Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much fat?

Well after eating so much fat (a few times) as to literally hurting my insides and the relentless complaints of my parents about damaging my liver I wonder exactly where's the ideal amount of fats I should eat.

So, if the amount of fat that will literally start hurting me is, say, X. And what I usually eat is between a third and two thirds of that amount (what it usually takes for me to feel 100% full afterwards), is that amount about right? Should I try to keep my fats to the point where I'm a little more hungry than too full, or eat as much as I like and a little more or should I eat less in general or what?

Thanks

you shouldn't be relying solely on fats to sate you. protein is the most sating of the macros anyway.

how much fat you eat depends on what else you eat and what your goals are.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
      you shouldn't be relying solely on fats to sate you. protein is the most sating of the macros anyway.

how much fat you eat depends on what else you eat and what your goals are.
      I eat a lot of protein plus fats really, and some carbs too (too many sometimes but no cereals nor legumes nor excessive sweets).

Comment

What do you eat in a typical day? Body weight, height, goals?

Comment

Originally posted by vb66 View Post
          What do you eat in a typical day? Body weight, height, goals?
          I eat lots of proteins and fats every day plus a nice amount of carbs 100-150g a day. I'm 17, slim and my goal is to stay well.

Comment

I think you overinterpreted the "high fat" part of Primal. Primal doesn't mean stuff up on fat deliberately. It only means that you're eating more fat compared to low-fat SAD Standard American Diet.

Don't stress over it. A good rule of thumb is to just eat the amount of meat that makes you full. The animal fat in that meat is automatically close to the amount of fat that you should be eating. Add a little butter for frying or a little olive oil for salad, if you want it, but the animal fat is enough.
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
              I think you overinterpreted the "high fat" part of Primal. Primal doesn't mean stuff up on fat deliberately. It only means that you're eating more fat compared to low-fat SAD Standard American Diet.

Don't stress over it. A good rule of thumb is to just eat the amount of meat that makes you full. The animal fat in that meat is automatically close to the amount of fat that you should be eating. Add a little butter for frying or a little olive oil for salad, if you want it, but the animal fat is enough.
              In my case is the opposite, I actually eat lean meat with lots of olive oil (in form of home-made mayonnaise), is that a problem?

Comment

Still trying too hard.

Comment

How much fat is a good question. I think it varies considerably from person to person, based on the degree of fat-burning gene expression we've accomplished from our primal experience. If insulin response (due to low carb intake and moderate protein intake) is pretty low when we're consuming high levels of fats, the excess calories should cause a higher metabolism with extended energy output, slowly burning off the excess calories instead of storing them in fat cells. Does anyone else see it that way?
                  Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                  Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Instead of just saying I eat lots of meat and fats. Take a week and log everything you eat and plunk it into any number of online calculators to see what your balance is. You need not do this forever but a week or two will give you an idea.

The balance of macros really does depend on who you are, what your goals are and what your health is like.

If you are 17 and slim and healthy then your goals are to get fitter and not loose weight so you want to be eating enough protein for muscle building, fats to fill in calories and enough carbs to accommodate your activities. Also you are a teen so you are still growing and will likely need more food just cause.

While it would be hard to eat enough fat to hurt yourself, it will at some point require you to exclude other nutrient dense foods which will cause problems in the long run. As you dont need to loose weight a fat heavy Ketogenic diet is likely not required so fill up on protein and Veggies for every meal with fats for cooking and taste. As a rough guide I make every meal by Volume of food, 2/3 veggies 1/3 protein and I cook with fats. Eat till satisfied, not stuffed and pay attention to how your look feel and perform. If you find you get hungry often eat more food at each meal or more fats with your food. Eat when hungry and your body will tell you what you need.

Good luck.
                    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
                      Well after eating so much fat (a few times) as to literally hurting my insides and the relentless complaints of my parents about damaging my liver I wonder exactly where's the ideal amount of fats I should eat.
                      Either I' m confused or you may be misinformed. It would be very difficult to forcefeed yourself enough healthy fats to hurt yourself, and they can't damage your liver. The "fatty liver" disease is not caused by eating healthy fats. Are you just referring to overeating to the point of a stomachache? That isn't because of fats.

The answer is eat as much as you want to without gorging, until you are satisfied, as long as you are sticking to healthy fats and avoiding most refined carbs. Don't combine high fat with lots of refined carbohydrates, as that combination is very bad. But if you are avoiding most sugar and flour and just eating reasonable carbs, then you can eat as much healthy fat as you want.

Comment

Well actually my only worry is about my liver really, I mean it's not like I believe everything my parents tell me but you know I'm not sure if eating too many fats might have something wrong. Are you completely sure the liver won't have any kind of damage? How does it work?

But thanks for your great advice!

Comment

Just focus on whole foods as much as possible. Meat/Eggs, Fish, Birds. Veggies, Fruit, Nuts.

Learn more about the different kinds of fats. You will not likely do yourself any harm at all by consuming lots of quality olive oil.

Look up the Predimed study for information that your parents might appreciate.
                          What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

First on the fatty liver disease. Instead of believing mom and dad, you might want to google it, then check out one of the reputable sources that comes up to learn what causes it and what it actually is.

I remember when MDA went through an "Eat MOAR Fat" phase and some people were trying to push their fat intake to 70% of total calories. I could never do it. Much over 50-55%, and I get queasy.

You may be eating more fat than you think, even eating lean meat. Except for some seafood and chicken breasts, most animals, especially four-legged ones, bring fat with their protein.

Using 95/5 ground beef, which is about the leanest available in stores, as an example:

According to Cronometer, 8 oz of 95/5 ground beef has 296 calories, 48.4 grams of protein, and 11.3 grams of fat (zero carbs).

11.3 grams of fat x 9 calories/gram = 101.7 calories (call it 102)

Calories from fat 102 divided by calories of the whole 296 ~ .34 or 34%

So, while your butcher isn't lying that his meat is 95/5, he's using the weight of the product. When looking at macros, you're looking at percentage of total calories. Using that, your 95/5 beef by weight becomes 66/34 by calorie.

IOW, while it's perfectly fine to use olive oil and butter for cooking, not to mention yummy, there's rarely a need to over do it.

We all have a tendency to do the more is better approach. "Don't be afraid of fat" becomes "Eat MOAR Fat." Use the Carb Curve becomes, "If 50 grams are good, 20 grams are better," resulting in, "I feel like crap" threads resulting in "advice" to stuff one's self full of carbs. And round and round.

For the most part, if you plan your protein and carbs, the fat will follow. But if you need assistance in the beginning, use a food tracker to get the pattern into your brain so that it will come automatically.

Good luck!
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              We all have a tendency to do the more is better approach. "Don't be afraid of fat" becomes "Eat MOAR Fat." Use the Carb Curve becomes, "If 50 grams are good, 20 grams are better," resulting in, "I feel like crap" threads resulting in "advice" to stuff one's self full of carbs. And round and round.
                              Co-sign
                              Parents can be a drag. In my kitchen rendered fats belong in the "flavor" cupboard (alongside salt, honey, vinegar, spices). When in doubt imagine the quantity a pre-modern home cook would use (1500~1850 AD), not a calculator.
                              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
                              X