Ad Widget

Collapse

Artificial sweeteners linked to glucose intolerance (gut bacteria)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial sweeteners linked to glucose intolerance (gut bacteria)

Artificial sweeteners linked to glucose intolerance - health - 17 September 2014 - New Scientist
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I've been seeing this around. I've read some of the articles. 7 ppl isn't a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivor0us View Post
      I've been seeing this around. I've read some of the articles. 7 ppl isn't a lot
      No, it's not, but half of them having such dramatic changes is a big deal, IMO.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        No, it's not, but half of them having such dramatic changes is a big deal, IMO.
        I can see where you're coming from but the sample size is just too tiny for me to extrapolate from this

Comment

After drinking large amounts of diet coke and abusing artificial sweeteners for 40 years I still seem to be very glucose tolerant though! Drinking too much beer makes me fat and Diet Coke not, but that just my unscientific n=1 observation...
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivor0us View Post
            I can see where you're coming from but the sample size is just too tiny for me to extrapolate from this
            Just another reminder to keep our gut bugs happy and healthy!

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
              Just another reminder to keep our gut bugs happy and healthy!
              Yarrr matey

Comment

If there's one thing that messes up my digestion good, it's artificial sweeteners. I tried a couple of Gorbag's coke zeros once. It was 3 days before things were normal again. He seems to do ok with them though, so it's another one of those sacred, unique snowflake of special, unique specialness kinds of deals.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  If there's one thing that messes up my digestion good, it's artificial sweeteners. I tried a couple of Gorbag's coke zeros once. It was 3 days before things were normal again. He seems to do ok with them though, so it's another one of those sacred, unique snowflake of special, unique specialness kinds of deals.
                  to be fair i did grow up eating the stuff so i reckon my tolerance is high to such things

Comment

Yeah, we were allowed to go through several liters of regular soda a day in my house, but prohibited from the diet stuff. My mom drank a ton but it was off-limits to me and my sibs.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Diet Coke from PEPSI can make me jittery, or maybe I just got too much caffeine from various sources the day I tried it...
                      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Sucralose does EVIL things to my stomach within minutes. IDK about aspartame other than it gives me a headache, but I'm definitely sensitive to artificial sweeteners, which can't be good for gut bugs if symptoms surface.

Comment

By day five, four of the seven people had a significant decrease in their glucose tolerance, while three saw no change. Sequencing showed that those who responded to the sweetener started out with different gut bacteria to those who didn't respond.
                          That seems to imply sweeteners aren't a main driving force, but an important aggravator. I'm looking forward to seeing more research on this. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I don't have time to read the link, but it doesn't surprise me that these "zero calorie" science-experiment foods don't work the way industry says.

One theory (presented in the new movie "Fed Up") is that the brain still tastes sugar, and the reward system still gets turned on saying "eat more until it is all gone!!", and insulin may get turned on as well. Which means you get fat and insulin resistant with time (decades) the same as with large amounts of real sugar.

Comment

Interesting, here's one quote:

Further experiments supported this conclusion. For example, when the researchers transferred the gut bacteria of mice who had consumed saccharin into mice whose guts were bacteria-free, it caused these previously healthy mice to become glucose intolerant. Similar transplants from mice drinking glucose-enriched water had no negative effects on health.

So what was going on? When the team analysed the gut bacteria present before and after the experiments, they saw an increase in several different types of bacteria in the mice that consumed sweeteners. Segal says these bacteria have already been linked with obesity in humans in previous studies

It sounds like the artificial sweeteners are encouraging the growth of unfavorable gut bugs. Taking probiotics should help mitigate that, though obviously not eating the saccharin, etc. is best. I do use a cough drop with sucralose at night...probably too small an amount to be an issue.
                              Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X