Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hitting macros on IF/ paleo

Alright, I know this might sound a bit strange, but I would really need some advice on this.

Here's the thing.. I am trying to loose some weight/fat for a long time now. I am doing IF for more than 1/2 a year now.. I don't seem to get any results from that. (although people claim to shed fat pretty easily on IF)
    I guess I am an endomorph naturally, so I can just manage to control not gaining weight. But can't seem to drop anything at all.
    Finally, I have decided to track my macros exactly and count my calorie needs. What I have found was kind of surprising (it will get even more shocking later on :P )

I am 20 yo male, roughly 180 cm and 67 kg weight. To be in a caloric deficit I am supposed to hit around 1700 kcal a day. (Note that I am not going to the gym right now).
    I have also decided to get on a strict paleo diet, for at least 2 weeks (the reason behind this is not necessarily fat loss, but determining and eliminating my food sensitivities).

I am guessing it's not really 'popular' to count macros on a paleo diet. People just eat naturally based on their feeling and needs. But as I seem not to be able to loose any weight, I decided to track so I know exactly where I am at.

What I have found was kind of shocking. I simply cannot meet my calorie intake (which is pretty damn low anyway) nor my protein intake. I was trying to go for a 40p - 20c - 40f split, but I can't even meet a 1g / pound protein intake.

Here's exactly my food intake from yesterday (just for better reference and exact numbers).

Meal 1:

- coffee

- butter

- vanilla extract

- caynne pepper

Meal 2:

- bone broth

- 2 egg omelet

- tuna

- baked beans (don't hate me on this one, had one can left that I needed to get rid of :P)

- dark chocolate

Meal 3:

- 1 banana

- mixed berries

- kefir

- cinnamon

- beef protein

Meal 4

- 1 can sardines

Meal 5

- protein sludge with raisins and cinnamon

Meal 6

- bone broth

- steamed mixed veggies

- 2 grilled chicken drumsticks

Before bed
    - RS and gelatin

Calories: 1333
    Protein: 128 g
    Carbs: 88.4g
    Fat: 47.7g

Now, there must be something wrong here... even though I wasn't tracking my food before, I am sure I have always eaten in a similar way (without so much focus on protein) + trying to keep my carbs as low as possible. Even though I am not lifting right now, I try to get at least one HIIT session per week. Anyway, exercise (on the most basic level) is used when 'cutting' mainly for burning calories. With sh*tty 1300 kcals a day I don't feel like I need to burn any more.
    With a deficit this big, I was expecting to be cut to the bone :P

Basically, my 2 questions are..
    Why the hell I am not loosing weight, when I am low carb and more than 500kcal below my MBR most of the days.
    How the hell can I meet my desired protein intake? As you can see from the meal plan from yesterday, 40g came just from the powder supplement (which I rarely take) and I still have not met my goal.

Anyway, I am going to keep eating like this and tracking for 2 weeks and see what happens. If this doesn't help I might try going into ketosis.
    Thank you in advance for any tips, suggestions and answers you might have for me.

PS: 68kg might not seem a lot for a 20 year old guy. But it's just the genetics. I have always tended to be more of the 'skinny fat' guy.
    PS2: I do apologize for the lengthy post, but this is something that has bothered me lately quite a lot.
    It's not like I was eating pizza and ice cream and wondering why I am not loosing weight. I am trying every f*cking damn thing to be as healthy as possible and I still don't see any results :/

I'm confused. You talk about IF then you show us a day with 6 meals?

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
      (Note that I am not going to the gym right now).

I am trying every f*cking damn thing to be as healthy as possible and I still don't see any results :/
      Incompatible; does not compute.

Comment

180cm and 67kg ?? looks like a case of skinny fat!
        I am 173cm and 67kg myself! At your height you should aim a weight between say 77kg and 90kg.
        OK, so now, stop these 6 meal thing. Eat at most 2 big meals / day, and lift heavy shit a few times / week. Sprint as well and keep moving in between. Stop worrying about macros and shit, just eat!

Comment

I don't know how you are measuring, but it's entirely possible that you are counting wrong. Are you weighing it all? 1300 calories seems very little for all that supposing you are eating a normal portion of everything. I would say that if you don't feel tired and hungry from eating like that, you are counting wrong.

Anyway ignoring that, your diet doesn't look all that nutritious. Your best meal is the last one where you have meat and veggies, but even that's just chicken so it's not ideal.

If I were you I would focus on eating 2-3 proper meals a day. For each meal have a decent portion of protein (3-4 eggs, 150-250g meat or fish) and lots of vegetables. Depending on your goals and activity level you can include starchy vegetables and/or add more fats as you desire. Vary your meat - don't just eat chicken and tuna all the time.

Comment

Yes, my mistake.. it's not really 6 meals. (and the morning coffee doesn't really count as a meal anyway). I had a breakfast at around 12:30 and dinner. Those meals between were only kind of snacks if you want. I wouldn't normally have the protein.. I just wanted to see if I can hit my protein intake (which I am not).
            I am not actually weighing the food, but I am sure it's pretty accurate, as I am tracking mostly from the macros on the packaging. I do rotate my meat sources, it was just yesterday I had chicken.

MrAnthony, FrenchFry: I completely agree that going to the gym would be optimal.
            What you describe is exactly what I was trying to do before.. but obviously that didn't work for me (just move and eat).

I am sure fat loss can be achieved at least 70% from diet.

Comment

I am sure fat loss can be achieved at least 70% from diet.
              Ah! So you're after fat loss only ? Still, it seems like your body weight is too low. 180cm and 67kg ?? As I said I am 173cm and the same weight, and I don't look big or stuffed at all ...

