Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Protein Intake in Light of New Study in the Journal Cell Metabolism

In light of this study

Too much protein could lead to early death, study says - The Washington Post

does any of this superb article by Mark Sisson below need updating, in terms of protein intake?

How Much Protein Should You Be Eating? | Mark's Daily Apple

I don't have an opinion yet. And I think many people can benefit from expert commentary about newly released studies on nutrition and health.

Protein shuts off autophagey which is basically programmed and intentional cell death by the body. This is part of the body's crucial ability to detox and cleanse itself. This is how caloric restriction is theorized to extend life span.

Even if you are eating a pretty high protein diet, you can still get plenty of autophagey going on by integrating some IFing into your routine. If you simply go long enough without eating, the body recognizes the lack of protein and will up regulate autophagey to compensate. Mark has pointed out that independent of caloric or macro restricting, IFing alone has shown significant ability to extend lifespan.

So, those who are IFing regularly, might be getting the same benefits as those restricting protein or caloric intake, without actually having to do so.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Horrible, misleading articles. It's another observational attack article. The fact that they use HIGH CARB, HIGH PROTEIN diets to demonize Atkins and Paleo should be enough to tell you that. Remember, high protein diets tend to mean a lot of correlations, such as lots of hamburger buns and lots of french fries.

However, I personally do think many of us overdo protein. Our ancestors ate the whole animal, including the fat, organs, and even skin and brains. That means way more fat as a percentage of calories. Now that humans focus on muscle meat, we get way more protein than we ever did as a percentage of calories.

Myself, I tend to get around 60g to 100g of protein per day, just based around what I eat. I feel pretty comfortable with that.

Comment

The washington post article has already been posted.

Consensus says.... Its bunk. Eat your proteins and live a long healthy life.

Comment

Originally posted by bob loblaw View Post
          Myself, I tend to get around 60g to 100g of protein per day, just based around what I eat. I feel pretty comfortable with that.
          I'm experimenting with the lower end -- 70g or so of protein per day. It's interesting -- no problems so long as I keep up my carbs up.

Comment

Thanks Drumroll. Just have one question: I'm confused about the word "IFing," in your post. Does that mean "fasting" or something else? Quotations below.

>>you can still get plenty of autophagey going on by integrating some IFing into your routine>>

>>Mark has pointed out that independent of caloric or macro restricting, IFing alone has shown significant ability to extend lifespan.>>

>>So, those who are IFing regularly, might be getting the same benefits as those restricting protein or caloric intake, without actually having to do so.>>

Comment

Originally posted by KellyGerling View Post
              Thanks Drumroll. Just have one question: I'm confused about the word "IFing," in your post. Does that mean "fasting" or something else? Quotations below.
              Intermittent fasting. So, even if you have a high protein diet but you don't eat again for 16-20 hours, your body still interprets this as a protein deficient state and will up-regulate autophagey, down-regulate IGF-1, and all those "dangerous" things that protein can effect. According to Mark, IFing can increase life span as much or more than, caloric and/or protein restriction. And lots of good protein, because it is the most satiating macronutrient, increases one's ability to fast exponentially.

How Fasting Increases Lifespan | Mark's Daily Apple
              Last edited by Drumroll; 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Yea, point is don't eat too much. Of anything.
                Eating too much kills you, and eating little makes you live long. Our bodies evolved for going hungry time to time, constant glut makes a mess of them.

Comment

Dear Drumroll, I found your comments very helpful, as well as the article you posted. Much thanks, Kelly

Comment

I'm shooting for about 130g/day and I weigh 165.

As to your media report (can't call it science....)

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/03/a...ad-as-smoking/

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      I'm shooting for about 130g/day and I weigh 165.

As to your media report (can't call it science....)

Animal protein as bad as smoking?!
                      Nice one. I'm still waiting for Denise Minger to tear into this one just 'cause she does it so good.

Comment

Working...
                      X