Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been following PHD for the last week. I'm doing it based on a lot of Internet reading while I wait for the book.

I'm reserving judgement as I have seen the scale go up this week. It is probably just an adjustment coming from VLC.

On the plus side, my mood is very stable even with work stress. Last night I slept 10 hours. I can't remember the last time that happened unless I was very sick. I also have more energy in my Pilates class and can enjoy a 5k walk on my way home from class. Those are all great benefits.

In the weight loss version, from what I read, they talk about lowering fats not carbs or protein for weight loss.

I'm going to trust in the process.

Paula, I'm so glad you started this thread. I will check out your journal!

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      A few months back, Wild Planet raised it's canned sardine price enough that it came too close to what I pay per pound for wild salmon - tracking it made me realize that it was time to stop the subscription.
      Yup, I only get them when my medical insurer offers a coupon. I'm happy when they do since the typical offers are corn oil, bagels, and Crystal Light.

Originally posted by Uselis View Post
      Thats 1500 calories from those two. How I supposed to get another 1500 from fat? That is what I don't understand.
      Fat is elective--just scale up or down with appetite. Protein sources are often ~50% fat. Starches can be dressed in butter. Vegetables can be dipped in sour cream, tossed in olive oil, sauteéd in bacon, poached in coconut milk--it adds up quickly enough when you need it.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
        Okay. Here are the recommendations from the site I linked in the first post.

About 3 pounds of plant food. (This is a lot higher than the PB weightloss recs for carbs. 150 g is the low end)
        -1 lb of starch from potatoes, white rice, taro, plantains, tapioca, sago. I get my lb from potatoes and rice. Adding plantains soon.
        - 1 lb fruit and sugary in ground veg
        - low calorie veg to taste

1/2 to 1 lb of meat and fish. Limiting pork and conventionally raised poultry.

Low omega 6 fats to taste. (A little vague.)

Acids to taste from vinegars, lemons etc.

Snacks or desserts from pleasure foods list.

***All eaten in an 8 hr window with a 16 hr daily fast.

Protein 15-30% of cals. (300 cals 75g rec as optimal for most)
        Carbs 30%-45% (600 cals minimum rec. Up to 500 more cals per hour of athletic activity.)
        Fats about 50% (Can be changed based on weight loss goals)
        Minimum cals recommended is 1300, but they like to start everyone in their program at no less than 2000.

***I am merely reporting the recommendations. The book can be a little confusing, but there is good information there..
        Looks like my recent adjustments to my diet have landed me squarely in PHD land. Reading over their blog in the last week, I like a lot of what they have to say. I've always done better with a portion of carbohydrates, though I've done standard primal (100g carbs) for quite a while with good improvements in mood and energy. I tried low carb (50g) a couple times and it didn't sit well with me (felt great then crashed, which seems to allude to a negative effect on the adrenals/thyroid according to Kresser and others).

I gradually raised my carb intake very slowly since September following cravings, energy levels, and tolerance until a few weeks ago, I got more into resistant starch and landed at a very comfortable 155g/day average coming from a couple servings of RS foods (potatoes, rice, lentils, and oats--the later both soaked 24 hours) and fruit, which, with plenty of veg, greens, and my pound of fish/meat, turns out to be basically PHD from what I can tell (other than the bit of legume and grain).

My cravings even for chocolate just died with I combined RS potatoes and dairy from butter and rich cheese, and while fresh rice puts me into the most wonderful sleep, I can eat RS rice at noon and be fine. Whether this is RS or I've hit another (for this point in my life) carb sweet spot, I can't tell, but I'm willing to hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
          My resolution this year was to track expenses better. Any fellow cheapskates feel free to check my grocery receipts for reference points on PHD foods:

PHD on a budget
          D8

Lists and numbers?! <3

Comment

UselisAs picklepete said, I find that fats are pretty easy to rack up quickly at 9 calories a gram. I aim for 1100 cals of fat.
            I cook with butter, put it on my potatoes, add CO to my coffee, plus the fat in meat. Maybe it would help to use an app like My Fitness Pal to track your fats and see how fast they add up.
            1/11/18 We have moved! Join us at primalforums.com

Comment

Interesting observation...I have been supplementing with 5htp for over a year. In the last two weeks, I have noticed that it makes me tired if I take it during the day and restless at night. These are generally signs that supplementation is no longer needed. It is believed that serotonin production is controlled by the gut. Looks as if some healing is occuring. Cool.

Comment

UselisAs picklepete said, I find that fats are pretty easy to rack up quickly at 9 calories a gram. I aim for 1100 cals of fat.
                I cook with butter, put it on my potatoes, add CO to my coffee, plus the fat in meat. Maybe it would help to use an app like My Fitness Pal to track your fats and see how fast they add up.
                I like the PHD approach, it is quite similar to my French-like diet when I think of it (I just avoid gluten and extra refined sugar about 100% but I am not religious about it, it happens VERY rarely). I just eat some legumes now and then, which the PHD says you should not. I don't know, a good home-made cassoulet or humus from nicely prepared chickpeas won't harm anyone I think but I don't know much of the science behind legumes. I don't like peanuts so that must take care of the greatest offender I guess ...

Just wanted to say that I don't count fats. When I stuff myself with starches, I feel so full that the idea of extra fat is not appealing. I do like to cook with them (ghee, butter, duck fat, bacon fat) and do eat fatty stuff (fish, meat, etc). But I don't add fat on purpose (coffee, chocolate, extra butter everywhere, etc) except for a nice dressing for the salad.

If I did not consume starches, I think I would up the fat but I like me starches too much

Comment

To be clear, I actually only use enough fat to make things edible. Potatoes without butter are tough to eat. Lol
                  I add CO and gelatin to my am coffee so that I can take supplements.

I do periodically input my food day on MFP, just to see what I am actually getting nutritionally and so others can see what I am eating.

Comment

Potatoes without butter are tough to eat. Lol
                    Actually, not so. Totally plain, yes, you cannot stuff yourself with just plain boiled taters (I tried the potato hack a few times, it is a hunger killer ...).
                    But dress them with vinegar, salt and pepper, add a couple of sardines, some green leaves of some kind, cherry tomatoes, olives, white onion bits, etc ... it becomes a different matter

Comment

It's weird, I cannot swallow them without fat. I add vinegar salt and pepper as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                        Actually, not so. Totally plain, yes, you cannot stuff yourself with just plain boiled taters (I tried the potato hack a few times, it is a hunger killer ...).
                        But dress them with vinegar, salt and pepper, add a couple of sardines, some green leaves of some kind, cherry tomatoes, olives, white onion bits, etc ... it becomes a different matter
                        Well, I know what I'm having for lunch.

Comment

...Yes, sardines have fat, but I just haven't been able to eat those...yet. I know they are amazingly good for you.

Comment

...Yes, sardines have fat, but I just haven't been able to eat those...yet. I know they are amazingly good for you.
                            Cover them in something hot, like mustard. The only thing that could make that meal more perfect for me is either some grated cheese or Dijon mustard vinaigrette. Mmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                              The only thing that could make that meal more perfect for me is either some grated cheese or Dijon mustard vinaigrette. Mmmmm
                              hehe, that's the way I do as well (Manchego or Pecorino usually), I also add the odd bits of avocado sometimes, and some hard boiled eggs pieces, but I gave a lighter recipe in terms of fat to show that one can enjoy boiled taters without butter and added fat (yeah, sardines are little fatty beasts but fat-free sardines ? never heard of that ).

Comment

Unfortunately...dairy free here. The problem with sardines for me is that they are...tiny fish, that taste like...fish. Silly, I know. I have always preferred milder tasting fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X