No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War on Fat

Hi guys,

I did a search to see if there's been any discussion on the Time article from last month entitled "The War of Fat" and couldn't find anything. The whole thing really got me thinking and after some digging around I wrote a fictional Government report inspired by the time piece.

Time article- Fat Is Good for You - TIME

Time article full text- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20on%20Fat.pdf

Blog piece- Get Lean Stay Lean: The Experiment is Over

What do people think? Is this reporting helpful or will it just encourage people to use it as an excuse to eat poor quality food with high fat content? Do you think one day a report like the one I've written will ever be released? Any thoughts appreciated.

Adi

I think people already eat poor quality food with high fat content. I think it's a myth that Americans were ever "low-fat", we were just low saturated fat and high PUFA + trans fat. I don't think much will change; restaurants and big food manufacturers aren't going to start using better quality fats as its profit prohibitive, but most people wouldn't know the difference anyway, they'll just feel less guilty eating chicken wings fried in soybean oil now.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
      I think it's a myth that Americans were ever "low-fat"
      Ya, OP link mentions this. If government = industry they're not really interested in decreasing consumption of anything.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        I think people already eat poor quality food with high fat content. I think it's a myth that Americans were ever "low-fat", we were just low saturated fat and high PUFA + trans fat. I don't think much will change; restaurants and big food manufacturers aren't going to start using better quality fats as its profit prohibitive, but most people wouldn't know the difference anyway, they'll just feel less guilty eating chicken wings fried in soybean oil now.
        I agree with you completely.

M.

Comment

Yeah I can see where you're coming from j3nn. As ever, I guess it boils down to educating people and then the people influencing food producers by "voting with their dollars".

Comment

The problem isn't fat vs. carbs vs. sugars. It's that people eat crazy ass processed fake food. Damn, look at the McDonalds that never decomposes.... or WalMart ice cream sandwiches that do not melt. Just eat real food. Meat, eggs, dairy, fruit, veggies, butter, hell, even grains if you tolerate gluten.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

When I was a kid in the 70s and the low-fat thing was starting to emerge, snack foods were not high in pufa. They were mainly made with coconut oil or palm oil. Suddenly these tropical oils became the devil as they were full of saturated fat. They were replaced with hydrogenated vegetable oil. We were thinner in the 70s when our cheeze-its were made with coconut oil.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                When I was a kid in the 70s and the low-fat thing was starting to emerge, snack foods were not high in pufa. They were mainly made with coconut oil or palm oil. Suddenly these tropical oils became the devil as they were full of saturated fat. They were replaced with hydrogenated vegetable oil. We were thinner in the 70s when our cheeze-its were made with coconut oil.
                You were probably a lot more active than kids today and you likely spent a lot more time outside too.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                  The problem isn't fat vs. carbs vs. sugars. It's that people eat crazy ass processed fake food. Damn, look at the McDonalds that never decomposes.... or WalMart ice cream sandwiches that do not melt. Just eat real food. Meat, eggs, dairy, fruit, veggies, butter, hell, even grains if you tolerate gluten.
                  Yes! Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Working...
                  X