Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum Weight Loss? (repost new title)

I'm on the 5th Cycle of this. I've lost about 15 pounds in two weeks after a bit of a stall.

6 ft / 226 lbs / 190-ish lean mass (Caliper based)

Refeed (1-2 Days):
    • 300g's of Carbs (Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli, Kale, Pineapple)
    • 50g's of Fat • The rest is chicken breast protein

Strict Keto (3-5 Days)
    • 60% Fat
    • 35% Protein
    • 5% or less carbs

Intermittent Fasting (36-48 Hours)
    • Nothing but Green Tea and Coffee

Anabolic Workout
    • Prior to refeed
    • At the end of Fasting

Supplements/Herbs/Spices
    • Turmeric
    • Cayenne
    • Fish Oil
    • Magnesium
    • Cinnamon (Ceylon)
    • Ginger
    • Cumin

Questions to all:
    1. Do you think this is sustainable?
    2. Do you think the accelerated weight loss can stall with this program?

Side note: The bowl reactions after the refeed (which is at the end of the fast, right after the anabolic workout) are pretty rough.

new to the forum but i have done a lot of research and i have been doing a plan very similar to yours for a few months. i can say 15 lbs seems high for 2 weeks. u should up your water intake to make sure u arnt just dehydrated. i do know no matter what u do your progress will slow no matter what u do. it shouldn't stop but it will slow. if you do see a problem try lowering your re feeds which can hurt if your metabolism slows due to the fasting. i don't do that high of a re feed. anytime i do i can feel it in my stomach. above all else you need to listen to your body. if you feel bad try to figure out why. make sure you drink alot of water.. test for dehydration- as long as you have been primal for a month look at your pee the yellower the more dehydrated. it shouldnt be clear ether. an off clear almost cream color. that has been my biggest problem in maintaining a steady fat loss. other than that it looks ok as long as u feel good and can sustain it. one ting i would suggest is drinking a little fruit juice as the first thing post fasting. this should pass through the body in 15 20 minutes and will help clean out the colon of excess junk.
    Last edited by alan9692; 04-08-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Whatever rocks your boat (I wouldn't optimize anything, taking it easy ) but I'd still add D to supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizner View Post
        [/B]1. Do you think this is sustainable?
        2. Do you think the accelerated weight loss can stall with this program?
        Doesn't matter what we think, can you sustain it? I doubt that any eating plan that causes rapid weight loss is sustainable. I've seen several people rapidly add weight when going off strict regimes or injuring themselves after vigorous exercise w/l programs.

Comment

Personally, I would do the anabolic workout after the re-feed rather than before, and do more of a depletion type of workout, (to deplete glycogen) before the re-feed.

Comment

Yes, as long as you have a calorie deficit for most of the days you’ll lose weight, that’s what matters at the end of the day anyway...
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

15 pound loss for the first two weeks is mostly water weight shed along with the glycogen stores.

It is pretty unreasonable to plan on losing more than two pounds per week while still maintaining your lean mass.

The plan looks very good to me in terms of having a detailed approach. As long as your lifting is going well (you are not exhausted and are slowly gaining strength and/or endurance) you are fine. If you start to bonk consider slightly more calories and/or slightly more carbs. Easy Peasy.

Is there lots of food variety within the plan?
              What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

A few little things:

-- I would add in creatine and BCAA, especially if you plan on working out with much any intensity in either a keto or fasted state. Otherwise the gains you make during the bulk/heavy carbs days may be negated. Both of these will help to retain more water, and keep strength while being hypocaloric a big part of the time.....BCAA is like insurance. It will prevent as much muscle wasting when you are cutting. It is my best friend.
                -- Sustainable? Absolutely, 200% no....sustainable means doing it for months or years on end. For me, any regimen that requires you place EVERY OUNCE of food that goes into your body on a food scale is not sustainable. I call this "eating like a lab rat", and I have done more than my share. It is a tool, and it will help you to understand portions/macros better, but it is NEVER a long-term strategy. I have never met anyone that is ripped throughout the year, every year, that puts their Ribeye on a scale before grilling it....none of this negates its value to get through plateaus, but forget about sustainability.
                -- Will it stall? Yes, again a certainty, but that is not the point. What you have laid out is a classic re-comp program that is setting out to do 2 things at once. By definition, this will give a decent return for a time, but eventually a true one-dimensional program will be necessary if you are significantly trained already.

Good luck man!
                "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
                  A few little things:

-- I would add in creatine and BCAA, especially if you plan on working out with much any intensity in either a keto or fasted state. Otherwise the gains you make during the bulk/heavy carbs days may be negated. Both of these will help to retain more water, and keep strength while being hypocaloric a big part of the time.....BCAA is like insurance. It will prevent as much muscle wasting when you are cutting. It is my best friend.
                  -- Sustainable? Absolutely, 200% no....sustainable means doing it for months or years on end. For me, any regimen that requires you place EVERY OUNCE of food that goes into your body on a food scale is not sustainable. I call this "eating like a lab rat", and I have done more than my share. It is a tool, and it will help you to understand portions/macros better, but it is NEVER a long-term strategy. I have never met anyone that is ripped throughout the year, every year, that puts their Ribeye on a scale before grilling it....none of this negates its value to get through plateaus, but forget about sustainability.
                  -- Will it stall? Yes, again a certainty, but that is not the point. What you have laid out is a classic re-comp program that is setting out to do 2 things at once. By definition, this will give a decent return for a time, but eventually a true one-dimensional program will be necessary if you are significantly trained already.

Good luck man!
                  Not to hijack the thread BUT...

Laz what are your thoughts on BCAA for women? I workout fasted and for next few weeks going VLC, which means I'm going to bonk in gym and would like not to.

Comment

I don't really buy into the hype that BCAA will help as far as energy in the gym. I have used it for awhile, and while it may give an incremental help when lifting in normal metabolic states, I feel like it gets blown away by true glycogen depletion training....in other words, BCAA for energy while fasted or VLC is like shooting spitballs at a tank
                    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

I'm not very knowledgeable, I didn't study the website, but it sort of looks like you're doing something similar to Lean Gains.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                      X