitamin pills without soy ?

Comment

If you are eating for optimal health, is a multi really necessary?
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

It is incredibly shocking how many things soy is an ingredient in--and not just food. It's cheap, and it's a huge industry in the Midwest.

If you are so lucky to have found a product that actually lists it as an ingredient, I would remove it from your diet. There are a lot of legal loopholes with soy, such as 'benign amounts of protein in soy-derived substance,' so chances are you are consuming some you don't know about. I have the blessing/curse of knowing about it, as I am allergic to it. So I have a huge list of restaurants I will not ever go to again, soaps and lotions I will never use again, family members I will not accept food from again, etc. etc.

I encourage you to get your vitamins from foods that naturally have them. For example, mushrooms, fish and eggs have waaaaaaaaaaaay more vitamin D than your vitamin tablets do, guaranteed.
            Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
            Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
            Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
            F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Vitamins are really small. How much soy could there possibly be?

Comment

I'd just use them up and then buy non soy ones.
                Or buy non soy ones and alternate daily till they're all gone.
                I understand not wanting to throw them out with how much vitamins cost.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                  Is it soy or soy lecithin? From what I understand the latter is pretty benign. Mark Sisson has written about it in the past.
                  The jury is still out on soy lecithin in my opinion. It's clearly not as bad as the soy oil or the protein, but that doesn't give it a clean bill in my opinion. You can buy supplements that have sunflower lecithin or egg lecithin as the base if it has lecithin to begin with.

But yeah, avoid supps with soy oils and/or proteins like the plague. Soy lecithin is a little more tricky. It's better to source sunflower or egg-based lecithin sources, but if you can't find one, a little won't kill ya. Just don't go taking thirty bajillion supplements that all have soy lecithin in them.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by kathleen View Post
                    I encourage you to get your vitamins from foods that naturally have them. For example, mushrooms, fish and eggs have waaaaaaaaaaaay more vitamin D than your vitamin tablets do, guaranteed.
                    i eat all of those foods and was woefully deficient in vitamin d. i needed supps to get in a safe range and continue to take them so that i stay there.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

^Yeah, I am also deficient in Vit D and would not be able to get enough to correct that from food alone. I supplement with a soy-free capsule.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by kathleen View Post
                        Wrong, wrong, wrong...

I have vitamin D liquid drops and to compare...

One ounce of sardines has about 55 iu of Vitamin D. Times that by 16 and one pound has 880 ius.

One DROP of my MCT-based D drops has 1,000 ius. So, one DROP beats a POUND of sardines. Just sayin'.
                        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          ^Yeah, I am also deficient in Vit D and would not be able to get enough to correct that from food alone. I supplement with a soy-free capsule.
                          Have you considered MCT-based drops that you place under the tongue to absorb directly into the blood stream? Bypasses digestion and usually raises serum D levels more efficiently.

Something like this:

Vitamin D-3 Liquid Extra Strength - 1 oz.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                            Have you considered MCT-based drops that you place under the tongue to absorb directly into the blood stream? Bypasses digestion and usually raises serum D levels more efficiently.

Something like this:

Vitamin D-3 Liquid Extra Strength - 1 oz.
                            Thanks. In all my searching, I had not found that particular brand before. I had a hard time finding a source that had a good amount per drop & adequate # of servings per bottle to be worth the investment. That one is only about $9 on iHerb . I will look into that when I run out of my current supplement, for both myself and my husband.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              Thanks. In all my searching, I had not found that particular brand before. I had a hard time finding a source that had a good amount per drop & adequate # of servings per bottle to be worth the investment. That one is only about $9 on iHerb . I will look into that when I run out of my current supplement, for both myself and my husband.
                              I use them and I haven't even been diagnosed with a deficiency. But I can attest. They're damned effective!

Just use the number of drops x 1,000 to reach your dose and hold under the tongue for like two or three minutes. Then swallow the rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X