Ad Widget

Collapse

By the numbers. Looking for weight loss.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the numbers. Looking for weight loss.

I did a no gluten, no caffeine, no sugar, no alcohol and no dairy gut cleanse for 28 days and felt great at the end of it. Lost about 15 pounds. So that was done, but I wanted to lose more weight and came across the Primal Blueprint. Sounded great and I've been doing Primal for about 2 weeks now, but the weight is holding steady. I'm exercising, eating natural organic meats and vegetables, snacking on nuts, seeds and hard boiled eggs, but I really wasn't looking at the numbers. I have a protein shake in the morning that I add to and by the time I got done adding up the numbers, it came to a total of 31 carbs! And that's just breakfast! Plus all the nuts and seeds. Just one ounce of macadamia nuts is 4 carbs. One ounce is 8 nuts! I was eating a lot more than that. I've looked at all the other numbers of the things I've been eating and I now feel that I can keep my carbs below the 50 mark and get on that fat burning beast train! Question is can I go overboard? Is it ok to eat less than 50 carbs for many days in a row? I'm eating protein. Calories around 1400 ok?

Don't fear carbs. But avoid nuts and protein powder.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

if you go < 50g carbs then do refeeds every 4 to 6 days or so. for refeeds chow down on sweet potatoes, berries, some do white rice, etc. I do this cycle pretty routinely, sometimes get into ketosis, sometime hang out on the edge.

1400 calories? sounds low, but we'd need your height/weight/age/activity level to gauge

Comment

Mark actually reccomends NOT doing carb re-feeds if you have significant weight to lose
        "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

I disagree with Mark on multiple issues.
          My opinions and some justification

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerfaced View Post
            Mark actually reccomends NOT doing carb re-feeds if you have significant weight to lose
            Can Carb Refeeds Boost Stalled Weight Loss? | Mark's Daily Apple

he says they can help with weight loss here reset leptin levels, etc, but doesn't recommend them for the severely obese.

Comment

Well, I'm 6'3", 62 years old and hovering at around 260 right now. I've lost 30 pounds since last December. I don't know if 225 is realistic by this time next year, but that would be nice. Feeling great, can't wait for ketosis to set in! I haven't eaten a potato in such a long time. Funny thing is I'm a chef in my own restaurant and its remarkable all the food that I'm not eating! Crazy!

Comment

Calories are more important than carbs for weight loss. Some people find low carbs a simple way to keep calories down, but it's not for everyone and it's certainly not a requirement for weight loss.

Also ditch the shake for "real" food - something solid is more likely to keep you fuller for longer.

Comment

Ditch the snacking and try for 3 (2 is even better) well balanced meals /day.

Comment

Harry, welcome from another +60 Primal Guy. I have had really good results doing the basic Primal program that you can review on the PB 101 page. You've had good success so far, give "straight primal" some time and see what happens. The key item is that Primal is a lifestyle, not just a diet, and you need to move into it with the idea that it will be what you do for the indefinite future. For what it's worth, I never tracked carbs/calories/protein grams. I just tried to eat the right foods, eat when hungry, stop when not hungry, regular exercise. It all clicked, I went down nearly 60 lbs over my first year, and have been stable since then. I agree with Elliott on his nuts position, I find that when I pudge up, it is usually associated with having our jar of nuts in the kitchen being well stocked. I find it hard to walk past it and not grab a handful.

I don't know how you can be a chef though and make any kind of program like Primal work. I don't think I'd have the willpower to stick to Primal if I was prepping food all day. I'm way, way too much a foodaholic to be working with food all day and not stealing too many odd bites. If you are able to make it work, you have my deepest respect.
                    Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                    My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

No snacking, no ketosis. Just do the basic 75-150g carbs a day primal program. Lift some heavy things, sprint once in a while, get some sunshine every day (Vitamin D), play and connect with real human beings. That's the primal blueprint. It's not ketosis and snacking on nuts. And you don't need protein supplements unless you are on a strength training program of progressive overload and can't get enough protein from food.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

1400 calories seems low for a guy of 6'3".
                        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Thanks for the help and encouragement. And it is hard being a chef and not tasting everything at least 2 or 3 times! But that's what got me in to this and I am determined to lose weight. So no more nibbling! What makes it nice is I have lots of primal eats available! Thanks again.

Comment

How come no ketosis? I'm looking for weight loss. Under 50 carbs is no problem. I'm not looking to maintain my weight, which is what 150g of carb will do. Protein shakes are gone. I was using them when I was on the Clean Gut program by Dr. Junger. So no protein shake today. Had Steak and Eggs! Why would I want a protein shake when I can have steak and eggs?! And I'm doing all that other stuff, sprints, lifting, walking, hiking, playing, swimming, sunshine, etc. But why no ketosis? I'm seeing a little movement on the scale, so I'm excited about the under 50 carbs thing.

Comment

The guy who started the topic is trying the Primal Blueprint and the Primal Blueprint doesn't require ketosis. It offers it as something you can try but it really isn't necessary to restore a person to health and help a person lose weight. 150g of carbohydrate is not some magic weightloss stopper, either. Especially if you are an active person which you will be if you follow all of the Primal Blueprint.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X