No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one meal a day results

Hello,
    I'm curious to hear the results of people who tried Pklopp's one meal a day diet/lifestyle.

Did you lose fat?
    Did you lose muscle/strength?
    How did it effect other aspects of your life?
    Was is sustainable? Do you still eat this way?
    Did you have a goal for grams of protein?
    Did you restrict carbohydrates?
    Did you count calories?

I have followed Pklopp's one meal a day since last August and am very pleased with the results. I track my intake with CRON-O- Meter. No plans to change this lifestyle. It may not be for everyone, but it is working well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bilbo2 View Post
      am very pleased with the results
      Do you have time to qualify this statement a bit more? Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure if I've followed that plan specifically, but there are definitely many days when I only eat one meal. I don't do it intentionally, but have just trained myself over the last several years to only eat when hungry, and if I'm not hungry I don't eat. I eat a lot of nutrient dense foods, so it's common for me to only be hungry enough to eat one meal per day. Sometimes one, two or even three days go by without me ever getting hungry, so I end up going on brief, spontaneous fasts.

As for my weight, body fat and muscle mass, I don't keep track of these variables religiously so can't speak to them with precision. My body fat percentage is low, I'd guess 6-8 percent, and I have a good amount of muscle mass for my body size. I probably weight around 150 pounds.

I've been pleased with the results. Mood is stably good, mind is clear, digestive system works well when I call upon it to do its job...
        Web: EricGarza.info
        Twitter: @EricGarzaVT
        Facebook: Eric Garza

Comment

My results are that my weight and importantly, my appetite, are more under my control than almost ever before in my life. The one meal a day protocol is an invaluable tool for me. I get hungry, but it is a tolerable sensation for the first time in as long as I can remember. But everyone is different and not everyone needs to lose weight. I only know it works for me.

My meal compositions are about equal calories fat-protein-carbs and I strictly control calories. Mostly greens and grass fed beef with minimal starches. I do not miss other foods. I attribute the appetite blunting as much to lower carbs and blood sugar as to the one meal. I have no lack of energy and I exercise every day.

What is your situation, OP?
          Last edited by bilbo2; 03-16-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bilbo2 View Post
            What is your situation, OP?
            Height: 5'6"
            Sex: male
            Weight: 156ish lb
            Composition: between 15% and 20% fat
            Goal: get to around 10% before the end of the year

I'm mostly curious about this WOE to lose fat with while maintaining as much strength as possible.

Comment

I am female, 64yo and still somewhat overweight--although losing steadily-- so not sure how relevant my experience is to you OP! Good luck though and I too am curious to hear from others who do one meal a day.

Comment

I love how you guys all talk as if Pklopp "invented" this way of eating.

I have been eating this way for some time now. I would guess even before Pklopp began his "explorations" into once-a-day eating. And indeed, Ori Hofmekler wrote The Warrior Diet years before that. I have been having great results overall. The time freed for me to do things OTHER than prepare food is one hell of a liberating feeling.

People always talk about the supposed weight-loss and body comp benefits to eating this way, but let me just say, there's a huge psychological benefit as well to not being married to your kitchen and when the next meal is going to be. You mean I'm NOT thinking about food every two hours and I'M the weird one?!?

Just FYI, traveling with constant snackers is a pain in the ass.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                  The time freed for me to do things OTHER than prepare food is one hell of a liberating feeling....there's a huge psychological benefit as well to not being married to your kitchen and when the next meal is going to be. You mean I'm NOT thinking about food every two hours and I'M the weird one?!?
                  I could not agree more Drumroll! Regardless of who "invented" IF (if anyone), it has come to feel very natural to me and I cannot imagine going back to what, in retrospect, seems like eating all day long. No wonder my metabolism was out of whack.
                  Last edited by bilbo2; 03-16-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I don't think anybody claims to have "invented" eating once a day. PKlopp talks about why this might be a good idea for some people.

I've done this on several occasions to lean up from, say, 16% bodyfat down to 12 or 10 or lower on a few occasions. I feel great on it. I kind of naturally gravitate towards it when I'm actively undereating. Right now, I'm getting ready for a powerlifting meet, so I'm compressing my "feeding window" if you will and will eventually end up going all the way to OMAD only if I need to (although based on the scale today, I probably won't have to go quite that "extreme" and will end up with 1 smaller meal and 1 larger meal, 4-5 hours apart most days)
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by akisswithafist View Post
                      Hello,
                      I'm curious to hear the results of people who tried Pklopp's one meal a day diet/lifestyle.

Did you lose fat?
                      Did you lose muscle/strength?
                      How did it effect other aspects of your life?
                      Was is sustainable? Do you still eat this way?
                      Did you have a goal for grams of protein?
                      Did you restrict carbohydrates?
                      Did you count calories?
                      I have not heard of Pklopp but like the other poster said, I follow Ori Hofmekler's Warrior Diet protocol for the most part. I eat very lightly and then have a large meal of protein, carbs, and fat for dinner on weekdays, when I work out in the afternoon or evening, and then on weekends I will have a large lunch after working out in the morning. Works for me. I started doing it last summer, and I followed it pretty strictly then but have since been more lax. For the most part I think it is a good plan.
                      Males especially seem to do well on it, so I think it will work well for you. I'm a 20 yo female, which means strict IF protocols don't always work as well for me. I've found switching it up more works better. I'd encourage you to give a solid try, though.
                      If you enjoy it and it works for you, it's extremely sustainable. I can see myself eating this way for the rest of my life. I feel clearheaded and alert all day, and then I can come home and enjoy making myself a large, satisfying dinner where I can eat to satiety.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                        I love how you guys all talk as if Pklopp "invented" this way of eating.

I have been eating this way for some time now. I would guess even before Pklopp began his "explorations" into once-a-day eating. And indeed, Ori Hofmekler wrote The Warrior Diet years before that. I have been having great results overall. The time freed for me to do things OTHER than prepare food is one hell of a liberating feeling.

People always talk about the supposed weight-loss and body comp benefits to eating this way, but let me just say, there's a huge psychological benefit as well to not being married to your kitchen and when the next meal is going to be. You mean I'm NOT thinking about food every two hours and I'M the weird one?!?

Just FYI, traveling with constant snackers is a pain in the ass.
                        +1 to all of this.

Comment

The Gorbag diet; eat once a week only! It is definatly not for everybody and to be honest I do not personally follow this diet myself! Maybe not a very good diet at all, unless for people over 60 % of bodyfat...
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I tried it for a few months, but I struggled to eat enough calories in my evening meal. My mood went down, my hands and feet got cold, I felt gnawing hunger late in the afternoon etc. I was also eating lots of heavy cream with dessert to try and eat enough.

I've since reintroduced breakfast (and pudding is now an infrequent treat).
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Before recently, I used one meal a day for weight rather than health. I love food. Those little 400 calorie meals, or a "palm sized" piece of salmon just make me hungry for a real meal. So I ate one totally satisfying meal per day. It kept me under 120 pounds and I looked good in white jeans - those were my only goals. I didn't feel deprived because even if I was hungry in the middle of the day, I knew that waiting 'til dinner meant something yummy (like half a large pizza).

Now my goals are more oriented to health. I mostly eat one big meal, but also often eat in a few-hour window instead. I'm 20 pounds heavier, but I'm much more sedentary than I was. And much older. And I haven't had a pizza in about 20 months.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X