Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong? (Weight loss)

I have been lurking on MDA for months and months, and transitioned gradually from having a low fat, low protein, high carb diet to having much more fat and protein and cutting out grains.

In hindsight, I probably should have done it in one go, because I think I may have taken the 'you don't need to count calories' view a bit too literally and overdid it on fats (while still having a fair amount of carbs, mostly fruits)

I previously lost weight 3 or 4 years ago by eating mostly vegetarian, low calorie and low fat. I went from around 170 to 135. Believe it or not, I actually felt really great while I was losing the weight but I suppose it caught up on me, and I ended up having a lot of deficiencies (B vitamin, Iron..) I was really ignorant about health at this point, and I didn't even really consider it. (disclaimer: I was quite young!)

Once I'd lost it, the next couple of years were absolutely awful. I had constant fatigue, low mood, my hair and nails were terrible, and I couldn't concentrate on anything. I stayed between 140 and 150 (usually nearer to 150) up until the end of 2012. It was feeling so crap all the time that made me take more of an interest in my health and find MDA .

It was around the start of 2013 that I stopped eating low calorie, and started eating more fats. I still ate crap food at first though so I gained about 10-20 lbs. Through 2013 I stayed mostly in the 170s.

As of now, I am completely grain free and I think I eat quite well. I don't eat any junk or processed foods. I have a lot of vegetables and salads, eggs, nuts and organic beef/chicken/turkey. I have been eating dairy too, mostly yoghurt. I don't go to the gym but I have an active job and I walk a lot, but to be honest sometimes at weekends I am very lazy.

I have gone from 179 to 167 since January, by trying to not over indulge and having less starches and fruits, but in the last month or so I have just gone between 166 and 168. I am not sure if it is because I am eating too many calories, or too many carbs, or what? Could it be the dairy?

A typical day at the moment for me would be:

Fat 105g, Carbs 66g (net), Protein 90g

Breakfast: Protein shake (coconut milk, whey protein, stevia drops)
    Lunch: Chicken and chilli salad
    Dinner: Beef steak, salad, olive oil, strawberries
    Snack: Natural yoghurt with blueberries, chicken pieces.

If anyone has any input I would be very grateful. (:

Do you have time in the morning for a real meal? Are you hungry in the morning?

Do you usually have the snack between breakfast & lunch, or lunch & dinner?

What are your energy levels/deficiencies like now?
    Depression Lies

Comment

Some nuts like almonds can stall weight loss. They are too high in PUFAs, some have phytic acid, and they have a lot of carbs too, not to mention, a lot of them have mould.

For optimal weight loss you should not have more than 1 portion of fruits a day, and you could even fully skip fruits and stick only to dark leafy greens and cruciferous veggies.

Dairy is definitely something to watch out, as most people is very sensitive to it, and the whey protein powder is definitely not real food and completely unnecessary, I think that's a big point in the diet you describe.

Comment

I disagree with the limitation of fruit but I agree with the condemnation of nuts.

Also, gelatin is good.
        My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
          Do you have time in the morning for a real meal? Are you hungry in the morning?

Do you usually have the snack between breakfast & lunch, or lunch & dinner?

What are your energy levels/deficiencies like now?
          I start work at 7:30am most of the time, and it is around a 90 minute commute so I'm not hungry enough to eat at home, but if I skip breakfast I get really hungry by around 9 or 10 am.

When I snack it is usually quite random.. I think it's more of a habit than anything. Usually it's between lunch and dinner.

My energy levels are usually way better now, except I get really tired sometimes on work days, but I think that is more stress related. I've had all my blood tests re-done, and everything is good now including blood sugar, thyroid, liver function, electrolytes ect ect

Comment

Ditch the "breakfast". Either that or eat a real meal for breakfast.

Consider going dairy free may also be an option.

Start exercising! It really will help with energy, mood, and setting you up to be a better fat burner hormonally.

Comment

Originally posted by Demonas Karalius View Post
              Some nuts like almonds can stall weight loss. They are too high in PUFAs, some have phytic acid, and they have a lot of carbs too, not to mention, a lot of them have mould.

For optimal weight loss you should not have more than 1 portion of fruits a day, and you could even fully skip fruits and stick only to dark leafy greens and cruciferous veggies.

Dairy is definitely something to watch out, as most people is very sensitive to it, and the whey protein powder is definitely not real food and completely unnecessary, I think that's a big point in the diet you describe.
              I could cut out nuts quite easily, but I'm worried about cutting out fruit because after a couple of days with only carbs from vegetables I get really tired and cranky.. at the weekends or on my days off work I can do it quite easily, but on work days I seem to get more tired and hungry without any carbs. I did really well cutting out fruit and dairy for a week or 2 in terms of weight loss, but I got heart palpitations (?!) which freaked me out. I was also worried that being in ketosis for too long might damage my thyroid, because I have hypothyroidism in my family.

Would it be better to have something like an omelette with vegetables for breakfast?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
                I disagree with the limitation of fruit but I agree with the condemnation of nuts.

Also, gelatin is good.
                Gelatin as in jelly?
                The little squishy cubes you pour boiling water on?

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  Ditch the "breakfast". Either that or eat a real meal for breakfast.

Consider going dairy free may also be an option.

Start exercising! It really will help with energy, mood, and setting you up to be a better fat burner hormonally.
                  I thought it would be a good breakfast because it has a lot of fat and protein *facepalm*

I'll try dairy free and see how that goes.

And I am going to look into a gym nearby, I've been putting it off for ages.. now is the time I think

Comment

Gelatin as in jelly?
                    The little squishy cubes you pour boiling water on?
                    Yes.
                    The protein in muscle is considered "complete" protein and is ideal for children, but not adults. Adults need a mix of complete protein and that found in connective tissue. Tendon and chicken feet are both good sources of connective tissue. Gelatin is protein from connective tissue.

Comment

Well you're definitely overeating calories if you're overweight. Are you eating only when you are hungry and stopping when you are full? Remember that this is not an all-you-can-eat plan. I find that stopping before I feel full is important if I want to lose weight. That means stopping right when you feel no longer hungry but before you feel full. This can be hard at first but I find that it truly does lead to sustainable, slow weight loss.
                      My food philosophy is whole foods, simply and traditionally prepared. Food should honor your taste, health, and the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
                        Yes.
                        The protein in muscle is considered "complete" protein and is ideal for children, but not adults. Adults need a mix of complete protein and that found in connective tissue. Tendon and chicken feet are both good sources of connective tissue. Gelatin is protein from connective tissue.
                        Okay, thanks, I'll look into buying some. How are you meant to eat it? As I guess the sugary supermarket ones are off limits

Comment

You can buy gelatin powder and mix it with water. Alternatively, you can buy beef tendon and slow-cook it, which is what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nourished View Post
                            Well you're definitely overeating calories if you're overweight. Are you eating only when you are hungry and stopping when you are full? Remember that this is not an all-you-can-eat plan. I find that stopping before I feel full is important if I want to lose weight. That means stopping right when you feel no longer hungry but before you feel full. This can be hard at first but I find that it truly does lead to sustainable, slow weight loss.
                            No I'm not, I've been losing weight for the past 5 months but haven't seen much progress recently. I usually eat between 1100 and 1700 cals per day, usually around 1500.
                            I think that because I used to not eat meals and just snack every few hours I still have the urge to snack even when I'm not really hungry, so I've been trying to drink tea or water instead.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X