• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pebbles67
    started a topic Perfect Health Diet Support Thread

Perfect Health Diet Support Thread

Welcome!

Tomorrow will mark the end of my second month on the PHD. I have lost about 10 lbs and hit a new low weight. All of this has been reported in my journal, but I would like to share my experience with the larger MDA community. I am also hoping for support from others following this or similar eating plans.

The PHD is a higher carb Paleo program that uses safe starches, and fruit to reach a carb level of 150+.

Details can be found here: Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life | Perfect Health Diet

My backstory...I have been Primal for 3.5 years. I started near 280 at 5'10". About 3 weeks in I landed in the ICU with pulmonary emboli. I am now on coumadin for life to control a clotting disorder. I lost about 60 pounds in a year just following Primal by the book. (50-100 g carb, 100-130g protein and the rest fat). Shortly after my one year Primal anniversary, my Mom died of ovarian cancer after a four year fight. This triggered a resurfacing of a lifelong binge eating disorder...not helped by the fact the I am in my mid 40's and my hormones are messed up.

I spent the next two years experimenting with VLC, high fat keto, Leptin reset, high protein etc. I gained and lost the same 30 lbs over and over. I was frustrated that nothing could control the binge monster. I was making zero progress in my health goals.

I heard about PHD in my research about Resistant Starch.

Benefits so far:
    Weightloss in spite of binges
    Stable mood
    Stronger in the gym
    Better sleep
    Better response to carbs.
    Decreased PMS
    Better sex life.

I still binge, but my body handles it better. Less blood sugar backlash. Less weight gain. I have also been able to pinpoint lack of sleep and hormones as my big triggers.

I plan to post observations about the PHD and what I am eating in this thread. I am still learning how to work the plan. I would love input from anyone who is interested.

Thanks,
    Paula

• naiadknight
    replied
    It turns out that you do get decent amount from a cast iron pan, if you cook it right. unfortunately, it seems that the older the pan, the less you get. (More seasoning= less iron getting through?) I think my iron levels are actually okay, because I cook everything in that pan (besides tomatos and soupy things) when it's just me at home. It's also one of the knobbly bottom Lodge ones, so I figure that even as old as it is, I's still getting iron from smoothing the knobbly bits.

Leave a comment:

• RittenRemedy
    replied
    Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
    I accidentally hit upon a day that fills everything almost perfectly, save iron, with an o3: o6 ratio right at 3:1. It's relatively easy to do, too.
    Lunch was a hash flip. 1 grated sweet potato, 2 tbsp butter, 2 leftover grilled sausages, and 3 cups of a spinach/ kale/ chard mix, cooked until the hash is soft/ crispy and the greens are very wilted. Make 3 wells and crack an omega 3 egg into each well. Remember you forgot your brazil nut and quarter can of salmon, eat those. Flip the eggs and the surrounding hash when the white is ready to flip. Cook to your liking and eat out of the cast iron pan, making sure to get all the crunchy burnt bits.
    Dinner was a small hamburger salad with pan juices as the dressing and a baked potato with pan juices instead of butter. As a snack I had a banana and a peach.
    The majority of the nutrients come from the hash flip, with dinner and the fruit filling in the holes.
    I've heard you're supposed to get a bit of iron from cooking in pans, but no idea how much or why that wouldn't diminish the pan over time. I do know one thing though, even if Alton Brown does it, never put balsamic vinegar into a blueberry galette made in a cast iron pan. All the precious and hard won seasoning ended up on my teeth...

Leave a comment:

• Drock
    replied
    Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
    It's not critical. So long as you're eating between sun up and sun down, you're following the IF/ circadian eating idea.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Pamela M
    replied
    I've been perusing old threads, and in particular, an extensive thread about Ray Peat. Interesting to say the least, and I've since been reading and listening to what I can about his ideas. If anything, it's further muddied the 'acceptable food spectrum' and macro ratio. As with so many studies, I've taken what I agree with and discarded what I found pure folly. (sorry, but OJ and carrots are not going to turn my life around)

I've studied the PHD and as difficult as it is, I've listened to several podcasts featuring Paul Jaminet. (no insult intended, but he does have a rather laboured way of speaking). All in all, it seems pretty inclusive and common sense.

I've also been revisiting my old cookbooks--remember those with hardback covers io swipe screens?! This, more than anything else, has led me to my own phd. It includes more carbs than Marks 'sweet spot', but there is nothing taken in excess. There is never a feeling of 'I can't get enough of....' . When someone or some idea has a ring of a panacea, I proceed with caution. More than ever before, is balance the word of the day.

Leave a comment:

• naiadknight
    replied
    It's not critical. So long as you're eating between sun up and sun down, you're following the IF/ circadian eating idea.

Leave a comment:

• Drock
    replied
    How important is it to follow the 8-hour eating window? I tend to eat three meals, plus a post-workout snack, all within 12-13 hours.

