Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice new Paul Jaminet interview on Not Just Paleo podcast.

Discusses tons of stuff from his book, including rice, RS, and IF'ing.
    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

• I was with him on the podcast. Paul is a great mentor.
      My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
      Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

• Okay so I have been following PHD for nearly 2 weeks now and here is what observations I have made so far:

I haven't been eating primal for very long but had lost 8 of the 16lbs I would like to lose in first few weeks, then added in more starch and gained all the weight back on very quickly. However, in past few days I have noticed it seems to be going again (not weighed yet to confirm though as last weigh-in upset me)

I had no problem waiting till lunch to eat when I started primal - just wasn't hungry but on PHD I wake up hungry so have struggled to do the 'eat in 8 hour window' I am not sure this would also improve over time.

I prefer rice to potato to eat but it seems to bloat me more

All in all I still remain very unsure about this WOE and I am not sure how long I should give it. Being fairly new here I find this site has a lot of very valuable information but can also be extremely confusing at the same time.

Comment

• If you (or anyone else) find the pound of starch + fruit to be simply too much, there's no fault at all in simply scaling to your body. No need to label yourself; your cells can't read.

Comment

• I don't worry about the 8 hour window but eat only 3 meals and no snacks. Usually I eat dinner by 5 and breakfast at 7 so that's 14 hours of fasting and a 10 hour eating window. Does anyone know why 8 hours has significance? I've read the book but don't remember offhand. I also eat resistant starch foods to stabilize blood sugar and reduce cravings and appetite (more info on resistant starch thread.)
            Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Energy! View Post
              Does anyone know why 8 hours has significance? I've read the book but don't remember offhand.
              Digestion is a powerful diurnal signal--eating at random times might worsen circadian stress.

Also many upkeep functions (disposal of liver fat, broken aminos, pathogens) occur only in the fed state or fasted state, and modern folks skew toward excessive time spent in the fed state.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

• Perfect Health Diet Support Thread

Just an update. I did weigh myself today and the pounds that I initially put on when changing to this woe have disappeared. So pleased about that.

Seeing as I have a bit more to lose I have gone back to their website to read more on weight loss. I am going to cut the fat back to 35-40% for the time being.

I just wanted to let people know not to be put off by initial weight gain because mine increased then went back down without adjusting anything and overall I feel very good

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• That's a great report scrunchie. It gives me hope that next time I give this a try, I will have the same success.

Comment

• Scrunchy,
                    I also went up 5-10 lbs on the evil scale the first month of adding in RS (feb). Now I'm finally back down to starting weight 2 months later. Btw, I didn't go up in clothing size and I felt & functioned better. That along with reading that some do gain when adding RS made me relax and keep going w it.
                    K

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• So -- a week without iodine supplementation, and the horribly painful cystic lesions that were taking over my upper body have started to heal up. Thank goodness! I'm keeping up with a fair amount of starch, trying to keep fat intake moderate, and getting as many nutrient dense foods as possible in. So far I haven't really gained (maybe a pound or two), but I still feel a lot puffier than normal. Clothes are still fitting decently, so at least I'm not outgrowing them.

Still, I'd say just the skin going back to normal (which isn't great, but isn't horrible) is enough to keep me on track for giving this a real shot. And I really do like eating Japanese sweet potatoes and rice again. Mmmm.

Comment

• Well . . . I've been trying the PHD for about 3 weeks now, not perfectly though! LOL

Unfortunately, the scale hasn't budged, and I've noticed a fat layer or bloating in the tummy area, along with somewhat slower digestion. I think the main things I'm struggling with is food prep time and food aversions that make this way of eating difficult for me. I also don't think I'm eating the amount of food Jaminet suggests for fear of gaining weight.

I'm also struggling to eat 3 meals within an 8-hour window.

Do any of you have ways to make food prep less time-consuming, or swaps I can make to certain foods, like liver or bone broth (I just can't!) or the sheer amount of veggies and starchy foods?

On a positive note, my sleep is improved and I have good energy.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                          If you (or anyone else) find the pound of starch + fruit to be simply too much, there's no fault at all in simply scaling to your body. No need to label yourself; your cells can't read.
                          How do I scale the amount of starch and fruit to my body? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by oneday@atime View Post
                            How do I scale the amount of starch and fruit to my body? Thanks!
                            Smaller people in general, need less carbs. Less active people in general, need less carbs.

There is no rule here, there is only you and how you feel however.

If you are constantly bloated and think you may be gaining weight on a pound of starch a day, there is no reason you can't try 3/4 a pound or even only 1/2. The PHD is (I hope) being taken as a set of guidelines by most of you guys and not a set of absolutes. As Mark would say, (yeah, yeah, he's not Jaminet but who cares) "when in doubt, tweak, experiment, and check back in a week or two!"
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Thanks Drumroll--I think I may be eating too much starch and fat. And I need to listen to my body and pay attention to how I feel. Overall, though, I do feel better with added starch, such as potatoes and rice. I also need to figure out how much fat I should be eating.

Comment

• Perfect Health Diet Support Thread

Originally posted by oneday@atime View Post
                                Thanks Drumroll--I think I may be eating too much starch and fat. And I need to listen to my body and pay attention to how I feel. Overall, though, I do feel better with added starch, such as potatoes and rice. I also need to figure out how much fat I should be eating.
                                Exactly! Experimentation is great.

I would recommend a food journal. If you're against tracking, just don't track anything more than foods, times, energy, and moods. Food journaling lead me to "curing" my terrible cystic acne by identifying a wheat intolerance. I highly recommend it.

OH. And I think the pound of starch suggestion is based on a 2000 calorie diet, so if you eat 1800 calories, try eating more like 12-14 ounces of starch instead of the whole pound.

I find digestion of starches is easier with a little fat (potato salad with whole milk yogurt, rice with coconut milk). I have very stable moods, energy, and cravings when I do this. Your mileage may vary, but that's why we experiment!
                                Last edited by RittenRemedy; 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X