No announcement yet.

Some nutrition question regarding protein intake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I realize that life can at times intrude on our goals for health, there are usually small ways you can fit in a little movement. If you work in a cubicle or office, you can get up at least every hour and do some squats. If you work in a building and you're not on the bottom floor, you can at least walk down the stairs instead of using an elevator. If you take a lunch break, go outside and take a walk (this has the added benefit of getting some sun).

Wake up in the morning and do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9yw2WVzLWM (It's only three and a half minutes.)

Chances are that if you're that sedentary, you're not going to just jump up one morning and take a one-hour walk before work. So make little changes. The three minute youtube link and a 15 minute walk at lunch is 18 minutes per day or 109 hours per year that you weren't moving. Surely you have 18 minutes a day to devote to yourself.

While it's true that 80-90% of one's weight is from diet, that assumes at least a modicum of activity. Your level of inactivity is just plain unhealthy. Once you start moving, even a little, you'll find yourself with more energy, and perhaps (probably) better focus on mental endeavors.

Good luck.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Ergot View Post
      Hello,

I guess I'm doing this primal diet without even knowing it.
      Basically after reading some stuff on ketosis I started to eat protein and fat only.
      I don't know how far what you've specifically asked has been answered for you, Ergot. I'll try to help to best of my ability.

First, Mark's diet -- The Primal Blueprint -- is more of a meat (fat and lean) and vegetables diet than a fat-and-protein diet. He's coined a term "big ass salad" and believes in chowing down on a lot of low-glycemic index vegetables and even including some fruit. He does list ketosis as a place on his Carbohydrate Curve, but seems to regard it as something one might want to take occasional excursions into rather than place he would regularly eat at. Maybe ketosis would actually be better -- it almost certainly would be for some specific groups, such as epileptics, diabetics, those with Parkinsons or Alzheimers, Multiple Sclerosis, aerobic athletes, and Special Operations Soldiers, including divers using rebreathers -- but it's not what the Primal Blueprint lays out as its standard dietary solution.

However I just learn about gluconeogenesis, and you guys seems to know everything about
      nutrition here, I really like to read what you think about this.
      Yes, you're right; it's an issue. It can knock you out of ketosis, as you say. There are actually a number of other concerns, including the suggestion that over-indulging in protein might teach your body to get very good at gluconeogenesis such that when you're asleep and can't eat carbohydrate, it might get pretty good at robbing out protein from your own tissues. It's been suggested that the high incidence of osteoporosis in modern societies might be down to this effect -- protein in bone is perhaps being broken down to feed people's sugar-habit as they sleep. Bone is, of course, composed of a mineral matrix and protein component within that -- and it's the protein that gives the bones their flexibility. There's actually a whole raft of concerns around too high protein, including the role of mTOR in ageing, and spontaneous abortion owing to excess protein that can occur in pregnant women. Even Professor Cordain, who generally recommends a higher level of protein than low-carb advocates do, has concerns about the latter and has stated them publicly.

Dr. Ron Rosedale has long suggested that low-carb diets should not be high in protein, as they frequently have been in the past, and most low-carb advocates seem to have come around to his way of thinking. This is worth listening to:

Ron Rosedale – Protein: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly | Me and My Diabetes

Basically my goal is to loose weight while being sedentary.

So what I know from GNG is that if you eat too much protein your body converts
      it to glucose, and it can break you ketosis if you go above your ketosis glucose
      treshold (30g for me)

I weight 74Kg, I noticed that I am eating around 150g of protein per day and I did not loose weight in 2 weeks.
      You are probably eating rather more protein than most low-carb advocates recommend. The figure should be based on lean bodymass not total bodymass. Experts in these diets tend to say that something like 1 to 1.5 grammes per kilogramme of lean bodymass is best for most individuals. So if you had, say, 15% bodyfat, your lean bodymass would be 63g. You'd then need to eat around 63 to 95 grammes of protein a day.

And if ketosis is your goal, you'd be very unlikely to get into it at 150g of protein a day.

For example this morning I ate :
      110g of cheese - 23.65P / 0.55G / 28.93L / 357Kcal
      then at noon I ate :
      110g of cheese and 150g of saussage - 64.15P / 5.35G / 75.43L / 956Kcal (and I could have eaten more!)

So I'm at a total of :
      88P / 6G / 104L / 1314Kcal
      It's not the sort of food choices that would be recommended in food plans offered by any low-carb advocates i know of. I don't know of anyone in the field who suggests not eating above-ground vegetables and salads.

There's a lot of misinformation in the field. Some peoples have eaten very little besides meat (fat and lean) for much of the year at least. This is known, whether carboholics like it or not. However, note these people are known to have eaten the brains, the marrow, the adrenal glands (higher in vitamin C than any plant source) and so on. They weren't eating sausage and cheese.

Eat a variety of meats, including organ meats. And choose seafood fairly often, too. Normal sized portions of low-glycemic-index vegetables and salads won't hurt you, won't put you out of ketosis (if you ever get in it) and will supply some micronutrients, and soluble fibre, to you. They can also act as a base for melted butter or olive oil and lemon juice.

That your gut microbiome will break down if you eat a ketogenic diet is a piece of pure fantasy and histrionics put out by people who feel they must propagandise on behalf of carbohydrates. Much of the "paleo" blogosphere has been induced to believe this. The truth is that the microbiome will change -- but perhaps for the better. You'd be hard put to find any real expert in the area who would be prepared to definitively state for one diet or another, although the experts have their own preferences and back their hunches, of course.

There's a complete series on the gut microbiome put out by the very talented Shelley Schlender, who also blogs with the Paleo Godfather, Professor Loren Cordain, and whose own site I linked above in another context.

Microbes & Health | Series | Me and My Diabetes

In these interviews, Shelley talks to several researchers in the area of diet and gut health. They don't all think in quite the same way, and the series is a good eye-opener, simultaneously informing one while at the same time making one aware of just what we don't know. Good to remember next time one sees some confident assertion from a non-scientist on a paleo blog.

looks like I should not eat protein for today but I don't know what I could eat, every fatty food I know contain protein.
      I think you need to get a good book, read up in depth, and follow a plan that's known to work. I'd suggest this book:

Amazon.fr - The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable - RD, Jeff S. Volek PhD, PhD, Stephen D. Phinney MD - Livres

The most recent book on ketogenic diets, and the one with the fullest information and the most interviews with clinical professionals using the diet and researchers studying it is this one:

Amazon.fr - Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet - Jimmy Moore, Eric Westman MD - Livres

As a software engineer you'll be aware of the need to measure and to monitor. If you're serious about ketogenic diets you really need to get hold of a ketone-meter, so you can see what's happening. There are blood-meters around, but I don't think they're particularly easy to get outside the U.S. There is a Swedish guy who's just designed and marketed a ketone breath meter, though. Here it is:

https://www.ketonix.com

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
      Last edited by Lewis; 12-11-2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X