Leave a comment:

• naiadknight
    replied
    I accidentally hit upon a day that fills everything almost perfectly, save iron, with an o3: o6 ratio right at 3:1. It's relatively easy to do, too.
    Lunch was a hash flip. 1 grated sweet potato, 2 tbsp butter, 2 leftover grilled sausages, and 3 cups of a spinach/ kale/ chard mix, cooked until the hash is soft/ crispy and the greens are very wilted. Make 3 wells and crack an omega 3 egg into each well. Remember you forgot your brazil nut and quarter can of salmon, eat those. Flip the eggs and the surrounding hash when the white is ready to flip. Cook to your liking and eat out of the cast iron pan, making sure to get all the crunchy burnt bits.
    Dinner was a small hamburger salad with pan juices as the dressing and a baked potato with pan juices instead of butter. As a snack I had a banana and a peach.
    The majority of the nutrients come from the hash flip, with dinner and the fruit filling in the holes.

Leave a comment:

• Pebbles67
    replied
    Good for you, Drock!

Leave a comment:

• picklepete
    replied
    Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    I've gradually gone up from ~100g to ~155g (my current average) with somedays +200g with no issues so long as I stick to clean sources
    Ditto, source is everything in my experience.

I'm looking in my office fridge and it's gallons of juice cocktails, flavored yogurt, frozen pita pockets, and (organic!) beany oaty crackers. The same folks pass through and sip sip nibble all day and I'd likely be one of them if I didn't have some proper starch waiting at home. I make a lot of cassava fries, spanish omelets, gimbap, kedgeree, shredded parsnip or celeriac (w/ pasta sauce), and plantain tortillas/pizzas once in a while--all very filling in normal quantities.

Leave a comment:

• RittenRemedy
    replied
    Originally posted by Drock View Post
    Hi, everyone. I have been eating Primally for a couple of years now. As you can see from my signature, I've done well with weight loss, but things are getting a little rough now. I have found myself doing really well at all of my meals, then craving crap and binging at night. I had been keeping carbs around 80-100g.

I'm trying to adpot a higher carb diet, pretty much PHD. I'm now having a starch with my dinner every night, as well as a little bit right after a work out. I'm eating more sweet potatoes and butternut squash, and have brought back rice and potatoes into my diet. It's only been about a week, but I've found that eating more starch and fruit, and making my carbs around 150g helps with the night time cravings.
    I've seen a ton of people who, after being lower on carbohydrate and having some success, feel the need to up carbs either a bit or a lot, whether it's weight loss stalls, bonking, or cravings. I think the low helps as a good reset for the metabolism so long as you continue to listen to your body's signals and be sensible about it.

Before primal, I had terrible blood sugar issues (at <20!), and even though I was never particularly VLC (for longer than three or four weeks lol), I've gradually gone up from ~100g to ~155g (my current average) with somedays +200g with no issues so long as I stick to clean sources and don't blow all my calories on carbs (get enough fat and protein, which means I don't blast 200 often, no need). I found potatoes were magically satisfying when combined with organic/mostly grass fed dairy and butter, though I should add what works brilliantly for me is apparently also supposed to kill me. Meh.

Leave a comment:

• Drock
    replied
    Hi, everyone. I have been eating Primally for a couple of years now. As you can see from my signature, I've done well with weight loss, but things are getting a little rough now. I have found myself doing really well at all of my meals, then craving crap and binging at night. I had been keeping carbs around 80-100g.

I'm trying to adpot a higher carb diet, pretty much PHD. I'm now having a starch with my dinner every night, as well as a little bit right after a work out. I'm eating more sweet potatoes and butternut squash, and have brought back rice and potatoes into my diet. It's only been about a week, but I've found that eating more starch and fruit, and making my carbs around 150g helps with the night time cravings.

Leave a comment:

• j3nn
    replied
    Originally posted by shannonstoney View Post
    I gained weight on the PHD. I kept carbs to 100 grams/day, but still. It seems better for me to just eat meat and vegetables. The safe starches apparently were not that safe.
    How much weight? It's common for people to gain water and glycogen weight after reintroducing carbs from a low-carb diet.

Leave a comment:

• shannonstoney
    replied
    I gained weight on the PHD. I kept carbs to 100 grams/day, but still. It seems better for me to just eat meat and vegetables. The safe starches apparently were not that safe.

Leave a comment:

• Zanna
    replied
    Originally posted by TQP View Post
    Just a suggestion... I only "set off" my carb cravings when I restrict the carbs. The longer I have over 300g carbs a day from fruits and maybe 20-40% starches, the less I crave crappier forms of carbs. That's just me though...

If I am low carb for a while, Cakes/cookies/etc tempt me more. Today I barely glanced at the Crumbs cupcakes (famous NYC bakery) in a rainbow of flavors, because I just had a few gf oatmeal + banana "cookies" and I have those daily as part of my eating plan because they make me happy.
    I feel like that now, too. I eat a ton of fruit every day and as time has gone on, I just don't crave the baked stuff anymore. There are two Tollhouse Cookie pie desserts in my fridge right now for my kids and I don't have any urge to eat them. That was not always the case, heh. There would be apologies to sad children and promises to replace said desserts, cause mom ate them. I'm just not interested anymore.

That said, I'm doing some days of just potatoes to kick off summer, so I expect to be grouchy and craving anything else by this time next week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X