Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want waffles . . .

Ok, so I've been using a waffle recipe to get my pretend "carb fix". (1/2 cup almond meal, 2 eggs, cinnamon, drizzle of honey, 1/4 tsp. baking soda) Is this ok? Or am I fooling myself that this is way different than traditional waffles with flour?

You're fooling yourself.

If you really want waffles, eat waffles.

Comment

It depends on how badly your body reacts to flour. For me, if I were having such a craving, finding a good substitute for a one-time fix instead of having the real thing would be worth it. I can't just go back and forth between gluten free and non-gluten free. For one thing, it's too painful. My joints hurt, my stomach hurts, and I get depressed and self-destructive. It also brings back my voracious pre-paleo appetite and makes me more susceptible to cheats - basically like giving a little heroin to a junkie.

Comment

Oh true if you're gluten intolerant then its marginally better. But its junk food. It shouldn't be a daily meal.

Comment

Originally posted by MuchLove View Post
          Oh true if you're gluten intolerant then its marginally better. But its junk food. It shouldn't be a daily meal.
          Agreed!

Comment

So almond meal has gluten/grains? Thought it was just blanched almonds ground up. I don't really have any major sensitivities but have several conditions (endometriosis, lymphocytic colitis, and interstitial cystitis) that cause or are exacerbated by inflammation. And I wanted to try cutting out carbs and excess sugar in an effort to stop "feeding" the inflammation cycle. It's only been a bit over two weeks, but I feel a lot better. And am not on the constant high/low carb eating roller coaster. Plus, like you said....take away my "crack" and it's easier to eat good things.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

No I mean if you are gluten intolerant then obviously almond is better than wheat.

Comment

No, almond meal should not have gluten or grains. And if you have that many conditions, then you probably do have a sub-clinical gluten intolerance (meaning it won't be detected by a blood test but becomes obvious through elimination). If you're just starting, using the waffle recipe as a transitional food isn't all bad. It helps break the addiction. But if you keep using it long-term it will inhibit your progress overall. Whether your goal is weight loss or reduced inflammation, your diet will require occasional tweaking to keep getting the same results. Things improve rapidly in the beginning because you eliminate so many things that are irritating, but if you find you aren't getting all the way there, to the result you want, then keep moving towards a diet based entirely, or at least 90%, on real, whole foods.

Comment

Those waffles sound good to me. You can also do the egg & banana waffles or pancakes that are detailed in a large thread somewhere on this site. I've made them as pancakes for the kids and they liked them. Eggs, bananas & a blender - simple.

Comment

Ok. So I asked the question...and now I'm arguing with you all. 😏 But if I can eat eggs, and almonds on Primal why is this recipe such a no no? (The honey I get)

Comment

It really ultimately depends on your personal goals and your body, really. Not everyone does well with a lot of nuts or nut meals in their diet. They do carry a pretty heavy carb load. And almond meal/flour is not really the same as eating whole almonds. In general, "paleo" baked goods fit into the diet better as an occasional treat than as an everyday item. But if the results you get eating the waffles are good enough for you, then that's what really matters. If you feel like you're not getting results, then eliminate them.

Comment

Lots of nuts isn't good. They are often rather hard to digest. Ground almond is as refined as a grain flour. It's much more almond than you would ever normally eat. Can you imagine shelling enough almonds to get the flour?

The eggs are OK but why not just eat eggs? If you want something sweet enjoy fruit? Even dark chocolate is better IMO, easier to digest and you can eat a small serving.

Comment

Thanks for your input and advice. I'm assuming this applies to coconut "flour" and all other substitute flours/meals? I do eat eggs some mornings. I. Just. Love. Carbs. Up until two weeks ago I had oatmeal or cereal every morning. Or pancakes. Or waffles. So just trying to find better options that I truly enjoy. And I don't enjoy eating eggs. It's just ok. Eat and move on. I like how I feel...I just need to find a way to mesh the two. Because I want to love what I eat. And thank goodness for dark chocolate. Because if that was on the "don't touch it" list, I'd be out.

Comment

Breakfast is my biggest struggle. I can totally do protein and veggies for lunch and dinner and enjoy it. Throw in an apple, great. A few nuts, wonderful. A square of dark chocolate and a cup of tea, perfect. Breakfast is just my struggle.

Comment

Breakfast is a common struggle. I opted for a long time to skip the struggle altogether and just do intermittent fasting with Bulletproof coffee (coffee with butter and coconut oil, if you haven't come across it yet) instead of breakfast. I generally don't get hungry until late morning. Now that I've completely broken my carb addiction, which took a little time (I've been eating primal/paleo for over a year) it doesn't bother me to have eggs for breakfast pretty much every day, or to have whatever meat and vegetable combination is convenient. Your taste buds will eventually change if you stick to it and continue reducing high-GI, sugary foods (like apples - sorry) and it makes the whole thing easier. But it's okay to take it slow, too, and stair-step your eliminations. Keep going with what you're doing for as long as it gets results, then tweak more. But continuing to include "treats" as part of your everyday diet rather than occasional monotony-breakers you may sabotage yourself in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                              X