Ad Widget

Collapse

When people say they cant live without carbs, or they NEED carbs...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When people say they cant live without carbs, or they NEED carbs...

If you need them THAT bad, cant you just replace the grain based carbs with veggies? I mean hell, eat as many as you want. Dont you agree??

• Meadow
    replied
    I have really become interested in the concept of exorphins in grains and other foods lately. I am newer to the primal discussion, so this may be old news....but the fact that chemicals in grains, milks, and other products might be triggering our opioid receptors could explain both the rise of agriculture and why people find these foods so addictive. Heck, it starts to explain a lot of the things I have struggled with in particular.......

Here is a quote from one article
    "Groups led by Zioudrou (1979) and Brantl (1979) found opioid activity in wheat, maize and barley (exorphins), and bovine and human milk (casomorphin), as well as stimulatory activity in these proteins, and in oats, rye and soy."......

"Since then, researchers have measured the potency of exorphins, showing them to be comparable to morphine and enkephalin (Heubner et al. 1984), determined their amino acid sequences (Fukudome &Yoshikawa 1992), and shown that they are absorbed from the intestine (Svedburg et al.1985) and can produce effects such as analgesia and reduction of anxiety which are usually associated with poppy-derived opioids (Greksch et al.1981, Panksepp et al.1984)."

The full article found here

I also second the 'lead by example' theory. I talk less and less about my diet to those that do not believe, but instead try and use it as energy to fuel my changes so that I can SHOW them what is possible.

Leave a comment:

• Griff
    replied
    Originally posted by fyrespryte View Post
    This isn't just about changing your diet, it's about changing your entire paradigm.
    Another sig-line worthy quote. Hell to the yes.

Leave a comment:

• TheGrappler
    replied
    Originally posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    Grains are very engrained (pun intended) in our society. Whenever I pass up bread or pasta when I am out with friends or colleagues, I am always on the defensive. It is up to me to provide the burden of proof that carbs are not essential when the assumption in modern society is that carbs are necessary. As someone pointed out earlier, there is no essential carb. Its the only macronutrient we can make in our bodies. Just because certain cells require glucose to function does not mean that we have to ingest an excessive amount of it in our diet.

Besides, you can enjoy bacon in its pure form without any condiments. It is rare to see anyone eating pasta without a massive amount of sauce to provide flavor. Its pretty much flavorless and not very appetizing in its original state. Why not just eat the sauce with a spoon instead?
    Let's get so ripped, that our rejection of carbs speaks for itself.

Leave a comment:

• Daemonized
    replied
    I really don't think that carbs are truly needed at all. There is a slight case if you're doing some kind of extreme endurance training then maybe you might do better with them.

Leave a comment:

• cerebelumsdayoff
    replied
    Grains are very engrained (pun intended) in our society. Whenever I pass up bread or pasta when I am out with friends or colleagues, I am always on the defensive. It is up to me to provide the burden of proof that carbs are not essential when the assumption in modern society is that carbs are necessary. As someone pointed out earlier, there is no essential carb. Its the only macronutrient we can make in our bodies. Just because certain cells require glucose to function does not mean that we have to ingest an excessive amount of it in our diet.

Besides, you can enjoy bacon in its pure form without any condiments. It is rare to see anyone eating pasta without a massive amount of sauce to provide flavor. Its pretty much flavorless and not very appetizing in its original state. Why not just eat the sauce with a spoon instead?

Leave a comment:

• TheGrappler
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
    I agree completely. Convenience is a key factor.
    Originally posted by batty View Post
    oh lordy. my coworker's lunch usually consists of a couple of AMP energy drinks and a couple of candy bars from the snack machine. but yet, he makes fun of me daily for eating bacon, pulling the "enjoy your heart attack!!!" card.

re: the OP: i think a lot of "needing" them is psychological dependence. they are obviously incredibly addictive. which, of course, would be remedied if they'd exert a little willpower, but sadly some people cannot.
    Will power, another key factor =P

Leave a comment:

• TheGrappler
    replied
    Originally posted by Leanne View Post
    I think the problem is that grains are convenient. Pasta is quick and easy and requires little culinary skill. Bread and bagels take no prep work. Grain items last loner. You can buy a bag of dried pasta and a jar of tomato sauce and leave them in your cupboard for a year. Veggies and fruit spoil if you don't eat them within a week or so, meaning you have to shop frequently and actually chop and prep and cook and *gasp* plan out your meals! The reason society became so dependant on wheat and grains in the first place was because they were a food that could be stored for long periods of time and also it traveled well. In today's world time and energy play a huge part in what we eat. It is quick and easy to pop a bagel in the toaster, or microwave a frozen pizza. I find the people who have the hardest time giving up grains are the type who eat on the go a lot (pastries from coffee shops, muffins etc that can be eaten on the drive into work). Plus grains are cheap! A bag of pasta or loaf of bread are extremely inexpensive next to a steak from grass raised beef. Most people who prefer eggs and bacon over a bowl of cereal, but don't want to have to get up to cook it and clean the frying pan before heading to work when corn flakes just pour out of a box and are ready in an instant.
    I agree completely. Convenience is a key factor.

