Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pass my life insurance exam

So CW sucks. As far as primal/paleo health goes my lipid panel looks good. However I need to purchase some life insurance and they have me as standard and not preferred. I'm going to go on a low saturated fat diet for 30 days and re apply. I know for the most part I'll be eating chicken, salmon, veggies, eggs(mostly egg whites). I need help with other paleo foods that are high fat but low in saturated fat. Please help as I'm starting tomorrow. I'm so bummed to not have butter, coconut and bacon etc for the next 30 days. Are nuts, avacado ok?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Horrible idea.
    What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

That was helpful

Comment

Well:
        High fat is bad.
        Unsaturated fats are bad.
        =>Horrible idea.

If you want to go law saturated fats just go low fat in general.
        What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

How will "they" know what you eat exactly?

I think you have two options if you need to cut back on SFA. If it's only the SFA that they care about, then eat a high fat diet but make your fats unsaturated. MUFA preferred over PUFA. Olives and Avocados (and their oils) are mostly MUFA. If you're going to do nuts, the best ones are probably macadamia and hazelnuts/filberts.

Another route is to go low fat and get your energy from carbohydrate - potatoes, root vegetables, fruit or white/parboiled rice.

Best wishes.

Comment

Oatmeal supposedly does have real effects on cholesterol.

M.

Comment

Just to be clear, are you going for another lipid panel? If so, what are your numbers and what will bring you in the "preferred" plan?
              I created PaleoTrack - A Food Journal Designed for The Primal Blueprint

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                Oatmeal supposedly does have real effects on cholesterol.
                M.
                True...my TC was around 150 on a whole-foods low-fat vegan diet of whole grains, beans, green and yellow veg with no added fats or animal products. Included a big bowl of steel-cut oats, eaten plain, every day. On Primal at last check (a year ago) TC was 244 with outstanding ratios, HDL etc.

Good luck garod82, I think in 30 days you could likely make a difference in your bloodwork but you will have to be very strict with your intake. Keep fruits and sugars at an absolute minimum as these can elevate your triglycerides. Not sure how fast dietary changes will affect your labs.
                Last edited by bilbo2; 09-29-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

If you still want to eat high fat and lower your cholesterol, your best bet is to make your primary fat sources things like olive oil (or fresh olives), fresh nuts and seeds, avocados and salmon. As always, eat lots of fiber from vegetables, and you can still have a bowl of oatmeal every day and be low carb. Just don't load it up with dairy. That shoyld lower cholesterol if you're coming more from a beef and dairy kind of diet.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you TacotheTim,

Yes to be clear I want to stay high fat without high sat fat. It looks like a Mediterranean diet is the style I need to go for.

Comment

EV olive oil FTW!

Just be sure to get a brand that is unadulterated with other oils. There is a scandal of olive oil manufacturers adding cheaper oils to lower costs.
                      I moved to primalforums.com to escape the spam.

Comment

I know this reply is well after the fact, but perhaps it will help similar situations in the future. There are a few ways to go about this.

1. It looks like you're opting for the medical exam. This is the most common route when buying life insurance, however not all companies will look at your cholesterol the same. Make sure you're using an independent agent (not a captive agent) that has access to many companies. If you have an idea of your numbers, your agent can find the companies that will look at your most favorably.

2. Non Medical Exam life insurance. If there is no way that you can secure "Preferred" rates with a medical exam, you might be able to get "Preferred" rates with a Non Med policy. Non Med is typically more expensive than a medical exam policy. However, a "Preferred" non med might be less than a "Standard" medical exam policy.

Again, you agent should be researching all of these options for you and presenting them for you to compare and choose.

Comment

The only thing helpful I have is to ditch any coconut products until after the exam, as it can raise cholesterol a bit. When my NP wanted to give meds, I told her that I could easily lower my cholesterol by avoiding coconut oil, but that it wasn't worth it to me (because I genuinely believe that coconut oil helps brain function), so no thanx on the meds.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                          X