No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo and corn

Hello all,
    I've been loosely following a more Paleo lifestyle since January...no grains, no dairy (stomach ache yuk), limited sugars, lots of meat and veggies, bone broth, leafy greens, and eggs. I do drink wine and put chemical-laden, stupid sugary creamer in my coffee; you only live once, and these little vices make me happy. Whatever.

I do not care much for potatoes, and I stay away from most of the Paleo-ified goodies (almond flour cookies, coconut flour pancakes, etc.) I do not do well with rice or soy, so even though I work at a sushi place, rarely touch those either. I never ate very poorly, but my diet is certainly cleaner than it was and I feel healthy and good.

My question is - if we are supposed to nourish ourselves with a diet that nature intended our bodies to process, would it be so bad to consume corn? When I've had cornmeal or corn by itself, I've not had any digestive issues and I find that it's filling and gives me energy. I'm Native American and experience common allergies for my background...lactose, alcohol sensitivity, etc. So even though corn isn't technically "Paleo", would a little every now and again be so bad, considering it's a huge part of my ancestral nutritional profile? Since cutting beans and all grains from my diet, I do feel much better...but I metabolize protein and veggies so fast, and sometimes feel like I need something that will fuel me for longer.

Any thoughts?

I eat corn on the cob once in a while. I don't think it's that nutrition-filled, but I don't really think it's toxic either.
    JOURNAL..
    @BabesWithBBQ.
    Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
    Professional Style Website.
    #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

i have a few ears of local native corn when it's in season here. not dead yet. basically it's a crunchy vehicle for salt and butter.

i use non-gmo organic cornmeal sometimes too -- like for polenta, or tonight i made artichoke/anchovy fritters with it.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Corn does not agree with me, and I go out of my way to avoid it. But if you do not react to it, go ahead.

Comment

I eat some organic corn tortillas and some corn when it's in season during the summer. Right now, I'm struggling with my blood sugar so I have to go very easy on the carbs, otherwise I'd eat tortillas several times per week.

Your ancestry is important. I say to go for it.

I'm surprised that white rice would be a problem. Soy, yes. Avoid like the plague.
          Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

I would stick to organic corn if you can. GMO's are scary and certainly not the same corn your ancestors enjoyed!
            Ellie
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread106642.html

Comment

Originally posted by cegillihan View Post
              I metabolize protein and veggies so fast, and sometimes feel like I need something that will fuel me for longer.
              Nothing wrong with adding moderate carbohydrate. I'd also try some tubers and starchy fruits since we know they have a low toxin load after cooking. IIRC most pre-Columbian corn was alkalized into hominy or masa for the purpose of removing molds? Not to foster paranoia but immediate digestion doesn't always tell the whole story so pay attention to energy and mood as you experiment.

If you're in the US I would still avoid the "corn" ingredients seen in processed foods--just too many unanswered questions.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Corn is a grain. Having said that if it is not GMO and you want some, and it does not bother you, and you are not really paleo...why would you care?
                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Having said that I still remember years ago when I was in like grade 4 or 5 wondering a friend wondered why he could see corn in his poop...of course now we all now it is low nutrition, high glucose, partially undigested grain but back then....
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

Corn is delicious and reasonably nutritious. I eat it when it is fresh only these days.

Many Native American cultures used it a large portion of their diets. But they realized that the nutritional value was limited if it was not treated properly:

Nixtamalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other downside to corn is that it has been highly modified genetically in the last 50 years.

So - for me - only when fresh and in season. During which time I might have it as much as two or three times a week. (I grew up in Illinois ).

As a year round food source I think it's suspect.
                    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

I find as well that corn under a certain amount does not cause me problems. I love my pop corn and corn chips occasionally and good corn tortillas are a carb staple along with rice in this house. If I eat too much I get mucho farts.

Also keep in mind that the corn your ancestors grew and ate is not what is commonly called corn today. If you can find and grow heritage versions of the three sisters and none of them make you feel bad to eat then I say honor your heritage and your ancestors and the gifts that the spirits of the land gave you.

If you find that basic meat and veg is insufficient then how much fat are you eating? For that matter how much food are you eating? Before you crank up the carbs to fill you up, make sure you are getting enough calories in general from real nutrient dense foods and also make sure that 50% or more of your calories are from fats.

Unfortunately there is no real way for us to tell you how much of what to eat, you have to experiment see what works and what doesn't. What are your goals? what do you want out of this ride we call life? Orient your diet to achieve those goals.
                      Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Corn products, no. Just corn on its own? Eeehhhhh. If you feel ok on it then I don't see why not. I like sweet corn when it's in season, Olathe sweet corn from Colorado is the best. I'm still partial to pop corn done on the stove top with a little coconut oil and salt as a snack. I recently added it back in and haven't had problems with it.

Sent from....right behind you....
                        You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

Comment

Originally posted by CaveBug View Post
                          Corn products, no. Just corn on its own? Eeehhhhh. If you feel ok on it then I don't see why not. I like sweet corn when it's in season, Olathe sweet corn from Colorado is the best. I'm still partial to pop corn done on the stove top with a little coconut oil and salt as a snack. I recently added it back in and haven't had problems with it.

Sent from....right behind you....
                          Me too! I love sweet corn and find it a useful filler. I'm not low carb (more perfect health diet than primal) and can't see any reason not to eat foods just for energy as long as they don't cause me any problems and I feel nutritionally replete. I generally go by instinct with these things and my instinct tells me gluten grains, no, sweet corn ok!

Comment

Interestingly, many super sweet corn varieties are unintended results of exposing corn to radiation during nuclear tests in the 1940s.
                            https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

Originally posted by ekba09 View Post
                              Interestingly, many super sweet corn varieties are unintended results of exposing corn to radiation during nuclear tests in the 1940s.
                              myth.

New York Times says Breeding
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                              X