Ad Widget

Collapse

Are you REALLY getting enough vitamin D from the sun?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you REALLY getting enough vitamin D from the sun?

An interesting video on the subject:

This is the Optimal Amount of Sun Exposure - YouTube
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Good reminder. Thankfully I get stir crazy around noon so I always walk somewhere 15-30 min each way.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
      Good reminder. Thankfully I get stir crazy around noon so I always walk somewhere 15-30 min each way.
      But even naked at noon is sort of irrelevant for vitamin D in late fall and winter.

Also, according to the video, it is going to be that sort of solar noon which is pretty much the only time you're going to be making any relevant amounts. So even when you're out in the hot and sticky late summer afternoon you're making little or no vitamin D.

Seems like there are a lot of factors we need to consider when trying to optimize our vitamin D production from the sun. This video gives a lot of good advice.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Good stuff! Glad you shared it.

I layed out in the sun at noon in a bikini in Santa Fe (from April- Jun) and could only maintain my blood level at 57 ng/ml without supplementation. I am skin type IV on the Fitzpatrick scale.

Fine for most folk, but I need to keep mine around 80 ng/ml to keep my asthma at bay. I supplement 8,000 IUs year-round now that we are back in the Pac NW.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
          Good stuff! Glad you shared it.

I layed out in the sun at noon in a bikini in Santa Fe (from April- Jun) and could only maintain my blood level at 57 ng/ml without supplementation. I am skin type IV on the Fitzpatrick scale.

Fine for most folk, but I need to keep mine around 80 ng/ml to keep my asthma at bay. I supplement 8,000 IUs year-round now that we are back in the Pac NW.
          Yeah, this video is to give the invariably large number of Primal folks who will be dropping their vitamin D supps because of the increased sunlight in coming days of spring and summer, how to get sun exposure PROPERLY in order to get their vitamin D levels up.

And, to give reasons why some folks, even in the summer, might not want to be so hasty and drop it from their regime.

Comment

8 eggs a day is plenty of vitamin D, by the way.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              8 eggs a day is plenty of vitamin D, by the way.
              According to Cronometer, 8 eggs gets you just BARELY over the RDA for vitamin D. A number I consider to be far too low personally.

Comment

Yeah, but meh.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Yeah, but meh.
                  Intestinal absorption of vitamin D is also shitty low which is why I think liquid sublingual vitamin D is a great choice.

Now, if you were eating omelets filled with sardines and grass-fed lamb on a daily basis? You might have something there.

Comment

Knifegill,

is there a difference for eggs to be boiled or fried? Or doesn't matter?

Thanks for sharing, didin't know that!

Comment

I get lamb for 4.50 a pound, tendon and bones in it. It's for the wife, so the milk is good for baby. Maybe after steak and eggs I'll make lamb a staple. Sounds like a plan!

I eat canned mackerel. That has D, too, if I'm not mistaken.

I try to leave my yolks runny, slightly gelled at the bottom, sunny-side up and sometimes easy over both achieve a hot, runny yolk. I'd go raw, but the whites I'm sure just won't settle - and biotin deficiency, of course. Raw yolk is more nutritious.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I get lamb for 4.50 a pound, tendon and bones in it. It's for the wife, so the milk is good for baby. Maybe after steak and eggs I'll make lamb a staple. Sounds like a plan!

I eat canned mackerel. That has D, too, if I'm not mistaken.

I try to leave my yolks runny, slightly gelled at the bottom, sunny-side up and sometimes easy over both achieve a hot, runny yolk. I'd go raw, but the whites I'm sure just won't settle - and biotin deficiency, of course. Raw yolk is more nutritious.
                        It has to be grass-fed lamb for vitamin D in the meat though, otherwise only the lanolin (typically extracted for D supps) will have it.

Mackerel does have some D, though not as much as sardines by volume (especially the whole Brislings) if I recall. And mackerel is notorious for being packed in poorly sourced cans lined with a mouthful of BPA. =\

Sardines have an advantage here because since they've recently become so popular, customers have demanded, and many manufacturers have delivered, liner-free cans.

Some mushrooms can synthesize vitamin D in them if they're grown in certain conditions with ultraviolet lights (ala the way humans do it) but it's tough to figure out which brands of 'shrooms may or may not have been grown with the lights. It's a crapshoot really.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                          Some mushrooms can synthesize vitamin D in them if they're grown in certain conditions with ultraviolet lights (ala the way humans do it) but it's tough to figure out which brands of 'shrooms may or may not have been grown with the lights. It's a crapshoot really.
                          They have some brands of packaged mushrooms that specifically state Vit D content and all the ultraviolet info. However they are twice the price as the other mushrooms. Easier to just pop the pill and stick with regular shrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
                            They have some brands of packaged mushrooms that specifically state Vit D content and all the ultraviolet info. However they are twice the price as the other mushrooms. Easier to just pop the pill and stick with regular shrooms.
                            Totally agree. It's why I take my liquid sublingual vitamin D.

Comment

Anyone have solid data on intestinal D absorption?

M.

Comment

Working...
                              X