Leave a comment:

• TheGrappler
    replied
    Originally posted by avocado View Post
    No. I totally know how they're feeling. Vegetable are not even close to the same eating experience as grains. We all know why we eat healthie. We all know our tastes can change. But what's the point in pretending it tastes the same to someone who hasn't had that change in their taste yet?
    I was referring to the NEED, not the want, of carbs. Hey, i used to love my pasta, but if i felt i NEEDED the carbs from them, what's the difference between me getting them from pasta or veggies. I think we all know the difference between fettuccine and broccoli, nutrition wise.

The difference is the NEED for carbs that people talk, not the WANT.

Leave a comment:

• batty
    replied
    Originally posted by thehallowprince View Post
    I hear this all the time and all I say is "yeah well, being thin and eating bacon is a lot better than being fat and eating bread..."
    oh lordy. my coworker's lunch usually consists of a couple of AMP energy drinks and a couple of candy bars from the snack machine. but yet, he makes fun of me daily for eating bacon, pulling the "enjoy your heart attack!!!" card.

re: the OP: i think a lot of "needing" them is psychological dependence. they are obviously incredibly addictive. which, of course, would be remedied if they'd exert a little willpower, but sadly some people cannot.

Leave a comment:

• robmedina
    replied
    Originally posted by frankocean View Post
    try being mexican and saying no to beans, rice and tortillas...

Slaugther him!!!, kill him with fireee!!!!, a demon lives in him!!..

And that's just my mom.
    lol!

Leave a comment:

• QoD
    replied
    I sometimes have an absolute urgent craving for carbs - but I know now what follows so try to restrain myself. Inevitably a carb meal will be followed by an intense craving for sweets. If I don't eat carbs at all I can go for weeks without cakes and chocolate, but 1 meal containing carbs (i.e. rice with curry) is enough to sent me off to binge on cake and a whole bar or two of chocolate!

Best for me to stay away from it.

Leave a comment:

• Jokaman70
    replied
    Anyone here who doesn't understand that sentiment was never a food junkie like I was (and many millions of others). They don't mean "can't live" as in survival, but more in that they can't imagine their lives without many of the foods they've grown to love and find comfort in.

My roommate lives on Little Debbie snack cakes and Mountain Dew...I mean that quite literally, and he sports a 6-pack! *I understand that there is likely a deeper damage, beyond aesthetics.* Believe me, if I could get away with it I would too. *Again, if it wouldn't affect me inside or outside.*

Pizza, rice, pasta, ice cream, potatoes (potatoes will be reincorporated shortly), etc...5 months in and I still think about you daily!

Leave a comment:

• fyrespryte
    replied
    I think for a lot of people it *is* impossible for them to conceive of a life without grains. Before going primal, most of my favorite foods were made with grains. When I first started this, I looked at one of the threads here talking about people's cheats. There were many here who talked about their cheat foods, often things with grains in them, and how they felt after they ate them and all I could think was...not only can I not have pizza on this diet, but now it looks like I'm going to become intolerant to grains and won't be able to enjoy it even if I use it as part of my 20%? This isn't just about changing your diet, it's about changing your entire paradigm. Many of us were probably in a place (poor health, overweight, more libertarian minded) where that change wasn't so hard...but really, we're asking others to accept something that they won't be able to understand until they experience it.

Today, a little more than two months in, the thought of pizza is totally unappetizing to me. Pizza has been my all time favorite food for YEARS. If you'd told me when I started that I would lose my taste for it, I never would have believed you.

Leave a comment:

• Leanne
    replied
    I think the problem is that grains are convenient. Pasta is quick and easy and requires little culinary skill. Bread and bagels take no prep work. Grain items last loner. You can buy a bag of dried pasta and a jar of tomato sauce and leave them in your cupboard for a year. Veggies and fruit spoil if you don't eat them within a week or so, meaning you have to shop frequently and actually chop and prep and cook and *gasp* plan out your meals! The reason society became so dependant on wheat and grains in the first place was because they were a food that could be stored for long periods of time and also it traveled well. In today's world time and energy play a huge part in what we eat. It is quick and easy to pop a bagel in the toaster, or microwave a frozen pizza. I find the people who have the hardest time giving up grains are the type who eat on the go a lot (pastries from coffee shops, muffins etc that can be eaten on the drive into work). Plus grains are cheap! A bag of pasta or loaf of bread are extremely inexpensive next to a steak from grass raised beef. Most people who prefer eggs and bacon over a bowl of cereal, but don't want to have to get up to cook it and clean the frying pan before heading to work when corn flakes just pour out of a box and are ready in an instant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X