But for fat loss, there are many tricks. One is to eat only potatoes and beans for 10 to 15 days. Do that and you'll see

Comment

well, I am not 100% sure.. haven't measured myself for more than 2 months now (I am studying outside my home, don't have a scale).
                I heard about the 'potato diet'.. wouldn't that be just a yo-yo? Gaining my weight back after I return to normal meals?

The only time I really lost significant weight was during my master cleanse a year ago (which I am not going to do ever again)... that was the only time I felt (and looked) good, walking around 8kg lighter. I had much better flexibility (doing calesthenic type workouts was much much easier). My clothes were fitting better. Just overall, felt better. But of course, after few days I was back to my previous 'chubby'.

So that's what I am trying to do. Get as lean as possible and then start from there, slowly gaining muscle again.

Comment

well, I am not 100% sure.. haven't measured myself for more than 2 months now (I am studying outside my home, don't have a scale).
                  I heard about the 'potato diet'.. wouldn't that be just a yo-yo? Gaining my weight back after I return to normal meals?

The only time I really lost significant weight was during my master cleanse a year ago (which I am not going to do ever again)... that was the only time I felt (and looked) good, walking around 8kg lighter. I had much better flexibility (doing calesthenic type workouts was much much easier). My clothes were fitting better. Just overall, felt better. But of course, after few days I was back to my previous 'chubby'.

So that's what I am trying to do. Get as lean as possible and then start from there, slowly gaining muscle again.
                  No don't do that!

If you aren't in the gym start a body weight program 3 times a week. Marks primal fitness book is free on this site. Getting super lean first is a mistake. You need a bit of fat on ya to sufficiently increase muscle mass. 15 plus percent is enough.

Next eat more eggs and meat.

Third rinse and repeat for at least 3 months before you assess your progress.

Oh...body weight work has progressions. Use them! Don't go off doing the easiest variations for 3 straight month. You must progress!

Comment

• Stop over complicating everything.
                    • Start eating real meat. Quality high protein sources.
                    • Start eating real portions.
                    • Start producing Testosterone by doing man things.

For example My standard day is as follows:

Meal 1
                    6 eggs
                    Butter
                    green tea

Meal 2
                    Nuts
                    (optional: fruit - for maintenance + bulk only)

Meal 3

250g meat
                    Veggies
                    butter

Meal 4
                    Nuts
                    (optional: fruit - for maintenance + bulk only)

Meal 5
                    250g meat
                    vegetables
                    butter

Calories: 1,700 - 2,000 (ranging on amount of butter and nuts)
                    Protein: 180g
                    Carbs: 40g
                    Fats: 120g

swap 1 nuts and fruit meal for Tuna in brine and that'll bump you to 200g protein and reduce fat to get in you 40/40/20 split - but yet again no calorie was created equal (what up broscience?)
                    Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world.

Comment

your diet looks very good snutts. Thanks for posting. I also agree on every point you made. I'd love to be going to the gym.. anyway..

With a slight adaptation to my circumstances, the diet would look like this:
                      - no 1st meal (because of IF)
                      - 2nd meal could be the eggs - but I would never manage to eat 6 eggs straight
                      I also noticed that the way eggs are prepared significantly changes the 'amount' and satiating effect.
                      For example, 2-3 egg omelet looks huge, but 2-3 scrambled eggs is almost nothing.

- I don't eat nuts. Simply because of the high price.
                      Now this significantly alters the macros, because they are low-volume food, but very nutritionally dense. Especially the fat will boost your caloric intake.

But yes, I guess I am over-complicating it a bit. But that's just me. When I do something, I need to have everything spot on.

Right now it's 4 pm (UK time) and I have just 300 calories in me (40g protein). Again, had a bone broth for lunch (breakfast) and a mixed greens salad (virtually no macro nutrient value) with some canned tuna and sardines. And I am fully satiated from the volume of the meal and the protein content.
                      There is no way I will get above 800-1000 kcal today.

Would it be beneficial to 'artificially' increase my calories with pure fats like butter and olive oil?

Comment

Do something! You aint gonna live well or feel well on 800-100 calories. Eat the eggs scrambled in butter man. 2 tablespoons of butter and at least 4 eggs (6 would be much better).

Can you say bacon? Goes good with the eggs.

Where the hell is the meat! Screw the tuna and sardines. Get a hunk of meat....fat ON bone IN. Should look something like this:

IMG00902-20110313-1314-300x225.jpg

Slow cook that sucker and DON NOT drain any of the fat. Eat that over the top of some root veggies for dinner.

Comment

It would be beneficial to boost your calories by just eating more food. You are not eating large quantities at all. If you TRULY are (I must say I think you are simply miscounting otherwise I'm sure you would feel the effects) only eating that small amount then you have probably completely killed you body's hunger signals through ignoring it for so long....try eating what adds up to a sensible amount whether or not you are hungry. Oh and maybe IF isn't right for you if it makes it so difficult for you to eat enough.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. Really appreciate that.

So I think I know where the problem lies.. looking on this sample menu, the salad without the avocados and oil (simply fat) also comes down to roughly 300kcal. My problem is not that I am consuming small amount of food (that's why I am not hungry). It's just that even a huge bowl of salad only has like 30 kcals. If I were to eat my protein with a starch (rice/potatoes) the calories would be significantly higher.
                            So what I need to do I guess, is significantly increase my fat intake. Throw that butter or olive oil on everything.
                            This way I will be able to increase the calories significantly (thus increase my metabolism) without adding any more volume to the food.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              No don't do that!
                              There are many anecdotes of low-calorie causing or worsening the skinny-fat situation. The rules of metabolism get weird if you're deficient in anything.

Protein shouldn't be a source of stress, just use the best sources to appetite. Try shopping for 1# animal foods, 1# whole starch, 1# vegetables, and 1# fruit per day for a while and your spontaneous activity should increase.
                              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
                              X