Ad Widget

Collapse

Best choice at Asian/sushi restaurant? Soy sauce vs rice?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best choice at Asian/sushi restaurant? Soy sauce vs rice?

At an Asian restaurant, is it better to order:

A meat dish that likely has soy sauce (with wheat/gluten)
    or a sushi roll with white rice?

Which is worse, the gluten in the soy sauce or the glycemic effect of the white rice?

The soy sauce is harmful if you buy into the wheat sucks thing (I do). The white rice is benign (unless they use some kind of commercial mayo/seed oil to make it sticky). Most of the decent sushi places by me have real tamari sauce if you ask for it, which is gluten free and only contains fermented soy, which should be fine on occasion.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I'm okay with (legit) soy sauce--the original peptides are thoroughly picked apart into single aminos during fermentation, though I still buy wheat-free for home use since it tastes better. Note: in a cheaper place the sauce may be non-fermented La Choy MSG nonsense.

Cooled rice is lower GI, though a sushi roll is a black box of mayonnaise, sweeteners, and deep fried bits so I stick with the nigiri types.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Most Chinese food with soy sauce is also saturated with soy oil.

Solution: bring your own gluten-free soy sauce and order sashimi with plain white rice. Or get the steamed shirmp with broccoli, hold the sauce.

Comment

I eat sushi about once a week with rice and regular soy sauce. The soy (wheat) sauce is not ideal, but I treat the rice as a carb refeed. Dave Asprey (bulletproof executive) recommends putting MCT oil on sushi, but obviously you'd have to bring your own. I guess you could also bring your own what free tamari soy sauce.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
              Most Chinese food with soy sauce is also saturated with soy oil.

Solution: bring your own gluten-free soy sauce and order sashimi with plain white rice. Or get the steamed shirmp with broccoli, hold the sauce.
              I do that too. A big plate of sashimi and my gluten free tamari. Sushi is not a guilty pleasure any more . .

Comment

Sashimi for the WIN!

Quality raw fish, RS in the cooled rice, quality organic soy sauce.

I have a good quality Sushi place in the first floor of my condo building. Needless to say I am on a first name basis with the owners!
                What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  The soy sauce is harmful if you buy into the wheat sucks thing (I do). The white rice is benign (unless they use some kind of commercial mayo/seed oil to make it sticky). Most of the decent sushi places by me have real tamari sauce if you ask for it, which is gluten free and only contains fermented soy, which should be fine on occasion.
                  Soy sauce has so little wheat in it, that unless you are celiac it ain't going to make a difference.
                  http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                    Soy sauce has so little wheat in it, that unless you are celiac it ain't going to make a difference.
                    You know for a fact that people who are non-celiac gluten intolerant don't react to soy sauce? How do you know that to be true?

Comment

Best choice at Asian/sushi restaurant? Soy sauce vs rice?

I would get the sushi, but a lot of places put seed oil in the sushi. I just pick sushi because it's yummy and I tend to not want to make my own sushi at home, but I grew up making stir fries.

Also, seaweed...carrageenan...
                      JOURNAL..
                      @BabesWithBBQ.
                      Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                      Professional Style Website.
                      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
                        I would get the sushi, but a lot of places put seed oil in the sushi. I just pick sushi because it's yummy and I tend to not want to make my own sushi at home, but I grew up making stir fries.

Also, seaweed...carrageenan...
                        My boyfriend orders the sushi with spicy mayo in spite of the fact that it may mean we have to rush home afterwards...

Comment

If you're not super-sensitive to gluten, I wouldn't worry about the little bit of wheat in the soy sauce.
                          Sushi has a lot of carbs, so if you're watching your carb intake for some reason obviously not the best choice. If you aren't though, go for the sushi roll but avoid mayo, "spicy" tuna, and fried tempura rolls. Just FYI, sometimes the rice vinegar used to season the sushi rice has sugar or HFCS , so a safer choice might also be chirashisushi, which is unseasoned white rice topped with sashimi. I find that the better the restaurant, the better ingredients they use. Some places even offer gluten-free sushi rolls.But jw, don't you dip your sushi in soy sauce anyway?

Also, there's nothing wrong with seaweed.
                          Last edited by Alfi56; 05-24-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            You know for a fact that people who are non-celiac gluten intolerant don't react to soy sauce? How do you know that to be true?
                            I don't react to it, but I buy the wheat free stuff to use at home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

TBH 80/20.
                              if you are celiac or gluten sensitive bring your own or avoid...otherwise the amounts you are talking about are not worth the discussion....
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X