Ad Widget

Collapse

Are you REALLY getting enough vitamin D from the sun?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Finally got to watch that vid. I'm guessing as someone who works from 8-5, I'm pretty much hosed.

M.
    Man, that's why God made liquid vitamin D supps, because he took pity on people like you.

Seriously though... You should try it before you go complaining about how "hosed" you are.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

My next supp buy will have sublingual D and B12 at least.

I need to get my "Rate my multi!" post up soon, maybe this evening...

M.

Comment

Originally posted by kmarie View Post
        Ah, I see what you mean, Drumroll.
        I live in FL so d-minder tells me I need about 15m and that's with shorts and a t on.
        If I'm busy inside I like that it reminds me to get the heck outside, even for a while
        I also have read that you shouldn't wash (ESP w soap) after being outside, so the D has a chance to absorb.
        Again, not everyone (even in Florida) has the time or ability to get out in the sun for the amount of time necessary to get adequate D from the sun.

It's great that you can manage it, but not everyone is in your position to have that flexibility. Even if you say "but it doesn't take that long," well, yes it can if you consider a variety of factors such as how people are dressed, how much skin they can afford to expose, how far north they are, how long their summer typically is, busy work schedules and lives... If they're coming from a severely D deficient state they may not even be able to get up to normal D levels with regular, daily exposure to the sun. Supplementation, even in the heat of the summer, may still be critical for these people.

One cannot simply extract from what works on themselves and say, "hey it worked for me, everyone should do it this way," which I think is exactly the video's point.
        Last edited by Drumroll; 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

My next supp buy will have sublingual D and B12 at least.

I need to get my "Rate my multi!" post up soon, maybe this evening...

M.
          Dude... Just... Forget multis for you D (they usually have D2 and not D3 anyway) and just get some dedicated liquid vitamin D3. Try the brand I mentioned here if you can find it. D3 is important enough that if you have reason to be concerned, best not to mess around and just go straight to a dedicated supp that has a potent enough dose to get your levels up.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
            Again, not everyone (even in Florida) has the time or ability to get out in the sun for the amount of time necessary to get adequate D from the sun.

It's great that you can manage it, but not everyone is in your position to have that flexibility. Even if you say "but it doesn't take that long," well, yes it can if you consider a variety of factors such as how people are dressed, how much skin they can afford to expose, how far north they are, how long their summer typically is, busy work schedules and lives... If they're coming from a severely D deficient state they may not even be able to get up to normal D levels with regular, daily exposure to the sun. Supplementation, even in the heat of the summer, may still be critical for these people.

One cannot simply extract from what works on themselves and say, "hey it worked for me, everyone should do it this way," which I think is exactly the video's point.
            True! When I worked 12 hr shifts I was stuck inside and could only dream of feeling the sun on my skin

I'm not saying don't supplement, I just wanted to share a free app I think is neat

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
              Dude... Just... Forget multis for you D (they usually have D2 and not D3 anyway) and just get some dedicated liquid vitamin D3. Try the brand I mentioned here if you can find it. D3 is important enough that if you have reason to be concerned, best not to mess around and just go straight to a dedicated supp that has a potent enough dose to get your levels up.
              Oh I'm with you there; my next order will have liquid D on it. Those just go under the tongue for absorption right? 'Cause if I'm swallowing it, I don't think it'll work right.

You know, I cut back on the milk and started getting a bit more bleh than before...probably because it was my #1 D3 source.

M.

Comment

Oh I'm with you there; my next order will have liquid D on it. Those just go under the tongue for absorption right? 'Cause if I'm swallowing it, I don't think it'll work right.

You know, I cut back on the milk and started getting a bit more bleh than before...probably because it was my #1 D3 source.

M.
                You hold it under the tongue for several minutes. Then, swallow the rest. If you get a good brand that's basically MCT and D only, it'll be perfectly safe to consume. If there's a little residual D left in it at that point, letting your intestines try to take it isn't an issue. I like to hold it under my tongue for about five minutes just personally.

Comment

Originally posted by kmarie View Post
                  I also have read that you shouldn't wash (ESP w soap) after being outside, so the D has a chance to absorb.
                  Apparently you shouldn't wash the skin with soap before either (because then you remove the natural layer of fat that help with the synthesization of vitamin D from the sun). Another good reason not to take a bath - yay!
                  I just am not sure how many hours before/after sun exposure one shouldn't wash, but at least 24 h i read somewhere.
                  Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Originally posted by ToldUzo View Post
                    Apparently you shouldn't wash the skin with soap before either (because then you remove the natural layer of fat that help with the synthesization of vitamin D from the sun). Another good reason not to take a bath - yay!
                    I just am not sure how many hours before/after sun exposure one shouldn't wash, but at least 24 h i read somewhere.
                    Interesting! Looks like more reason to skip the soap more often

Comment

Working...
                    X