Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much is Too Much Fat

I realize that everyone's bodies are different, and that a persons individual needs are going to vary. But I am wondering what would be considered an astronomical number of grams of fat for me, a woman (30) who has a very very significant amount of weight to lose. (We are talking 200lbs) My lean body mass is about 150-160lbs. I have been doing PB to the best of my ability as I read as much as I can on the topic and this first week I lost 16lbs (which I suspect is purely water weight) That being said, after logging my food (eating fattier cuts of beef and chicken as well as eggs and bacon and whole fat cream for coffee and almonds for snack plus a bunch of veggies and some fruit here and there) I realize that some days I am eating somewhere between 110g of fat - 205g of fat. (I feel like the latter is too much) I am keeping my protein between 80-100g and carbs around 75. Am I completely just screwing this up? Haha, obviously my body is much happier on this kind of diet than my former diet of fast food and pasta BUT I need some direction and am not really finding it through already posted comments/questions. Advice would be great and please keep the sarcasm and not nice comments (that I have read on other people's questions) to a minimum please. Thank you in advance

I would recommend avoiding polyunsaturated fat, but I don't think eating large amounts of saturated fat is problematic. At worst, it would make you fat, but if you're currently losing fat then that's not an issue.
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

At worst, it would make you fat, but if you're currently losing fat then that's not an issue.
      That is exactly my question: Being that I am only entering my 2nd week and given that the 16lbs I have lost were primarily if not all water weight, how do I know if I am eating too much fat for fat loss? Because obviously I don't want to get fatter. Haha

Comment

Don't worry about it for now. Your numbers look perfect. I'd go another week before adjusting anything.

You sound pretty chipper. How's your energy level so far?
        What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

Thank you both and thank you Gdot for the confirmation that I should at least continue what I am doing for one more week before I make any adjustments.

and yes I am chipper, and feeling much more alert/energetic (not constantly fatigued like I was) as well as much less bloated/swollen. (my ankles went from undecipherable from my calves from swelling to I can see the bones on both inner and outer sides now haha)
          My PCP suggested I try PB after I blacked out while I was driving (very very scary) due to insanely low levels of vitamin D and other hormones issues related to my terrible diet that could have lead to me going unconscious. I am so thankful for her unconventional views on healthful eating . . . and also this forum and its (free) wealth of knowledge.

Comment

Given the additional information, I would focus on getting your nutrient levels and hormones sorted out first (this may take time, don't put too much pressure on yourself). Just eat to satiety for now, and make sure your energy is high and you feel good. You have the rest of your life to tweak and adjust your diet for weight loss or whatever other goals, so no rush.

Comment

Decide the protein and carbohydrate first then include enough fat to make your meal palatable and digestible. Staying on the lower side of comfortable may help fat loss.

In practice, natural meat/egg fat + a normal amount of butter or dressing on vegetables are core foods. Cured meat (bacon), cream, and nuts are flavor treats to consider minimizing.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot View Post
                I would recommend avoiding polyunsaturated fat, but I don't think eating large amounts of saturated fat is problematic. At worst, it would make you fat, but if you're currently losing fat then that's not an issue.
                Totally disagree!

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                  Decide the protein and carbohydrate first then include enough fat to make your meal palatable and digestible. Staying on the lower side of comfortable may help fat loss.

In practice, natural meat/egg fat + a normal amount of butter or dressing on vegetables are core foods. Cured meat (bacon), cream, and nuts are flavor treats to consider minimizing.
                  I couldn't agree with this more. Normal is the key not over doing it and especially with the cured meats.
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

~ Theodor Seuss Geisel aka... Dr. Seuss ~

Comment

quality bacon is not a problem, but supermarket bacon shouldn't be an everyday food.

make sure to incorporate some wild fish, liver and oogly bits into your week's food.

try to break the snack habit, especially with nuts. for now it's no big deal, but they are a weight-loss saboteur for most. small servings are calorie bombs and portion control can be an issue.

don't be afraid to include potatoes and other tubers too.

have you started taking d3 yet? it can take a long time to get your levels back to a safe range and that will go a very long way in helping with your disregulated hormones.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I am glad you posted this question and I stumbled upon it. I am new to the Paleo diet and hadn't even considered that I could be eating too much fat! I guess because I tend to choose lean meats, fruits, and veggies any way, I wasn't worried about it adding up. I know healthy fats are supposed to be good for you, but I would limit some foods like nuts and avocados since I've read eating too much of those can cause weight gain. I guess I need to be more diligent about reading labels for more than carbs. Thanks for posting!

-Cgbrooks
                      http://daily-paleo-recipes.com
                      Cgbrooks
                      http://daily-paleo-recipes.com

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post

I agree with this approach 100%.
                        In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by krissy0809 View Post
                          I I need some direction and am not really finding it through already posted comments/questions.
                          First -- a heads up. You're only in the second week. You're due for Carb Flu in 10-14 days, so your energy levels may take a dive. Please do not give into carbs during the flu, and I totally suggest that you STAY AWAY from the forum too.

The best guidance is to be found in The Primal Blueprint book, Weight Loss Macronutrient Plan, page 239-243 of the updated paperback edition. Mark goes on to give examples for a hypothetical Kelly Korg on page 249. Just stay away from the nuts, and don't count on your satiety signals to tell you when to stop eating fat. Count your fat grams manually.

For a specific number of fat grams... it depends on how tall you are. 160 pounds lean mass sounds awfully high... are you 6'2"?
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

If it is working, stay with it. Fat loss is slow. When/if it stops working..... I'd reduce the fat and keep the carbs and protein. Ifyou have 200 lbs to lose, and something is working, just keep it simple and stay the course until you need to change. If you are eating those foods, satisfied, not dying to cheat and losing weight just be happy.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                            X