Ad Widget

Collapse

Cravings

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cravings

    A bit of background to put this into context:
    I work as a PT in England, started lifting and getting into health and fitness a few years ago, originally I fasted a la Leangains and yoyo'd with that for a while, now I have a much healthier relationship with food, I think!

    Throughout the day, I'm usually quite content eating meats, eggs, fruit and veg but the evenings I always seem to crave sweets or some baked goods (I love to bake ) I'm a healthy weight and BF% and, even though like most people I look at myself and think I could lose a lb or two, I'm in pretty good shape. I wonder whether I'm not eating enough? I don't want to get too neurotic about calories or macros as that sends me the other way from past experience.

    A normal day would be 4 eggs with a banana for breakfast and then some kind of meat at lunch time followed by 10-11oz of ground beef with mushrooms, onions for dinner.

    Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

  • #2
    Less meat more veggies

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe get some starchy vegetables with your evening meal? If you're physically active and not too concerned with dropping more body fat, I can't see it being a problem.

      Comment


      • #4
        gelatin
        My opinions and some justification

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Elliot View Post
          gelatin
          How does gelatin curb cravings for sweets and baked goods?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Legenary1 View Post
            Throughout the day, I'm usually quite content eating meats, eggs, fruit and veg but the evenings I always seem to crave sweets or some baked goods (I love to bake )
            Is your craving for sweets alleviated by devouring an obscene amount of fruit? I eat pretty low carb now, but once in a while (about every week or two) I'll find myself eyeing the cakes and muffins at the grocery store and salivating. When that happens I just gorge on fruit (with zero concern for glycemic index, total carbs or anything else) and the craving goes away.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nightly Orange View Post
              Is your craving for sweets alleviated by devouring an obscene amount of fruit? I eat pretty low carb now, but once in a while (about every week or two) I'll find myself eyeing the cakes and muffins at the grocery store and salivating. When that happens I just gorge on fruit (with zero concern for glycemic index, total carbs or anything else) and the craving goes away.
              Not a bad method IMO

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                How does gelatin curb cravings for sweets and baked goods?
                I don't know if gelatin would specifically curb cravings for sweets or baked goods. But he said "Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed," so I interpreted that loosely.
                My opinions and some justification

                Comment


                • #9
                  Have you tried giving in a little and having some dark chocolate? It's Paleo and you don't need much to satisfy your sweet tooth. I get cravings in the evening too, so some times I will dip a piece of dark chocolate in natural almond butter (sugar free) and it seems to help. Mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and nutmeg also seem to help with my cravings since it's kind of sweet.

                  -cgbrooks
                  http://daily-paleo-recipes.com
                  Cgbrooks
                  http://daily-paleo-recipes.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    Not a bad method IMO
                    Sounds reasonable to me too
                    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Amen to the chocolate
                      Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                      Old Paths ... New Journeys

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        lack of protein or lack of sleep both make me crave sweets.
                        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                        – Ernest Hemingway

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The only time I tend to crave sweets/carbs is if I don't eat enough good fats in the day. This is actually not as easy to do as I thought it would be. I actually have to either take a few tablespoons of olive oil throughout the day or eat fatty meats. Protein in excess will metabolize into carbs. Also a late day or night cravings for carbs could be a sign that you need a leptin reset. A good source of info about this is jack Kruse's book epi-paleo Rx.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by paleodog View Post
                            The only time I tend to crave sweets/carbs is if I don't eat enough good fats in the day. This is actually not as easy to do as I thought it would be. I actually have to either take a few tablespoons of olive oil throughout the day or eat fatty meats. Protein in excess will metabolize into carbs. Also a late day or night cravings for carbs could be a sign that you need a leptin reset. A good source of info about this is jack Kruse's book epi-paleo Rx.
                            a protein does not magically transform into a carb. that is flat-out wrong.

                            what is with the revival of the leptin reset around here? kruse is a nutcake promoting quackery.
                            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                            – Ernest Hemingway

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes and no. Excess protein can turn into fat on your hips and elsewhere. And by the process of gluconeogenesis, excess might be turned into a carb, except that said procedure is a slow process and hasn't been demonstrated beyond question to date. Satiety, OTOH, is a temporary condition when the body's customary fuels are delivered. Protein and fat satiety are more achievable than carb satiety for the same amounts, ie, gram weight.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X